Getting Started AGAIN

Options
HELP!!! I am so frustrated but I know that I can do it. I lost 70 pounds 6 years ago but gained 25 pounds back. I am going to be 45 and struggling to lose the weight. 6 months ago I suffered a mild heart attack and followed with blood clots. If it weren't for the fact that I am in shape and dropped the weight years ago - I would not be here. Last Wednesday I went to the doctor and I am officially off the meds, my arteries are clean and I am in good health. Now that I am over that hurdle (exercise was very limited for the past 6 months) and I feel great - I need to drop this weight for myself and my husband. My husband has put on the pounds and is frustrated but I know that he was under quite a bit of stress this year.

Being in my 40s is great but at the same time sucks. My metabolism I can tell has changed and I have started pre-menapause. Any tips on how to drop the weight besides portion control, exercise etc.. I know that the holidays are coming up and I do allow myself to splurge on Thanksgiving. That is my favorite holiday and so grateful to be with my husband, family and friends to celebrate it with a clean bill of health.

Really appreciate the support and tips.

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Denise:wink::smile:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    To be honest you don't need anything other than portion control and a bit of exercise!
  • MrsBrosco
    Options
    I also had worked my tail off after my first child was born and managed to lose over 70lbs. Well, then life got in the way and another baby came and although I didn't put it all back on I am higher than I want to be. I have about 25lbs to go to my goal weight of 145lbs. Add me as a friend, we can help support eachother :)
  • dorloff01
    Options
    I hope so... struggling with the portion control. Always seem to be hungry.
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There's no miracle pill or magic elixir that's going to make you thin (at least not in a healthy way). No portion control or exercise??? Liposuction
  • dorloff01
    Options
    Understand that and not looking for liposuction. I did it the healthy way and trust me if I did not do it that way then the weight majority of the weight would not have stayed off. Basically trying to get started again after being in and out of the hospital. Thanks for the "advice".
  • mollykaren
    Options
    Hi there!
    I feel for you, I too have put on 30 lbs in the last year or so after loosing 6 stone! So I too am starting again. This time its coming off!!:smile:
    Good luck ! x
  • dorloff01
    Options
    Thanks so much!!! Awesome that it is coming off.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're always hungry, you may want to re-assess your goals and what kinds of food you're eating.

Goals: per your ticker, you have 20 pounds to lose. With less to lose, it's going to take time. Your weekly weight loss goal should be 1 pound per week, if not 1/2 a pound per week. Also make sure your activity level is correct (are you really sedentary or is lightly active more appropriate). And make sure you're eating back at least half of calories earned from exercise.

Kinds of food: Make sure you're getting plenty of protein in your diet (the limit set by MFP is a minimum recommended, ok to go over) as well as healthy fats as both of these nutrients will help keep you satisfied longer. Many people also find high fiber foods very satisfying.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water as well.
  • dorloff01
    Options
    Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it.