Eating the same foods everyday

Options
I read an article today about how eating the same foods everyday can make your body become "used" to them and thus digest them quickly as if digesting an healthy food like white bread even though you are eating healthy.

I've been at a plateau with my weightloss for several weeks now and today I just realized that I do eat about the same things everyday. Sometimes I switch things up, but for the most part, I stick with the same ten (or less) meals. I feel like I do eat healthy foods, but I am just stuck. When I first began my diet, the weight came off gradually with the same foods I'm still eating now.

I'm not sure if I believe the article or not, but I am curious if you all would know if it actually is true.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No....you can't 'trick" you body with changing up your food...however, variety is the spice of life.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Eating the same foods every day will not make your body digest them more quickly.

The reason that your weight loss has stalled is that you are no longer eating at a calorie deficit. You are most likely eating more calories than you realize or burning fewer calories than you think you are, or both.

Accurately logging in your food diary (weighing portions and logging food based on the weights) will help you figure out how much you are ingesting. Using a calorie expenditure calculator will help you determine how much you are burning.

Eat whatever foods you enjoy eating. Just try to make sure your diet includes healthy amounts of protein, fat, vitamins and minerals. Eating a varied diet including lots of fruits and vegetables can help you to ensure that you are getting all the micronutrients you need. However, as long as you are getting adequate nutrition, there is nothing wrong with eating the same foods a lot of the time, if the boredom helps to keep you from overeating.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's a stupid idea from the article.

The % of improvement, if that's even the direction, would be minor. It could go the other way too, body sees it too often so stops getting everything out of the food.

Say you ate a food that depended on certain bug in your gut to help break it down, you could get more of it to help with faster breakdown. Faster, not more more out of it. If you are getting 150 calories out of something, you think it really makes a difference if it takes 25 min, or now 20 min? Same 150 calories.

Same stupidity as muscle confusion. If a workout is getting easy, you don't do something new if you enjoy what you are doing - you do it harder, more intense (if possible).

You burn less energy when you are lighter, so you need to eat less.

If you started out wrong and didn't follow the program correctly, you likely slowed your metabolism down too, so less room to move to eat less.

You also may have not correctly logged your foods, and were eating more early, and eating more now of same stuff, and it's too much, again needing to eat less.

In other words, sloppy logging of food at the start can still work with more to lose - but now you have less margin for error.

But a woman needs 4 weeks of no change in inches over many spots and weight for it to be a real plateau, because your metabolism really does through the month.
  • amysue_208
    amysue_208 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you all agree with my thoughts on the article. It definitely seemed like a weird concept to me. Gotta just track my calories better and work out more!
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    i can say, from experience that this shouldnt be true because i eat the same exact thing for lunch/breakfast for everyday for the past like 2-3 months and i still get hungry every 5 hours. its like clockwork

oh and the thing i eat is 96/4 cheeseburgers and before that i went about 2 months eating chipotle everyday.

oh and i also want to say that youre very pretty op