-One More Question Re: TDEE-20%

Options
Hi guys,

One more question regarding TDEE-20% - the number of calories I come up with eating for this method is 1500 per day. This works fine on a non workout day, but on a day where I'm working out I am netting under 1200.

Is this right? I am not supposed to eat workout calories back under this formula - just 1500 everyday, even on workout days? Just want to make sure this is the case.

Thanks!!

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    A 20% cut is quite a lot, and 1500 calories doesn't seem like much... What kind of exercise are you doing and how often?

From what I understand, you should eat the same amount every day regardless of if it's a workout day or not, but if you net below your BMR on a workout day, then you should eat back some of the exercise calories so that your net is in line with your BMR.

So for example, if you eat 1500 but you burn 300, and your BMR is 1350 then you should eat an extra 150, making your total intake 1650 but your net intake 1350...

But like I said 1500 seems very low so I'd suggest redoing your figures, making sure you don't underestimate your activity. I'd also probably suggest a 15% cut but that's up to you :)
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    When using the TDEE method, you are not supposed to eat back your exercise calories as these are already added back into your daily goal (that's why you have to state an activity level).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When using the TDEE method, you are not supposed to eat back your exercise calories as these are already added back into your daily goal (that's why you have to state an activity level).

this... 1500 doesnt sound a lot if you are burning more than 3-400 cals per workout? if this is only once or twice a week then it'll probably be ok, if its more often you may have under estimated your activity level when you did your TDEE calculation?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^yep.

However, from your ticker, you only have a few pounds to lose. You may want to eat a few hundred more on workout days, mainly for energy levels.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Apart from what the others above have mentioned, have you included proper activity level while calculating tdee? If you have set it as sedentary, eat exercise calories back, else you might want to reduce deficit to 10-15% if you do not have lot to lose
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well you eat extra calories when you don't work out with that system, so it balances out. Just make sure to pick the right activity level.
  • kimf79
    kimf79 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

this... 1500 doesnt sound a lot if you are burning more than 3-400 cals per workout? if this is only once or twice a week then it'll probably be ok, if its more often you may have under estimated your activity level when you did your TDEE calculation?

Yeah I know, I'm confused. I asked a question on this board before and someone was telling me I was calculating my TDEE higher than it should be - It was 1,985. So I thought I was doing something wrong and lowered the calories a little after my calculation.

I am 5'2'', 115, 34 yr old female, and I work out about 5x per week, mostly burning 400 calories each time, but maybe 1 of those days I burn less when I take a yoga class. Maybe I need to redo my calculations - or if anyone can suggest an accurate website to calculate?

Thanks so much!
  • kimf79
    Options
    A 20% cut is quite a lot, and 1500 calories doesn't seem like much... What kind of exercise are you doing and how often?

From what I understand, you should eat the same amount every day regardless of if it's a workout day or not, but if you net below your BMR on a workout day, then you should eat back some of the exercise calories so that your net is in line with your BMR.

So for example, if you eat 1500 but you burn 300, and your BMR is 1350 then you should eat an extra 150, making your total intake 1650 but your net intake 1350...

But like I said 1500 seems very low so I'd suggest redoing your figures, making sure you don't underestimate your activity. I'd also probably suggest a 15% cut but that's up to you :)

Thanks for your input! I am working out about 5x per week, and mostly doing cardio burning about 400 calories each time, and maybe 1 day of yoga which burns less calories. I should probably redo my calculations and make sure everything is right again.

But I think your idea of netting at least at my BMR on workout days makes sense! Thank you :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you are working out that much 2000 isn't that off! I'm 5'1'', 145lbs, 44. My TDEE (lightly active = job and horseback riding) is at 1700. I count my workouts separately and eat some of those cals back. They amount to about 1400cal/week. So my TDEE with exercise would be about 1900. At the moment I'm at a deficit because I want to lose weight. But my TDEE seems to be about right.

You are younger and exercise more, so that TDEE is OK.
  • kimf79
    Options
    If you are working out that much 2000 isn't that off! I'm 5'1'', 145lbs, 44. My TDEE (lightly active = job and horseback riding) is at 1700. I count my workouts separately and eat some of those cals back. They amount to about 1400cal/week. So my TDEE with exercise would be about 1900. At the moment I'm at a deficit because I want to lose weight. But my TDEE seems to be about right.

You are younger and exercise more, so that TDEE is OK.

Okay thank you! Yeah someone was telling me before I was calculating it wrong and I didn't think so since I had tried it on 3 different websites!!