Unbelievable how cruel people are

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, happy to be back on the forums
    (No internet at home but I've been lucky for downtime at work :devil: )

I work in a hotel, and I'm the overnight girl on the weekends.
    Last night we had to call the police on a room with 15 people in it having a party. When I say people I want to say "kids" but they were my age around 24. Their behavior was certainly childlike.
    All fifteen came down to my desk having the nerve to demand their money back. After they realized it wasn't happening(I'm pretty quiet normally but I laid down the law with them) they were all standing along my front desk yelling racial slurs and telling me how fat/ugly I am.
    "Ratchet" wasn't even the word for these hooligans.
    It just really makes me wonder how people are being raised nowadays. I was always told to be respectful of anyone, even if in a situation that I didn't agree with.
    Reminded me of grade school of how kids would be bullied for nothing, and it scares me of how bad it must be now with the things kids are exposed to.

Just a rant, feel free to talk-- Working all night hah
    Rule of thumb when you deal with consumers/customers. When they are mad, they are mad at the situation and unless you're disrespectful towards them, they are just venting it towards the closest person to them that they can. NEVER take it personally. It's part of having to deal with the public.
    If you didn't have to move from your stance, then you did your job.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is great advice, but it can be reaaaaaally hard to remember when they start getting personal with you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'd pay to hear these stories lol

Ha! Perhaps I'll write a book someday...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'd pay to hear these stories lol

During my time there I worked in many different areas. One particular evening I was putting away gummy bears when a guy dragged me back to the ceiling fans and was asking for information on how to install them. When I told him I didn't know, he started yelling about how you don't get any expertise from the staff. My response... "They didn't ask me if I could tie my shoes or spell my name when they hired me. You dragged me away from gummy bears. What kind of expertise were you expecting?"

I don't know how I didn't get into more trouble there :bigsmile:
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I did the night audit in a hotel for a few years - I do believe I met those same people, only they were more like late 30s, had their kids with them, and were just plain idiots. I didn't have to have many removed from the premises, but it happened on occasion. Like you, I tend to be fairly shy and quiet most of the time, but was more than able to stand my ground on that one. The police were awesome when I did have to call them, so at least I always felt safe, and my manager backed me up 100% of the time, too. I don't miss that job, though.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I worked in hospitality, in Manhattan, in many different hotels for years as a concierge. I don't have any serious personal horror stories (that comes from being a relatively tall, and then big man), but some of the behavior I witnessed from guests toward other hotel staff, and even my fellow concierges, was abysmal. Many people lose all sense of decorum and basic human decency just as soon as they check in.

Very glad to no longer be in a public service job.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, happy to be back on the forums
    (No internet at home but I've been lucky for downtime at work :devil: )

I work in a hotel, and I'm the overnight girl on the weekends.
    Last night we had to call the police on a room with 15 people in it having a party. When I say people I want to say "kids" but they were my age around 24. Their behavior was certainly childlike.
    All fifteen came down to my desk having the nerve to demand their money back. After they realized it wasn't happening(I'm pretty quiet normally but I laid down the law with them) they were all standing along my front desk yelling racial slurs and telling me how fat/ugly I am.
    "Ratchet" wasn't even the word for these hooligans.
    It just really makes me wonder how people are being raised nowadays. I was always told to be respectful of anyone, even if in a situation that I didn't agree with.
    Reminded me of grade school of how kids would be bullied for nothing, and it scares me of how bad it must be now with the things kids are exposed to.

Just a rant, feel free to talk-- Working all night hah
    Rule of thumb when you deal with consumers/customers. When they are mad, they are mad at the situation and unless you're disrespectful towards them, they are just venting it towards the closest person to them that they can. NEVER take it personally. It's part of having to deal with the public.
    If you didn't have to move from your stance, then you did your job.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I'm glad I turned it into a cardio session instead of a binge :)
    Good advice, thank you

^^^ This is the best advise anyone could give.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've been the second shift night clerk at a motel for six years now and I feel ya.

I've stopped being intimidated or hurt by people. Even being robbed didn't phase me.

I'm so jaded now it's ridiculous. I've come to feel the entire human race are all ****. They lie, scam, insult anyone they can, have no respect for others property, and they are thieves.

I'm always saying "not on my watch" when someone acts up. I have to call the cops a lot to have people removed.

Last week we had some junkies down the hall from the desk staying on what he said was his mother's cc. I didn't believe it, but the manager said business is business.

One night I heard a scuffle down the hall and then someone running down the hall screaming "help me, help me". When he got to the desk I asked what the hell was going on and he said "someone just tried to hurt me bad." He was absolutely scared for his life.

When I told him I was calling the cops he ran back to his room and then out the door. None of them ever came back for their stuff. I can only assume they were afraid of being killed or picked up by the cops.

I'll never know if it was a gun or a knife that was used to try to hurt him.

Just remember to never let anyone intimidate you and that the customer is not always right.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I worked as a hostess when i was 18 at a hotel restaurant. My favorite are the people who ask for their money back for their meal after they have eaten it all--or close to it.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    If I was getting harrassed/yelled at like that I would have called security. You don't have to put up with that.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Loss of human decency, that does explain it.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If I was getting harrassed/yelled at like that I would have called security. You don't have to put up with that.
    Security was standing right there. They're two men above 60. Weren't doing much.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    idiots just keep repeating to yourself karma karma karma
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My mom works in a bed & breakfast & feels the same way. I'm often surprised about things she says they do, say, ask or the way they leave their rooms. Although I shouldn't be anymore after watching any of those restaurant & hotel fixing shows.

^ If it means anything, tell her that before I check out of hotels, I take all of the used towels and pile them and I take the used garbage bags out and tie them and then I leave everything in a neat pile by the door (visible so nobody trips) after I make the beds a little. I like to check out knowing someone didn't have a huge mess to clean up because of me. I can't be the only person who does this.

I'm a CNA and I work retail, both just while I get through college, so I know what it's like to have to clean up after people and deal with horrible people who use me as an outlet for their anger (I'm pretty quiet and I was raised to be nice all the time, so I'm a pretty easy target).

As I learn to take control of my eating habits & my body and as I learn to be less anxious and just as I get older, I notice that I'm less inclined to deal with mean people by ignoring or appeasing them. Hopefully, by the time I get to my goal weight, I will be more assertive and more willing to defend myself.