Unbelievable how cruel people are

Options
Hi Guys, happy to be back on the forums
(No internet at home but I've been lucky for downtime at work :devil: )

I work in a hotel, and I'm the overnight girl on the weekends.
Last night we had to call the police on a room with 15 people in it having a party. When I say people I want to say "kids" but they were my age around 24. Their behavior was certainly childlike.
All fifteen came down to my desk having the nerve to demand their money back. After they realized it wasn't happening(I'm pretty quiet normally but I laid down the law with them) they were all standing along my front desk yelling racial slurs and telling me how fat/ugly I am.
"Ratchet" wasn't even the word for these hooligans.
It just really makes me wonder how people are being raised nowadays. I was always told to be respectful of anyone, even if in a situation that I didn't agree with.
Reminded me of grade school of how kids would be bullied for nothing, and it scares me of how bad it must be now with the things kids are exposed to.

Just a rant, feel free to talk-- Working all night hah

Replies

• writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My mom works in a bed & breakfast & feels the same way. I'm often surprised about things she says they do, say, ask or the way they leave their rooms. Although I shouldn't be anymore after watching any of those restaurant & hotel fixing shows.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You'd think nothing would surprise us lately but you just expect people to be decent :/

They trashed the room too. And smoked weed in it.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of kindness out there too. e.g. San Francisco Bat Kid
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    That was so awesome!
  • Shateyn
    Options
    You are certainly not fat or ugly. These people sound troubled and I pity them. Don't let them get you down girl!
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    You are certainly not fat or ugly. These people sound troubled and I pity them. Don't let them get you down girl!
    After my shift a had a long sweat session in the fitness center :smooched:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options

Last night we had to call the police on a room with 15 people in it having a party. When I say people I want to say "kids" but they were my age around 24. Their behavior was certainly childlike.
    All fifteen came down to my desk having the nerve to demand their money back. After they realized it wasn't happening(I'm pretty quiet normally but I laid down the law with them) they were all standing along my front desk yelling racial slurs and telling me how fat/ugly I am.
    It just really makes me wonder how people are being raised nowadays. I was always told to be respectful of anyone, even if in a situation that I didn't agree with.
    Reminded me of grade school of how kids would be bullied for nothing, and it scares me of how bad it must be now with the things kids are exposed to.

Rule of thumb when you deal with consumers/customers. When they are mad, they are mad at the situation and unless you're disrespectful towards them, they are just venting it towards the closest person to them that they can. NEVER take it personally. It's part of having to deal with the public.
    If you didn't have to move from your stance, then you did your job.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Stay classy, San Diego.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

Rule of thumb when you deal with consumers/customers. When they are mad, they are mad at the situation and unless you're disrespectful towards them, they are just venting it towards the closest person to them that they can. NEVER take it personally. It's part of having to deal with the public.
    If you didn't have to move from your stance, then you did your job.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I'm glad I turned it into a cardio session instead of a binge :)
    Good advice, thank you
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Stay classy, San Diego.
    Go back to your home on ....island!
  • Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah some people are just naturally *kitten*. I was at walmart just yesterday and almost accidently ran into a girl in one of the aisles as I was turning a blind corner and she screamed out all angrily "watch where your going *****!". I just looked at her, shook my head and walked away. I had my 2 year old with me so I just thought to myself, this *kitten* isnt even worth my time. Sad thing is she had a small child with her too that will probably grow up to learn everything shes teaching him by acting like that.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It's called Facebook. It screws everyone up.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My former fiance is an elementary school teacher and in his first year, he had one of his SECOND graders try to stab him with a pair of scissors and threaten to rape one of the little girls in the class. We life in a messed up world for sure.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Yeah some people are just naturally *kitten*. I was at walmart just yesterday and almost accidently ran into a girl in one of the aisles as I was turning a blind corner and she screamed out all angrily "watch where your going *****!". I just looked at her, shook my head and walked away. I had my 2 year old with me so I just thought to myself, this *kitten* isnt even worth my time. Sad thing is she had a small child with her too that will probably grow up to learn everything shes teaching him by acting like that.
    Yes exactly what I mean, I've seen so many parents carelessly speaking this way and moreso dropping the f-bomb at their kids for "discipline".
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    My former fiance is an elementary school teacher and in his first year, he had one of his SECOND graders try to stab him with a pair of scissors and threaten to rape one of the little girls in the class. We life in a messed up world for sure.
    Holy wow
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    sorry guys, failed twice at posting a meme lol
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Wal-Mart is full of class. I used to work there. We once found a zip loc bag full of urine on a shelf, behind the products, just around the corner from the bathroom. Oh, could I tell stories.

@OP, you are in a difficult industry, I don't envy you. My sister worked in hotels for years. She has been threatened, spit at, and so much more.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Trashy people...act trashy. It has nothing to do with you, you just happen to be in their path. They will reap what they have sown in life.

I'm a relief auditor, too, and I've worked with lots of people, in lot of different types of different types of customer service jobs. They can hurtful, mean things, but really in the end, I feel sorry for them.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I'd pay to hear these stories lol
  • splashzor
    Options
    Seriously, I feel like there are kids in adult bodies, but I've encountered some wonderful people as well. And some kids are wonderful. I try to keep the latter in mind when the former makes me question human decency in general.

I volunteer, and yet some people who come in disrespect me so much I think about quitting. So far, I've been volunteering less. Your situation was probably worse with them being paying customers.