Too much fiber?

Options
Hey, I was having some problems, and I googled "too much fiber" and I found this article... very interesting!

Too Much Fiber Side Effects
Fiber has been known to be a substance to aid healthy living. It is great for the digestive system. Nonetheless, like all others, fiber needs to be taken in moderation as well. Too much fiber can also have its set of side effects. Read on to know about them...
Ads by Google
Top 5 Colon Cleansers Learn the Benefits of All Natural Colon Cleansing + Top 5 Reviewed. clearlycoloncleanse.com
Fiber Diets Discover Top Fiber Diets. Get Advice From Health Experts. HealthDesk.com
Heal Diverticulosis Heal the Autoimmune self-attacking responce causing the Diverticulosis thecodeoflife.info/diverticulitis
When I had to start making rounds to the doctor and was told that I had made the cardinal mistake of consuming "too much fiber", my belief system took a big blow. I started wondering, is too much fiber dangerous? Can too much fiber, really, make you sick? No kidding! Being a salad and fruit loving person, my fiber intake was always on the higher side, and I always thought that it was healthy to have a high fiber diet. The more the merrier, right? Wrong.

Despite the benefits of fiber, too much fiber intake can have its own set of side effects. I learned it the hard way, so you can opt to equip yourself with information without the nasty experience of what does too much fiber do to you. Continue reading to know, "Can too much fiber hurt you?".

An average individual requires approximately 25 grams (for women) to 30 grams (for men) and approximately 20 grams (for kids) of fiber daily. Side effects are mostly noticed for individuals who consume higher that about 45 grams of fiber in a day. So, lets just say that if your fiber intake per day is 50 grams, you are having too much fiber! Read to know more on high fiber fruits and vegetables.

Side Effects of Too Much Fiber

What are the side effects of too much fiber in diet? Unfortunately, too much fiber has a host of uncomfortable and highly embarrassing side effects. Lets see what potential harmful effects of too much fiber include.
•Flatulence: Embarrassing and highly uncomfortable. I can only imagine a day at work, spiced up with flatulence. Flatulence is a condition wherein mixed gases are expelled through the rectum. High intake of fiber can aid the process and cause you much shame as you "pass the gas".
•Diarrhea: It is a condition wherein the sufferer undergoes loose or liquid-like bowel movements. This constitutes loss in body fluids, salts and other nutrients. It causes death in extreme conditions.
•Abdominal Discomfort: This one is not so embarrassing, but uncomfortable nonetheless. The "twaing" feeling in your stomach can be enough to put you off work, play and pleasure. If you know what I mean!
•Constipation: Constipation occurs when the colon absorbs excess water and this results in hard or no feces. If you wish to know, "Can too much fiber cause constipation?", the answer is - Oh yes it can! Constipation is annoying, painful, uncomfortable and generally awful.
•Blockages: Too much fiber can lead to a possibility of a sever blockage. It has been seen that patients need to get operated to get rid of the blockage caused due to too much fiber.
•Weight Gain: Too much fiber can also cause you to gain weight. However, you can lose this weight without much trouble. I also asked a few dietitians, "Can too much fiber make you bloated?". Yes, it can! Read more on fiber and weight loss.
But, seriously, is too much fiber a bad thing? Well, that is arguable. Several people live comfortably on diets that contain high fiber levels. The difference is that those people also maintain high water intake. Too much fiber with not enough water intake is the reason behind these terrible side effects. So, if you are suffering from the above symptoms, you are doing something wrong here! As long as you are making sure that you maintain the fiber-water balance you will not suffer from "too much fiber side effects" or "problems with drinking too much water". The two balance each other out.

Another fact that one needs to be well aware of, is that even though fiber makes the travel (of food through the digestive track) faster, too much of it can cause one to feel "full". This can make one get tricked into believing that enough nutrients have gotten consumed. Beware of that! More so, too much fiber can lead to lesser iron and calcium absorption. I need not remind you that this can lead to further health hassles. So, is eating too much fiber bad for you? Well, it has the potential to be. Hence, best is to avoid consuming too much fiber.

Alright, this article was not to scare you off fiber. Don't forget, adequate fiber consumption is required by the body, beyond that should be monitored. This is where I sign off!!
By Rashida Khilawala

I'm going to try drinking more water and see if it helps! :)

Replies

• LovinHISWORD
    LovinHISWORD Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wow, too much fiber...never considered that. I always buy high fiber everything. You know the stomach problems I ahve had, but I don't have diarrhea or gas or blockages..so I don't think it's the case with me. BUT very interesting. Something to think about. Again, the saying holds true that everything should be in moderation. Balance is the key!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I read the article a couple of times, and basically, what it is saying is as long as you drink the right amount of water you won't suffer from high fiber side effects.

So keep on getting high fiber stuff (it's good for ya anyway) just cut out sodas and other things like that and opt for more water. :flowerforyou:
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Yes, I just thought I was drinking enough water, but apparently I wasn't. I usually drink 8 - 10 8oz glasses a day, but I need to raise that I guess. I drank so much today that I feel bloated from water!
  • scrapjones
    scrapjones Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think the main point is drink more water! Yes too much of anything can be bad, but as long as you are drinking plenty of water, you will be fine. In my opinion 8-10 cups of water a day is NOT enough. Especially if you're exercising daily or live in a hot, dry climate. So Drink up! as long is it's good old H2o. :)