Help Needed!!!

Options
Ok so I'm going to a gathering tomorrow night. I don't want to splurge but I do want to be able to eat some things and it's a carry-in so it'll be almost impossible to know calorie count for all the food. So what are some good ways that maybe I can eat during the day, lowest cal possible and still not be starving, so that I can have more calories left for the evening?? I have been under my calories everyday for 10 days now, this will be my first BIG temptation and I don't want to go over my calories but I still want to sample. HELP!!!

Replies

• qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    perhaps have a salad and a lot of water before you go, it will fill you up, but still
    leave you room to eat a bit
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Since I have a food allergy (gluten) I typically don't eat if I go to a party or club: I eat before we leave the house so I'm satisfied, leave enuff calories to be able to have a drink or 2 (or 3, depending on how much I worked out that day :tongue: ). I keep some snax with me in the car/purse in case I really need something - like a 100 calorie protein bar (Biochem) or 110 calorie b-fast bar (Envirokids). I also drink lots of water throughout the day (drink plenty on a normal basis anyway), and keep extra bottles in the car so I don't drink soda's or juices (don't like sugary drinks much anymore since I've changed my lifestyle :happy: ).

Just remember, though: to eat a little more sometimes, once in a while is OK: just don't make it a habit. Once in a while shocks & reminds your body that it's supposed to work, if it gets too common your body goes, OK, I'll just store this, store that...
  • ninjasgirl
    Options
    Nikki,
    Do you like steamed cauliflower? OR cottage cheese? These two foods are good for you and are filling, especially if you eat them together. It may not sound to good but it is actually really good. Another thing is just eat lots of fruits and veggies of your liking and they are not bad in calories! Good luck tomorrow...let us know how you did:happy:
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm going to a gathering tomorrow night. I don't want to splurge but I do want to be able to eat some things and it's a carry-in so it'll be almost impossible to know calorie count for all the food. So what are some good ways that maybe I can eat during the day, lowest cal possible and still not be starving, so that I can have more calories left for the evening?? I have been under my calories everyday for 10 days now, this will be my first BIG temptation and I don't want to go over my calories but I still want to sample. HELP!!!

I recommend:
    first - exercise tomorrow during the day - if you do more than usual, more vigorous than usual, that should help to offset any extra calories.
    second- do eat before you go. If you eat healthy things such as vegetables, spinach salad, etc. with healthy amounts of water, you will feel fuller and will likely have less appetite, thus eating less.
    third - do avoid the desert table. I have a tendency to eat what I see, so I make a conscious decision to avoid the things I know are the unhealthiest.
    fourth - do eat as healthy as you can and remember to eat smaller portions than you would normally. For example, I love potato salad (actually I love potatoes of any kind), so I would have (before) put several large spoonfuls of potato salad on my plate - now I put a small spoonful on my plate. I think to myself, "if a "normal" portion of meat is only 3 - 4 oz., how much would a "normal" portion of this ... be?" That way, I am constantly checking myself.
    fifth - the day after drink plenty of water to flush your system, and exercise again more than you would usually.
    Finally - just return to your daily weight reduction calorie intake the day after.

You can do this - and if you don't do as well as you had planned, just remember that you are in control of this journey and you can choose to resume your journey the day after your "gathering."

Vickie
  • maxolivia
    Options
    What I do for midday is put out 3 bowls. One bowl has cut up apples, bowl 2 has carrots and bowl 3 has mini dill pickles. Hardly any calories and its a ton of food. I must have that need to crunch my food!

String cheese is low. Drink tons of water and just make smart choices. Best of luck-you are doing it !
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Agree with salad before you go but usually people will bring salad (you can bring a low cal dressing), crudite, some protein (without sauces) like chicken or shrimp! Stay away from bread, sauces, creamy dressings and desserts! Save a low cal treat at home for when you return. Enjoy sipping on a glass of wine if you wish.
  • troyindallas
    troyindallas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Eat NO carbs all day. Have an egg with bacon for breakfast and IF you get hungry later, try a jerky stick or some other type of protein...again no carbs. Then for 60 minutes at the party, taste the different things you want, watching your portions. When the hour is up...your finished. You shouldn't do much damage as long as you keep on track the next day....you may even lose.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! Those are all great ideas. I'm thinking I might go with troyindallas and the egg & bacon breakfast, no carbs all day thing. I'll let you know how it works. The thing that my be my easy ticket is that it's a euchre tournament where we will be playing cards and getting up and changing tables. So pretty much once we've eaten, in the first 30 minutes, the rest of the night is playing cards & moving around. Thanks again!!!!
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Went over my calories but also didn't get any exercise in like I had planned. I still feel pretty good because I estimated high on the calories and serving sizes when I logged them in. No way to tell exactly how many calories in each. I also feel really good because I didn't eat any of the desserts and I ate one plate and only went back later in the evening for 3 more small bites of something. Will get the extra exercise in tomorrow, but overall I feel like this was a victory for me personally. Thanks for all the ideas!!!