What do you get @ chinese restaurant?

Options
Geez....I have a delimma. Kids want to go out to eat chinese food tomorrow night and while I don't want to have "cheat" days, I'm unsure what to eat. It's a buffet place. Any suggestions? It's going to take all of my calories for the day?

Replies

• scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    Avoid the stuff with thicker sauces, go to the broccoli dishes. For me, it means limiting the crab rangoons! There is a generic Chinese buffet in the food tracker and I always try to make wise choices and report under this food itme in the diary (reporting liberally, of course!). Maybe squeeze in a workout before dinner tomorrow? Really, just enjoy your dinner. You've earned it.
  • EternalMysteria
    Options
    If I were you, I'd eat something before you go, and when you get there, just eat from the salad bar and drink water. That way you're guilt and diet sabotage free. = )
  • 123gonnareachit
    Options
    Veggies and stuff
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    anything with a white sauce. but if you dont like chinese white sauce i dont blame you. to me it looks and tastes like a bodily fluid i will not mention in polite company. i personally wont eat it, but it is a sure fire way to cut down on the sodium.

but what i do is just eat half of what i really want to eat and it usually ends up being a decent amount of calories :)

though a high in veg, low in meat or meatless option would also would. like buddha's delight! yum!
  • lkwilkey
    Options
    I did eat at one yesterday it wasnt buffet but still the same. its all about portion control.. eggs rolls arent bad. low mein isnt bad either and chicken chowmein isnt bad. just punch some chinese items in and see what you get then do prtion control. it work great for me...and I still had lost two pounds this morning...so I know I did good.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Go through the database and pick your foods before you go to the buffet. That way, you know what you are "paying" calorie-wise, and how big the servings are before you get there.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Go through the database and pick your foods before you go to the buffet. That way, you know what you are "paying" calorie-wise, and how big the servings are before you get there.

This is probably your best bet and that way you know what your are getting yourself into before you go. If you have favorites there you will know what they are before you get there.

Also...take me with you!! I am craving chinese food something fierce tonight!!! :o)
  • rockinright
    Options
    Chicken and broccoli isn't too bad. Egg rolls are OK if you stick to one. Brown rice in limited quantity.

Actually, as long as you stay away from the sweet and sour and General Tso's type stuff, and keep portions reasonable, you can do Chinese if you're careful.

The white sauces are better than brown, but brown is OK if it's a more veggie-laden dish,
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    There are always vege dishes (some with tofu)....avoid anything fried. If you must, choose a spring roll over an eggroll--it is MUCH less calories and fat.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I had chinese buffet for lunch today....i had beef with broccoli, chicken and mushrooms, and egg drop soup...and with a very resonable amount of calories! I wasn't too worried about it, i enjoyed my lunch, and stopped when i had enough!!! So just enjoy it!!!!
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't starve yourself before you go. Drink LOTS of water throughout the day and after the meal to help flush the sodium!
  • doris_day
    doris_day Posts: 159
    Options
    Here are some ideas: the hot and sour soup is usually a little lower in calories, bok choy is super super healthy. Sometimes buffets will have a stir fry section.
    But I really like the chicken teriyaki skewers. Try to avoid any rice - empty calories.

Also what I have found, is that I'll do a menu on the food portion here and see what the total calories are - that way I know more accurately what I'm eating.
  • DiscoveringDena
    Options
    You guys are all so awesome!! Great ideas! I am going to make a list so I can have some idea what things are going to add up to. I can do without the rice...I guess the main thing I was concerned with is the sauces. I do deserve it though, and shouldn't worry so much. I think I am becoming obsessed with counting these calories. I'm still early in my journey and am still learning so much.

I love having a place I can come to for such awesome support.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Avoid it like the black plague!!!!???!!! Full of salt and MSG. Carbs are good but Chinese food is either fried or cooked with large amounts of oil or butter plus the dishes are mostly carbs. little protein that I have noticed. See if you can get steamed brown rice and a chicken dish and ask for it to be prepared with no salt. Thats your best bet if you want to avoid retaining water for a few days.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    soups are a good choice, also spring rolls, broccoli beef, chicken with vegetable, almond chicken,mushroom chicken, garlic walnut broccoli or most of the vegetable dishes, just stay away from the things with the heavy sauces and the fried breaded meat. And watch your portion sizes, ENJOY
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    I love me some Chinese buffet, but thankfully the restaurant that has a buffet also has a regular menu.

Make sure you stay away from the breaded items (a lot of the chicken items are breaded), the items with extra sweet sauce (lemon chicken, sweet & sour anything, for example), and anything deep fried (cream cheese puffs). Just plain chicken and vegetables (peapods, mix, whatever) or anything with a very light sauce is going to be your best bet. And make sure to go easy on the rice since that's best eaten in moderation.

My biggest challenge at the Chinese buffet are the sugar rolls for dessert - OMG I must have about 50 of those permanently attached to my butt over the years! :(
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    A lot of times they have steamed fish, too. Pair a lot of that with some veggies and tiny servings of your favorites and it's a wrap. One meal won't do you in, you'll do great in the long run if you don't get too crazed, and your attitude seems about right :flowerforyou: Also, MSG is delicious, only a small fraction of people are intolerant and it's perfectly safe for the rest of us :tongue:

I was fortunate enough to go to pf chang's tonight (I like to go to restaurants with online calorie info) and preselected steamed Ginger salmon with fresh veggies and brown rice for 600 cals. I had worked out prior to going out so I had plenty of calories left for popcorn at the movies! :happy:
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd eat something before you go, and when you get there, just eat from the salad bar and drink water. That way you're guilt and diet sabotage free. = )

Dena, I love this suggestion above! :love: To eat before you go, and look forward to the salad bar or veggies. Try to stay away from the Soy Sauce altogether, eat grilled, and some buffets offer to have a chef cook something for you as well, maybe they could grill you a chicken breast if offered :happy:, enjoy the steamed shrimp :wink: , if you're careful AND DON'T ARRIVE HUNGRY, you'll see you'll be able to make several choices there and not sabotage your meal :wink:

Enjoy and I love your profile pic. You're absolutely beautiful!!!!! :flowerforyou: Keep up the good work!!!!! :drinker:
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Headaches.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    They should be able to steam anything for you - meats, veggies, etc. If you ask for low sodium or low/no oil, they should also be able to do that. The place I used to go to would make the most delicious stuff that way - and it was lower in everything! Eat half (or 1/4 if the portion is really large) of it and take the rest home for another meal.