I'm a newbie!....AGAIN!!!

Options
So I first tried to do this a few years ago....stopped.....

Then tried...AGAIN about 5-6 months ago....stopped.....AGAIN

Now I'm back and HOPEFULLY will be able to stick with it!! :P

I graduate from college in 28 days (woot woot) and since I started the Nursing program I think I gained the "freshman 15" every semester :( not cool...I really didn't want to graduate from college overweight-but sadly there is not much time left to workout. So once Dec gets here I plan on killing it with progress and working hard! :)

Replies

• fkwilhelm
    fkwilhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is my third start. I am a bit older than you (42) but still go to University (as a professor). I know how it is to gain weight because you do not have time.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Many of us have similar stories. The key is to never give up trying.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I think we've all been through this, so I understand. If you're interested in new friends, I'm your girl! Please fee free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What was your daily calorie limit for these false starts? Was it a reasonable deficit for your activity level?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    What was your daily calorie limit for these false starts? Was it a reasonable deficit for your activity level?

Whoops, sorry. I didn't realize you were just introducing yourself and not actually looking for possible answers.

Best of luck to you on your efforts...again.

:flowerforyou:
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Lost 95 pounds in 7 months, then regained about 70 of it. Back on track and have lost 13 pounds in this second AND FINAL round.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    So once Dec gets here I plan on killing it with progress and working hard! :)

Why not now? Why wait 12 days?

Good luck, though. :happy:
  • carebears1973
    carebears1973 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you my dear :-) x
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    Welcome back! I think we've all been through this, so I understand. If you're interested in new friends, I'm your girl! Please fee free to add me! :flowerforyou:

^^ Exactly! Feel free to add :flowerforyou:
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Most people gain and lose throughout their life. I have been on just about every diet over the last 20 years. I'd have a baby gain weight diet take it off. Work a sit down job and gain weight. Workout like a fiend and take it off. I have resigned myself now that this is a two step process and a lifestyle change. My problem was I always though it was fixed once the weight was lost. I was wrong. You need to eat healthy to feed your body and prevent diseases, like high blood pressure and diabetes. Then as you modify and retrain you eating habits allow yourself the holidays and then learn how to adjust your calories in the days that follow to make up for those special occasions. Losing weight and keeping it off is a lifelong process. Maintenance has to be just as regimented as weight loss.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Most people gain and lose throughout their life. I have been on just about every diet over the last 20 years. I'd have a baby gain weight diet take it off. Work a sit down job and gain weight. Workout like a fiend and take it off. I have resigned myself now that this is a two step process and a lifestyle change. My problem was I always though it was fixed once the weight was lost. I was wrong. You need to eat healthy to feed your body and prevent diseases, like high blood pressure and diabetes. Then as you modify and retrain you eating habits allow yourself the holidays and then learn how to adjust your calories in the days that follow to make up for those special occasions. Losing weight and keeping it off is a lifelong process. Maintenance has to be just as regimented as weight loss.

Another *possible* explanation is that the methods used to lose the weight were unsustainable, so maintenance using the same methods was impossible. Was one of those "diets" in those 20 years consistently logging your food and activity and eating at a small deficit to slowly reach your goal?
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to get back to taking care of myself. I know how it feels trying to get back on the bandwagon. You can do it :)
  • spellingmama
    spellingmama Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am starting to make the lifetime change too. I am hopefully doing myself a favor by setting intermediate goals and changing things slowly as I go. I started off just getting used to tracking every bite that goes into my mouth. Since then, I've added exercise. Soon, I hope to add resistance training to the activity but it does take time to balance everything, for sure.

Wishing you success. Feel free to friend me, too!
  • Az1Hiker
    Az1Hiker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm back again after a 6 month break and gaining all my weight back. I'm also in nursing school but this is a second career for me. I'm old 42!! We can get back on the wagon together.
  • rebeccaaa_elizabeth
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most of us have been there. This is my 3rd or so go around, and the longest I've stuck to it so far. It helps to get involved with the posts in the community I've realized. Feel free to add me if you're looking for new friends! Best of luck :happy:
  • Tdemedici
    Options
    Me too! This is my 3rd try as well. I purchased T25 last week and started today. I got through the workout, I'm not sure I can do the food that they have listed, but will keep track on here instead.

I am a "work at home mom" and I feel so blessed, but it is SO hard to be motivated by yourself! I have been fortunate enough not to put the weight back on, but just platueaued and lost hope. . .

It think having friends to motivate is the best way, send me a friend request if you are looking for motivation as well!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Dont wait. Start today. Eat those 5 servings of veggies today or make sure you get all the water you can. walk to class today...

Start today...with something. Dont wait to start living your life
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP 6/16/2012. I was successful for over a year and lost 32 lbs before my live-in bf lost his job and my stress-eating came back with a vengeance.

During the 4 1/2 months my boyfriend was unemployed we moved and were undergoing a custody trial for his daughter. In addition, the state of Illinois did not (and still has not) paid him the unemployment benefits he was qualified for due to a "glitch" in the system. We were being supported by my salary and a lot of help from family and barely getting by. Although we aren't eating "healthy" foods as much it is no excuse for the portion sizes I've been eating.

I also know that there were times when I gave myself permission to make poor choices or overeat because of the level of stress in my life.

I recently applied for a job I really wanted and didn't get it. My immediate thought was "I wonder if I would have gotten it if I wasn't so fat." That told me it was time to stop pretending I was "Ok" with my size and get back to it. I am going to log in daily but may not track my food or weigh myself until after the holidays. I am going to work on my moderation!
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hi! I too have started a few times, albeit not very seriously. This time I have started with a vengeance! Haha. Four days ago I started a very realistic and challenging 30-day clean eating challenge along with workouts 3-5 days a week. Yep! No drinking through the holidays, which seems to be my favorite diet buster. It's going wonderfully well though and I feel really great about it going forward. I am glad to be of support and be friends! Feel free to add me and welcome back!