college students?

Options
Hi! My name's Jenny, and I go to the University of Montevallo in Alabama. While I'm not exactly overweight, I am finding myself making poorer and poorer choices when it comes to what I'm putting in my mouth and whether or not I exercise. I joined this site after ending my membership with a different site that I had to pay for, and I am finding it to be just as useful and much more cost-effective. :wink: I'm trying to head-off the health and weight woes that I see my parents facing by getting into healthy habits now. Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any other "young people" on here who could encourage me and to whom I could offer encouragement as well. Sometimes it seems like being healthy doesn't fit in with the college lifestyle.

Replies

• justjenny89
    Options
    Hi! My name's Jenny, and I go to the University of Montevallo in Alabama. While I'm not exactly overweight, I am finding myself making poorer and poorer choices when it comes to what I'm putting in my mouth and whether or not I exercise. I joined this site after ending my membership with a different site that I had to pay for, and I am finding it to be just as useful and much more cost-effective. :wink: I'm trying to head-off the health and weight woes that I see my parents facing by getting into healthy habits now. Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any other "young people" on here who could encourage me and to whom I could offer encouragement as well. Sometimes it seems like being healthy doesn't fit in with the college lifestyle.
  • Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    Options
    MY PROBLEM WAS 5 DOLLAR ALL YOU CAN DRINK NIGHTS IN WISCONSIN. BEER BEER BEER. THEN MAKING CRAPPY CHOICES IN THE AM BECAUSE I WAS HUNG OVER....GOOD LUCK. NOW I AM A FULL TIME STUDENT WITH A FAMILY. MAKING HEATHLY CHOICES MUCH EASIER CONSIDERING I DONT DRINK ANYMORE...
  • zen68
    zen68 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Iam a 3/4 time Nursing student and have a family...my 2 boys keep me in line...I have to think about mom being here for them...and actually I eat better when I am at school....I pack what should eat (healthy choices) and eat only that...my only vice is my Iced coffee on the way in...LOL. You can do it!!! Good luck!
  • princessjenn1804
    princessjenn1804 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also in college and I understand that college is a difficult place to watch your weight. I go to nursing school and although I don't live on campus I still encounter challenges while at school. Our breaks in between classes are so short it is so easy to just grab something. Our days in the hospital don't allow much time to eat at all. And of course there are the parties after we accomplish things. :drinker:

I joined this site to help me track my eating habits and to drop the pounds I have put on. It has been great so far and I hope you find this site as rewarding as I know many of us do.
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    MC DONALDS HAVE SUGAR FREE ICED COFFEE. 90 CALS AND 9 GRAMS OF FAT. LOVE THEM!! WHAT YR ARE YOU IN NURSING. I AM DOING PHARMACY SERVICE MANAG. AND I START NURSING NEXT FALL (HORRIBLE WAIT LIST....) CANT WAIT.
  • justjenny89
    Options
    Thank-you everyone for your replies! It's encouraging just to know that I'm not the only one struggling with making the right choices.
  • princessjenn1804
    princessjenn1804 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats on Nursing school! Its a blast! I have one more year left and sometimes I feel like its a miracle I made it this far lol. But seriously, it is a great experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Good Luck!:smile:
  • zen68
    zen68 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I start my clinicals in Jan...and should be done 2010....soo looking forward to being done as are my kids....I am never home...and it takes a toll on them.
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
    college student here too!
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    STUDENT present. I was a history major, but I'm changing it to Dietetics. Whoo! Go us!
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    I start my clinicals in Jan...and should be done 2010....soo looking forward to being done as are my kids....I am never home...and it takes a toll on them.

WHERE DID YOU DO CLINICALS? I WORK AT THE HOSPITAL WITH 3 OF THE INSTUCTORS SO I BASICALLY DO CLINICALS ON DOWN TIME, REALLY NICE! THEY LET ME WATCH IN ON DIFFERENT STUFF. VERY COOL!
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    Congrats on Nursing school! Its a blast! I have one more year left and sometimes I feel like its a miracle I made it this far lol. But seriously, it is a great experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Good Luck!:smile:

I WISH I WAS THAT FAR...:cry: I GRADUATE AFTER THIS SEMESTER WITH 1 ASSOCIATES, NEXT NURSING YEAH! I AM A CNA NOW, AT A LOCAL HOSPITAL. LUV IT!!!
  • mecm16
    mecm16 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm a grad student which means lots and lots of nights of researching and writing on my computer...accompanied by excessive snacking (because it's easier to stay up and write papers when you have something to munch on, lol!)

Also, drinking just seems to be part of the grad student lifestyle! My friends and I started something called "Boozeday Tuesday" this summer, when we go out and drink just because it's Tuesday (and it has a good ring to it!). Those nights plus weekends were killing me so I had to give up boozing during the week! lol (In fact, I've given up drinking alcohol altogether until I make some real progress with my fitness goals).

But I definitely hear ya...the student lifestyle is not always conducive to healthy nutrition choices!
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Full time junior in college here! Yeah, it does get realllllly tough to stick to good eating choices especially with all the restaurants around universities (anyone else notice this :grumble:) and not to mention you can walk to them from campus! I find that planning ahead is crucial and its always helpful to have snacks packed as cliche as that sounds. :smile: