Fitbit monitor?

Options
I joined TOPS this week. Only $29 a year. I figured any additional support I can get during the week can't hurt. So, whether I like it or not, I have to scale once a week at the meeting ;-) I'm also thinking of buying a Fitbit wristband monitor. Anyone use one of those?

Replies

• egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have one of the clip-on Fitbits and I really like it. Hooks in to MFP so it automatically tracks my exercise calories here :smile:
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Fitbit Zip yesterday and set it up this morning. I noticed that even though they claim their engineers have done what they can to create an algorithm that excludes activities like driving, it's not that effective in doing so and requires the user to override the mis-recorded steps (while driving in my case) via the dashboard. Other than that, it seems like another pretty cool tool to keep one's self motivated and engaged in a healthier lifestyle. Oh, and I really do like the sync functionality it has with MFP.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I know some hate them but I have a Fitbit One and it's been instrumental in my keeping off the 2st I lost in the past year. I hit goal in Feb, ignored new cal limits on Biggest Loser site where I lost my wt and bought a Fitbit and used it very precisely.

As a research nurse I trust NO gadget and am sceptical about many research articles, mechanical items/gadgets need regular calibration to claim to be perfection and also research advice varies from one week to the next and depends on group studied, bias, data integrity, generalisability etc. What I'm trying to say is that nothing is perfect but Fitbit was perfect for me. As a nurse I can't wear things on my wrist and also wanted a device I could wear all the time to capture my activity overall not just for gym time and I also do various activities which don't necessarily up my heart rate.

I enter when I've driven to negate steps added from bumpy roads and record everything. I watch the trends not just daily stats for the reasons stated above and have not had any cause to doubt my gadget. I have gained when expected (hols or drop in exercise) and lost when expected. I love the graphs and way info is presented generally and sync it via my phone when out. I would never have maintained without it as I can spot whether I've been a bit sedentary and jump on my mini trampoline to make up for it.

I'm not defending Fitbit or attacking any other device or approach. Horses for courses and this is my chosen horse - dead or alive!
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Fitbit Zip yesterday and set it up this morning. I noticed that even though they claim their engineers have done what they can to create an algorithm that excludes activities like driving, it's not that effective in doing so and requires the user to override the mis-recorded steps (while driving in my case) via the dashboard. Other than that, it seems like another pretty cool tool to keep one's self motivated and engaged in a healthier lifestyle. Oh, and I really do like the sync functionality it has with MFP.

Appropriate time to see this again since I just got back from my daily walk :bigsmile:

The only time mine has erroneously recorded drive time as steps is when I take a bumpy dirt road out of my neighborhood as a shortcut. I rarely do it, so it's not a real pain to override, but would not want to have to override every day!
  • kathyflannery129
    kathyflannery129 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i have the fitbit one and love it...very accurate, doesn't count bumps in the car etc.....and friends on your leaderboard are very encouraging....motivates me to put out more everyday
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip and have never had an issue.
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex. I chose it over the others available at the time because I don't have to remember to put it on and take it off all the time since it goes on my wrist and I can wear it in the shower. Sometimes I wear dresses that don't have a convenient place to clip a Zip or what have you, and I'm horribly forgetful. I'm curious to see reviews of the new Fitbit Force once it's been out a while longer. I like that it has a watch and also measures stair climbing as well as having a display for stats, but I already have my Flex and don't want to jump on the "oooh, new shiny" as it wouldn't be financially wise.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had two fitbits and frankly saw little point to them. I have a sedentary lifestyle (full time desk job) and work out vigorously daily. So I know about how many calories I burn on days I don't exercise (including mowing the lawn, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. which are included in the standard calorie burn estimates for sedentary people) . And I know how many calories I burn when I exercise (how long I walk or run, how far, etc.). The fitbit did little but confirm those estimates. It also was another expense in time and money. I'm not sure who would benefit from these things unless all your exercise is passive in which I'd suggest changing that fact.
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one as well - and I love it. I have to remember everything in moderation, that includes information too. I'm not too hung up on worrying about car rides, and the exact accuracy of the fitbit. What I am tracking are my tendencies. The best advice I have every gotten is that if it is working for you keep at it.

This goes for all of my tracking on MFP as well. I estimate my portions and I don't get my panties in a twist if I'm not exact. I am losing weight for now, and when I'm ready to get REALLY ripped I know I may have to change my practices. But it is working for now and the fitbit motivates me to get up and walk to get those steps in!
  • sodeelish
    sodeelish Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and I like it. It's just a fancy pedometer, but I like seeing the stats. Even if they aren't accurate and to the t, I think it's been useful in keeping me motivated and constantly keeping in mind my goal by checking the app. I don't mind the manual input because its the same information I would be putting into MFP anyways. At first, I thought it would be more intuitive on its own and was a bit disappointed at first to see it wasn't the magical arm robot meter I wanted it to be, but with continual use, I've come to love it a lot. It's hard for me to even want to take it off to charge it.
  • BlackRose278
    BlackRose278 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use it, and i'm going to be honest: it's a great idea. It lets you remember that you burn calories throughout the day, and not just during exercising. That way, you know exactly how much you burned that day! It also gives you goals that you have to reach each week. For me, it's 70,000 steps a week, which isn't hard at all, it's only 10,000 a day. (that' literally me walking: to class and back 2 times, and exercising for an hour that day on the treadmill).

I really recommend it! it's phenomenal!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Get a car usb charger adapter & plug your fitbit charger into it while you are driving. It wont pick up anything while charging.
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. It's good because it makes you aware of your activity during the day and I find it motivating.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I had two fitbits and frankly saw little point to them. I have a sedentary lifestyle (full time desk job) and work out vigorously daily. So I know about how many calories I burn on days I don't exercise (including mowing the lawn, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. which are included in the standard calorie burn estimates for sedentary people) . And I know how many calories I burn when I exercise (how long I walk or run, how far, etc.). The fitbit did little but confirm those estimates. It also was another expense in time and money. I'm not sure who would benefit from these things unless all your exercise is passive in which I'd suggest changing that fact.

My ticker shows who would benefit from it. 1 year later & I'm still able to do nothing but 30,000 steps a day or more & keep my weight off easily.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options

My ticker shows who would benefit from it. 1 year later & I'm still able to do nothing but 30,000 steps a day or more & keep my weight off easily.

Excellent! Then it really can be valuable for some.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Get a car usb charger adapter & plug your fitbit charger into it while you are driving. It wont pick up anything while charging.

I don't believe the Zip model has the rechargeable feature, does it?
  • headfullofsongs
    headfullofsongs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My fitbit flex is the best money I've spent, aside from my treadmill and food scale, for this long journey I'm on. I agree that it's a fancy pedometer, but the fancy is the bit that keeps me motivated each day. I love seeing those goals turn green!