Protein-packed vegetarian-friendly snack!

Options
merimeaux
merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
A few months ago, my doctor was on me about not getting enough protein in my diet. I've been a vegetarian since age 5 and my parents didn't always know how to cater to a vegetarian's unique dietary needs, so low protein is something I've struggled with for quite some time. With that in mind, my doctor told me about a snack (or even meal) that she fixes to get her protein: plain Greek yogurt with flavored protein powder. I just mixed a packet of Meijer's Rich Chocolate Whey & Soy Protein (120 calories, 25g protein) with plain non-fat Chobani Greek yogurt (100 calories, 18g protein), and was pleasantly surprised by the results. It took on the consistency of pudding, and the flavor wasn't too bad. I even popped it in the freezer for a few minutes because it was getting a little too lukewarm for me, and when I took it out it was more like chocolate frozen yogurt. Granted, it still has the tang of Greek yogurt, but when you look at the nutritional benefits (a total of 220 calories, 43g protein) it's well worth it, in my opinion. Mix some up and enjoy the protein boost!

Replies

• Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, thanks for sharing!
  • YoderKatie
    YoderKatie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    that does sound really good, but you should be careful because the protein in the yogurt is dairy or animal protein, and a diet high in animal protein and fat can be harmful. obviously since you're a vegetarian - you don't have this problem - but just something for the general population to think about.

I do love me some greek yogurt though =)
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    that does sound really good, but you should be careful because the protein in the yogurt is dairy or animal protein, and a diet high in animal protein and fat can be harmful.

Excellent point! This is precisely why my doctor recommended the Chobani non-fat yogurt, which is marked with a large 0% on the container. I know Chobani makes 2% as well, but I've never tried that variety.
  • TLKoinis
    Options
    Thanks for sharing