OCD Calorie Counting...What if?

Options
...What if you've never accounted for your BMR divided by 24 hours and then subtracted that from the hours on average you workout out per day?

Example: BMR is 2400, or 100 calories burned per hour. You workout 1.5 hours and would have burned 150 calories regardless of your activity. So now you've worked out and burned say 600 calories during this time frame. Your true burn would be 450 calories.

*sips coffee*

Replies

• Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've never seen you post before
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

I'm planning a big meal this evening and typing for my height/weight is 46 calories per hour. But then, my BMR is 100 calories per hour so that means I slow down my metabolism while typing. Oh lord, what should I do?
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    or would it be 750? :;taps chin::
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ...What if you've never accounted for your BMR divided by 24 hours and then subtracted that from the hours on average you workout out per day?

Example: BMR is 2400, or 100 calories burned per hour. You workout 1.5 hours and would have burned 150 calories regardless of your activity. So now you've worked out and burned say 600 calories during this time frame. Your true burn would be 450 calories.

*sips coffee*

That is what you should do, but it should be done using maintenance calories, which are higher than BMR. BMR is what you would burn in a coma, maintenance includes living. I am sure that if you weren't exercising you would be sitting, standing, eating, that requires more cals than sleeping, so even using BMR you still double count those little extras.

If you have a BMR of 2400 your maintenance at sedentary would be in the 2880 range or 120/hours, so in an hour and a half the amount you should back off of exercise cals (even if using a HRM) would be 180, not the 150 you calculated. Please also keep in mind that all calorie burns are estimates and you may burn 25% more or less than the estimate too, or your calculated BMR and maintenance may not be your actual BMR or maintenance, it is all done on estimates, but backing out maintenance cals will give you a proper way of doing the math, whether the figures going into that estimate are correct is another story.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I'm planning a big meal this evening and typing for my height/weight is 46 calories per hour. But then, my BMR is 100 calories per hour so that means I slow down my metabolism while typing. Oh lord, what should I do?

That may be 46 above the BMR, as you are sitting/thinking/moving a little etc.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Here for the bacon.
  • AZ_Gato
    Options

That may be 46 above the BMR, as you are sitting/thinking/moving a little etc.

Mind = blown
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Huh?:huh:
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Whoa. Sounds like we are delving into some quantum physics here. There could be a govt research grant in it for you.

Fudamentally it's sound, however.
  • AZ_Gato
    Options
    Whoa. Sounds like we are delving into some quantum physics here. There could be a govt research grant in it for you.

Fudamentally it's sound, however.

What if thinking at a higher level burns more calories than would thinking about boobs or bacon?

*sips coffee*
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

*sips coffee*

Did you get the 600 workout calories from a HRM? Because I think some of them do subtract BMR or some other resting calorie burn est., but I'm not sure which do and which don't. I assume the activity databases don't so it would be accurate to do so yourself, if you're really into the details.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

*sips coffee*
    ::mind blown:: You never cease to amazing R! ::muah::
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    OBJECTION!! Relevance?