Question about exercise?

Options
Hello! My endocrinologist recommended me this app, and I was blown away by the community!
I had a question, though, and was really curious about it.

I live a mostly sedentary lifestyle due to health issues. Obviously increasing my exercise and reducing my caloric intake would be ideal, but it's not always possible for me. Recently I've started taking a short, brisk walk with my dog every day, and I'm hoping to increase this over time, but I see a lot of members doing so much more - is walking okay to start out with, or will I not meet my goals without a harder workout? I guess my real question is - Is exercise paramount to losing weight, if I meet my calorie goal each day?

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic exercise! Don't worry about what you can't do, and don't worry about comparing yourself to other users. It's about the calorie deficit. Cardio exercise only helps increase that. Work on those walks and work on increasing them, and you'll be doing fabulously. Good luck!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    For me, yes, exercise is more important than meating calorie goals. I have a bad knee, hips, no thyroid, and other health issues. I walk my dog twice a day, and go to the gym 5 days a week. People told me to swim, but that hurts my knee. I tried group classes like cardio kickboxing, but hurt my knee. I can't stand for long periods of time. I dared myself to try indoor cycling, and found my "thing". I'm addicted.

Start with walking the dog. If your health problems don't allow you a lot at once, that's ok. Take the dog on multiple walks. It's not the intensity sometimes, but just doing it. Suprise yourself with different things. Some things you'll like and alot of things you won't. Just keep moving. Challenge yourself. You're not in competition with anyone, but yourself.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Exercise is so important for the long haul. Just do what you can. A lot of people on these boards did not start off doing what they can now. Keep walking your dog and after a week or two of consistency you can mix it up, i.e. walk an extra block or two, or try to cut a couple of minutes off of your normal time. If you stay at it you will be surprised at how fast you will start noticing the changes in your abilities.
  • michellelandis33
    Options
    I have been using this site for 2 weeks and have lost definitely 6 lbs or more. I journal my food the day of and the day after so I can see it for myself and preplan and edit. I am very careful, I go for walks to 30-75 mins. depending on day / weather...you can lose weight by just watching your calories for every 3500 cal. you don't eat you lose a pound. So I know I am losing and doing well. If you give up 500 calories per day in a full week you will lose 1 lb. Exercise bumps you up a notch..burning calories...So you can burn off a salad just like that. and sleep burns off calories and so does not eating 3 hours before you go to bed . It's your life you have to take control of it and do it for you. It can be hard or easy ...your choices matter make them count...I do. I choose me and I am more confident with this food journal figuring it all out for me and you will too. Just don't cheat or lie because you will be only lieing and cheating yourself. My best wishes to you.
  • bobbilum
    Options
    There are always those who can and do exercise more rigorously, but trust me, they all started out somewhere. If you overdo, you will feel sore, or possibly injure yourself, and then you'll be less likely to exercise at all.

I remember reporting to my doctor about how much walking I was doing, and I was pretty proud of myself! I'd lost weight, my bp was down, and my a1c was in the "non diabetic' range. She seemed pleased with my efforts.

The next week, I saw on facebook that she totally shredded an ironman race. I felt a little deflated, but then realized that I don't have to be that person who is out running races every weekend, or spending hours at the gym lifting weights.

All I had to be is accountable to myself. Same for you. Good start on your fitness journey, and keep it up!
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The only thing 'paramount' to losing weight is the calorie deficit (less calories consumed to calories burnt)

Log everything you eat
    Log every bit of exercise you do

If you are only capable right now to go for walks, that's fine, every little helps :)

If you are feeling unwell or incapable for your walk one day then just plan your meals in advance and adjust how many calories your going to take in.
    If you feel like you want to binge a little bit, then up your exercise (if you can only handle a brisk walk, then maybe try multiple brisk walks spaced throughout the day).

As long as your not eating more calories than your burning... the world is your oyster :D

Good luck

xxx
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. Research suggests that one gets impressive cardiovascular benefits with very little exercise -- as long as there is some and as long as it is regular. If you are meeting your calorie goals, you are making progress. Don't worry about doing more. That will probably come with time.