Calorie Burning Accuracy

chicabean420
chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I just plugged into MFP that I walked uphill for 3 hours and it says I burned 1582 cal. I spent the majority of 3 hours this afternoon on a video shoot, walking around a landfill...this included hiking up and down the mountains of garbage and dirt, combined with walking around. I rarely stopped moving, and of course, had that video camera with me. Is it possible I really DID burn that many calories?? I sure don't feel like I did haha

Replies

• Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    It is just an estimate. These online tools are helpful but there is no way they can be perfectly accurate. I know for me it almost always overestimates calories which is why I don't use it. If you want something that is accurate you should get a Bodybugg. I really love mine! It makes it so easy to know exactly what you burned and to set goals for yourself so you know when you need to start moving more in order to meet your daily goal. If you or anyone who reads it is interested in finding out more on the Bodybugg or ordering one you should check out my blog (address in my signature block). I have a video on there and a short review as well as a coupon code for $15 off. I think it is probably the best fitness gadget out there right now.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    I know it's not 100% accurate but I'd like to hope the guesstimation isn't ridiculously far off. I'll check your blog and see :) Thanks!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    I *heart* my bodybugg. It's shown me that some counts here are too high and some too low. Someone told me there is another device just like it but cheaper. Same company. Can't remember name though.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Would it be the GoWearFit?
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Would it be the GoWearFit?

THAT'S IT...

i think.

:D
  • Nano911
    Nano911 Posts: 18 Member
    I had to test it out for myself. One of my mfp friends logs really high calorie burns "walking thier dog". I got out my heart rate monitor and walked my dog and after a mile I was not burning anything near what my mfp friend was burning so I started to run, I still could not get the same burn they did. Turns out I would have had to walk my dog for 10 hours to burn what my friend logged they burnt. We are all different... What is in the data base is not accurate for me but may be accurate for someone else. If you want to know what you burn then you will have to test it.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Most of what I have seen on MFP is high. A couple may be pretty close. You can pick up a heart rate monitor for under $100. Lots of people like Polar - I have the F6 - the F7 and FT7 are newer. Only way to know for sure is to get one.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Whether it's high or not, way to go on being really active for 3 hours! I used to train for marathons and would get really giddy when it would tell me I burned thousands of calories. Then I'd counteract it with a vat of ice cream... lol

In all seriousness, I've been wanting to get a bodybugg too. Sometimes I'm shocked at how high the computer tells me the number is, and other times I feel like I was working WAY to hard to have such a low number!
  • shawkir
    shawkir Posts: 5 Member
    I agree that the estimates provided are high. My stationery bike shows a much lower calorie burn count than what MFP shows for same length of workout. That said, the tools provided here are very, very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.