Weekend Splurging is Ruining My Efforts

Options
OK, the fact is, I do great during the week. I have my meals set up, I go to work, I do bootcamp at lunch, I go home and feel great, ergo eat a healthy dinner, and off to bed I go. NOW, I have a problem when the weekend comes. On Friday, I want a glass of wine. One glass turns into 2 or 3, and the next thing you know, I have what I call "drunk munchies." I'm digging through my fridge looking for snacks (thankfully, my kitchen has mostly healthy stuff). BUT most weekends I give in to my sweet tooth, schlep myself to Vons and buy a treat, sometimes two treats. My calorie count usually gets blown and I get irritated. Yet for some reason, I have a hard time controlling my urges.

The heart of the matter:
I'm a stress eater/drinker. My job is stressful (quite frankly I hate my job and am looking for other options), I'm new to this town, it's lonely, I don't like getting out because A) I hate driving in traffic (Los Angeles traffic is HORRIBLE, even on weekends), and B) Re: new town/lonely, so I stay home and give into my cravings because, let's be honest, it makes me feel a little better temporarily. I acknowledge it, I take ownership of my actions, I just don't have a strategy to ween myself off of this behavior. 38 years of habits is tough to break, BUT I'm ready to make changes- I just don't know how.
I need some sort of strategy. Any suggestions? Therapy?

Replies

• bvincentelp
    bvincentelp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Alcohol seems to be the catalyst, the obvious answer seems to be stop drinking. I've replaced sitting on my butt and drinking with exercise and weight lifting, amazing the difference it made in my progress. What do you want more - to be fit and healthy or to get drunk regularly? Your choice.
  • sheilagchavda
    sheilagchavda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Log onto to meetup.com and find a community to join for a social outlet...there are really quality groups on meetup.com
  • kmyers4545
    kmyers4545 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yep, I totally realise this, just having a hard time figuring out a strategy to avoid being home with wine. It's not always easy. But thanks for the tough love :)
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym, take a class, youll meet people with the same goals and most likley the same wino muchie troubles...Good Luck
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    When I've got more time on the weekend, I do massive cardio sessions in the mornings. Gives me room to splurge on restaurant meals and wine.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have noticed periods of the same thing. I have had to stop drinking on the weekends until I reach my goal and hopefully will not even bother unless a special occasion. Not easy to do but sometimes necessary. After losing a pound a week for months even with wine I have hit a wall. Hopefully being disciplined and abstain will break through. Good luck. Get friends who like to hike, do physically active things on the weekends. My husband does not so I do it on my own.

~J
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    When I've got more time on the weekend, I do massive cardio sessions in the mornings. Gives me room to splurge on restaurant meals and wine.

Agree with this! Nothing makes me feel better than burning 800+ calories in the am. Then I have lots of time for eating, a nice nap, a movie and a glass of wine (or 2) if I have it in the house.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with meetup.com and finding some stuff to do.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If I have a trigger food (or in your case, drink) in the house I'll eat/drink all of it within a few days until its gone, put on a few pounds and use that as punishment to NEVER BUY IT AGAIN. In other words, if I were you, I'd get way drunk and then never do it again until I knew I could control myself. Instead of slinking to the candy store (? dunno what that store is) go to a gym, or to a park, or something! Use the money saved on sweets to buy a super cute pair of pants that are just one size too small and lay them out on your bed so they dauntingly stare at you every day.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to find a hobby to distract you on the weekends. Take a class, build a garden...Try to find something to keep you busy and possibly help you to meet people with the same interests. I spend as much time as I can OUTSIDE, away from my fridge on weekends, even if I just go sit at a park and read.
  • flowersofdawn
    flowersofdawn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this. The weekends are killer for me too, I just want to be home and vegetate, but that doesn't get me closer to goal (which I must have to learn this lesson a few more times over before it sticks). I find if I make myself log over the weekend - strictly - I can at least find my triggers and go from there.

