feeling discouraged :( losing pounds but not inches

Options
so i know ive posted this before but im really feeling down. i started at 145 and now m 124.5 (i'm 5'0) but i feel like my prob area is still big. i keep thinking if i keep losing, ill be underweightand have that big belly.i can't make it to a gym (can't afford it) and im home always with my son. ll i have been doing was dieting with light activity (cleaning, vacuuming standard house wife stuff lol) i kno i should work out more. i read a post that belly pouches wont ever go away without surgery. i dont have loose skin, its just a fat roll. im so upset. anyone have any advice? please no rude comments cause sometimes i read other's post and ppl can get quite rude.

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    so i know ive posted this before but im really feeling down. i started at 145 and now m 124.5 (i'm 5'0) but i feel like my prob area is still big. i keep thinking if i keep losing, ill be underweightand have that big belly.i can't make it to a gym (can't afford it) and im home always with my son. ll i have been doing was dieting with light activity (cleaning, vacuuming standard house wife stuff lol) i kno i should work out more. i read a post that belly pouches wont ever go away without surgery. i dont have loose skin, its just a fat roll. im so upset. anyone have any advice? please no rude comments cause sometimes i read other's post and ppl can get quite rude.

Have you tried some body weight strength training? No equipment required, just yourself. Squats, lunges, push-ups, etc. ... Check out http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ and give it a whirl on alternate days

Editing to add that strength training can change your body in ways that your light cleaning/other activities won't. I can't guarantee that it'll completely eliminate the belly pooch, but it'll certainly help
  • ready4it4
    ready4it4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    a belly will go away without surgery. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. For some people, (myself included) the belly is the first place you gain weight and the last place you lose. For some people it is quite easier. But I would say for most it is hard work. period. You yourself most likely won't get there without hard work and that includes exercise. It's frustrating but either you work for it, or you learn to accept it.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't really specifically direct weight loss in target areas. It is true that working out more might help tone your body overall. What if your son and you started taking more walks together? Eventually, maybe you could make this more into a walking/jogging combination too. I'd also suggest that maybe you try workout videos that can be found for free on Youtube with a set of 5 lb weights. 30 Day Shred is a great choice. Even 30 minutes of extra fitness 5 times a week outside of your routine can make a huge difference in that regard.

Otherwise, I would keep eating well and losing some more weight that way. At 5'0", BMI considers "normal weight" to be between about 100 and 125 lbs for a woman, so losing more won't make you underweight at this point.
  • I am so sorry to hear your frustrated. I do have some advice. If you can afford to buy TRX straps AKA "gravity straps" you could work out at home. They run around $30. You can do everything with them and tone and strengthen your entire body. I was so sore after using them. Here is a video from youtube with the possible exercises-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yep5YcPdG18

Also- if you don't consume protein with every meal and snack- you will lose muscle very quickly.
    Your body needs protein and if you skip meals or don't eat every 3-4 hours- your body then opts to eat itself. So eat more protein...aim for at least 55g a day or more if your able too. I cant see your diary so Im not sure what your eating now but more protein and strengthen will tone your body.

belly fat also wont go away if you eat too many carbs- you want your body to get rid of the fat so you need it to "eat it as energy". Try a no grain diet for a while and get your 100-200g of carbs from fruits and veggies. that way your body will choose to eat your body fat instead of using the carbs you ate as energy.

Also research calorie cycling. Its where you alternate calorie intake through out the week and this is what I have been doing after I wasnt losing weight. No grains at night, only protein, healthy fat, veggies, a fruit for dessert if you ate good all day as a reward.

Drink green tea too. Hope this helps!
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    hm try waking up an hour early to go for an hour walk. its important that your in a sorta fasted state when you walk. itll add up
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have lost all the weight you want to lose but need to start an exercise program that will firm up and reduce the size of your stomach. There is no easy way to accomplish this. It is either done with strength training or aerobic activity targeting your abdominal muscles. It is hard work but it is worth it. There are workout videos you can get so that you can do it at home. A lot of people find that their small children enjoy trying to do the exercises with their mothers. A friend of mine told me she gets her exercise videos from Utube for free.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    thx everyone
  • jigglyone
    Options
    wow, thanks so much for the tip! i like knowing that this CAN be done :)
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear your frustrated. I do have some advice. If you can afford to buy TRX straps AKA "gravity straps" you could work out at home. They run around $30. You can do everything with them and tone and strengthen your entire body. I was so sore after using them. Here is a video from youtube with the possible exercises-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yep5YcPdG18

Also- if you don't consume protein with every meal and snack- you will lose muscle very quickly.
    Your body needs protein and if you skip meals or don't eat every 3-4 hours- your body then opts to eat itself. So eat more protein...aim for at least 55g a day or more if your able too. I cant see your diary so Im not sure what your eating now but more protein and strengthen will tone your body.

belly fat also wont go away if you eat too many carbs- you want your body to get rid of the fat so you need it to "eat it as energy". Try a no grain diet for a while and get your 100-200g of carbs from fruits and veggies. that way your body will choose to eat your body fat instead of using the carbs you ate as energy.

Also research calorie cycling. Its where you alternate calorie intake through out the week and this is what I have been doing after I wasnt losing weight. No grains at night, only protein, healthy fat, veggies, a fruit for dessert if you ate good all day as a reward.

Drink green tea too. Hope this helps!

This sounds like really sound advice...
  • jigglyone
    Options
    thx everyone
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No advice but I definitely feel your frustration!! I would be thrilled to lose even a single inch! I've lost 40 lbs and I work out 4 times a week but no changes yet. It's gotta happen though - just keep at it and I will too! :flowerforyou:
  • jigglyone
    Options
    thank you