Muscle gain or something else??

Options
I am 46 yrs old - 6'2" current weight is 197lbs that is down from 255lbs since last year and 40lbs since I started MFP, BF seems to be around 20% give or take a percent or two. My losses have been pretty consistent since June. I have not worked out in a serious way in over two years. About 4 weeks ago I started working out with a trainer once a week and I work out on my own one other day a week. I do mostly core workouts - lots of push-ups, planks, low weight squats, TRX and various other exercises. But all aimed at building up my core.

My question is - would it have been possible to gain any muscle in that time (1/2lb to a lb) that might stall my losses. I have continued to eat at deficit that should net me about a pound per week (1900 cals). I have noticed in the last two-three weeks that I am not making any progress with weight loss. Not really going up in weight but the losses have stalled out. Clothes are still fitting the same. I continue to log everything and I am very good about using a food scale.

Since I am not doing heavy lifting and only working out two days a week I did not think I would gain much in the way of muscle. Which is fine since my only real goal was to improve my core muscle strength since I have a history of back pain.

I have noticed that the definition in my arms, legs and back is better from when I started a month ago. Everything feels a bit harder and just over all more defined. I am happy the way my body looks however I was hoping to lose about another 8-10lbs in hopes of getting rid of a bit more belly fat and to have a more harder look about chest and abs.

Curious as to any thoughts? Thanks.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There might be some noob muscle gain, but you're in a deficit, so it's mostly water retention. When you up the intensity of a workout regimine, or add a whole new one, your body will retain water for muscle repair.

When you lift in a deficit you're doing everything you can to maintain muscle mass, so your losses are mostly fat. That is why you would see more definition. You're maintaining mass, getting a "pump" from the added water, and losing the fat that was covering the muscles.

It's not about losing more weight to have visible abs, it's about cutting BF %.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    There might be some noob muscle gain, but you're in a deficit, so it's mostly water retention.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    No, you are pretty much guaranteed not to build any real muscle in a calorie deficit with only moderate body weight exercises. What you're most likely experiencing is water retention to aid in muscle repair. It happens whenever you start a new workout, and it's temporary, so no worries.
  • ZoobityBop
    Options
    I'm with everyone else here, you wouldn't build too much muscle while on a retention. I'd actually recommend you keep your routine much simpler. All you really need is basic weight lifting exercises 3x a week for the same if not better results. Classic Body Now's a good program to get started on that. Read my review on it, you just might like it: http://fantasticfitnessreviews.com/classicbodynowreview/

Good luck.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    1/2-1 lb is hardly anything to really worry about, as to whether it's fat or muscle. I never start seeing weight gains (from muscle) until I get close to my goal weight. But some people, when they start doing weights, slack off on cardio, which is more efficient at burning calories. So they may be building muscle, but hanging onto the fat. If your body fat percentage drops & your weight goes up, then that would be muscle.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - I have sort of thought this all along - but I really do appreciate the feedback!