Plan until it becomes habit. Get into a group activity at your local gym or community center or something to meet new people. Post on MFP when you need support! :smile:
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, but weekends are tough for me too. I'm just in a good routine Mon-Thurs. I know part of the problem is just sleeping in a bit on the weekends (I lose a couple hours right there), then going out with hubby, family parties, stopping for donuts after a basketball game ... combined with less activity as we have kids sports and church (I SO hate just sitting for three hours).

Do watch those weekends! Now that I'm tracking my food, I can easily see how I gained back the weight I lost several years ago. Weekends are still my struggle, but I don't stop counting my calories and recording everything here. Try telling yourself you have to pre-log anything you eat/drink, and maybe that will give you a few extra moments to gain control (it sometimes works for me).
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank god you brought this up because I was feeling like I was the only one that does this. I binged on drinking this past weekend and now I'm paying the price on the scale. I guess I'm going to do what someone suggested and hit the gym hard on weekend mornings so I can have my glass of wine later on.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't keep the things that you splurge on in your home. Once I identified my trigger foods, I began to get them out of my house. I will eat them on occasion when I go out, but having to pay for a small serving keeps me in check.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I try to undershoot my goals during the week to allow for the weekend splurge. Similar to you, I found I could easily hit my targets M - F but then I would have 1 event (dinner with friends, treat watching TV, etc.) during the weekend that would put me over for the week. I'm currently trying to eat about 150 to 200 calories below my target and a little below my carb target during the week. Then I eat them back on the weekend.

Net calories and macros for the week end up being the same, since my treats normally end up being higher in carbs (i.e. desserts).

Hope that helps!
  • brandycochran
    brandycochran Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and wonder what I can do to improve. Weekends for me tend to be a lot of running around, no time (or at least this is the excuse I make up) to eat right or a reward for being so good during the week ONE day of the weekend turns into a full blown binge for 3 days until I'm back at work and on a 'schedule'.....I've looked into Overeaters Anonymous (I am an emotional eater as well - any emotion, I can figure out a way to eat myself better), thought about re-joining Weight Watchers (it worked for me in the past) but I'm not sure where to turn....which is why I want to try to log onto MFP more regularly, make motivational connections and help others. With that being said, I'd love to add you as a friend so hopefully we can beat these emotions and habits (which die hard, as we allll know) together....YOU KEEP YOUR CHIN UP, young lady! I know you can do it.
  • kmyers4545
    kmyers4545 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I love all the support- feeling not so alone.

I certainly appreciate the suggestions. I have to break the cycle and force myself outside. Being alone in a new city doesn't help with this, but yeah, gotta put the big girl pants on, make like a Nike swoosh, and just do it. Or get therapy. Something's gotta change.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I love all the support- feeling not so alone.

I certainly appreciate the suggestions. I have to break the cycle and force myself outside. Being alone in a new city doesn't help with this, but yeah, gotta put the big girl pants on, make like a Nike swoosh, and just do it. Or get therapy. Something's gotta change.

With that attitude you'll find new friends in no time! You seem sweet, you just need to put yourself out there. Good luck honey! <3
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am the same way on the weeekends. My friday cheat day turned into eating out all wekeend long and being WAY over! The drinking is a part of it for me, but the main part is I get a taste of the good stuff and I cant get enough of it! Just keep working at it. It gets better ... I try to also eat a LOT of things at home to keep it all in control!

50540473.png
  • malvina149
    Options
    Boy do I ever get this. I don't drink anymore, but emotional/comfort eating--hoo boy, yes. A few things seem to help. I acknowledge my feelings and say to myself: "Sit with this." I just let it suffuse my mind and heart, I feel the weight of it, then I let it go. Sometimes exercising when I want to eat (as long as I'm not overhungry or have low blood sugar) can distract me, or some other activity you like. I heard meditation is good, but I can't sit still too long!

Much luck to you!