Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Females- Menstruation and weight gain?

So, this isn't a topic most people want to talk about but I really don't care. :P
So, my period is in two days and when I weighed myself there was an obvious 3 pound weight gain. I was shocked. My strict diet and exercise routine hasn't changed at all. Is my weight gain because of my upcoming period? Will it go away at the end of my diet?
Thanks!

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    I'll bet you anything it is, and we all need to hear that when it hits us!!
    Yes, just try not to stress about it. It will go away. In fact, I usually find that there is a big drop a few days after.
  • BlackRose278
    BlackRose278 Posts: 37 Member
    it happens to me all the time before my period comes. It's called Bloating, and it isn't fat at all: It's water weight. I don't know why, but your body retains it before menstruation, and then you lose most of it a few days afterwards. Trust me, it will go away soon.

Word of advice: What i do is that I don't weigh myself usually until my period goes away. that way, after a few days, I can see what my actual weight is.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    This is incredibly common. It's asked about daily on these forums. My advice is always to track it so you'll know what to expect. But if it's going to get to you then it's okay to stay off the scale around your TOM :)
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Totally normal. I gain 3 to 5 lbs every month and then 5 days later I lose 5 to 7 lbs lol don't sweat it just keep doing what your doing. Drink lots of water :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    So, this isn't a topic most people want to talk about but I really don't care. :P
    So, my period is in two days and when I weighed myself there was an obvious 3 pound weight gain. I was shocked. My strict diet and exercise routine hasn't changed at all. Is my weight gain because of my upcoming period? Will it go away at the end of my diet?
    Thanks!

Chances are it's just water retention, which is normal. I gain about 3-5 lbs of water during my period but it disappears when I'm done.
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    It seems like every month I forget that this is what happens so it still freaks me out when I jump on the scale and it's changed that much. I agree with everyone else though that it isn't permanent. Hope you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that you haven't done anything wrong! :)
  • jelibe
    jelibe Posts: 4 Member
    This explains my 1lb weight gain this week. This was a great thread to start :)
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Yep. I'm always up at least a day before and it lasts about a week.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Thank you for this thread. This had definitely helped me out as this just happened to me as well.