Workout Attire??

Options
I am not a fan of going to the gym. I have what I am sure is a phobia or close to it, of working out in front of other people. So I am not sure I know all the proper etiquette for doing so. Where I work we have a gym just across the hall. My shift ends at 5:30 pm, and around that time there are usually only 1 or 2 people if any working out. I bought a lock for the locker room, but have not yet gotten around to getting my workout clothes (which are basically t-shirts, sweatpants, sweatshirts and sports bras) out of my closet so I can pack a bag to bring to work with me. My plan is for 2-3 days a week while boyfriend works evenings, to go straight to the gym when my shift ends and workout for 30-60 minutes before heading home.

My question is, on days when I don't have time to or forget to pack clothes, would it be weird if I just did cardio for 30 minutes in my jeans and t shirt (my job allows casual attire at all times) and then went straight home to shower? If there are people in there, I don't want them looking at me and thinking I'm ridiculous for working out in jeans.

Replies

• SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people think? Get-R-done!!!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Check with the gym's dress code. Our gym doesn't allow jeans, and you have to wear a t-shirt with sleeves. If they're fine with it, go ahead.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I doesn't matter.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people think? Get-R-done!!!

^^^THIS :smile:

Go for it do what is best for you and forget about what others think!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It would be considered weird to do cardio in jeans. Some people you don't know might think, "that's weird!"
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can think of to not wear jeans to the gym is because of how they constrict movement, compared to sweatpants anyway. Other than that, I can't see any reason not to. It's no different than playing outside as a kid, we always wore jeans for that.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'd die of overheating but if you can do it, go for it.

I was at my work gym and there was a lady from the other company in jeans, a work top, and a hoodie/sweat thing.
    But I overheat in shorts and a t shirt
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would just bring another pair of pants, either yoga-ish or even like light khakis. I've worked in many gyms and yeah, jeans would be sort of weird. Plus, you'll be a LOT more comfortable in easier-moving bottoms. They don't have to be workout wear, per se, but something other than jeans, I think.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I am going to be the voice of dissent here:

Jeans + running + sweating = chafing

Avoid chafing at all cost.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Find the junkiest workout clothes in your collection (you know, the ones that you're embarrassed to wear, even though you're working out and don't care how you look because they're *that* junky) and keep them as a spare set in the trunk of the car or under your desk at work just in case you forget what you would normally bring.

Or just go home on those days, grab the gym clothes and either head back to the gym and work out there.

Personally, I can't imagine working out in jeans would be that comfortable.
  • okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Check with the gym's dress code. Our gym doesn't allow jeans, and you have to wear a t-shirt with sleeves. If they're fine with it, go ahead.

I agree. Some gyms won't allow jeans, or "cut offs," or shoes without rubber soles... they can be pretty strict. If not- do what you have to do!

Just a thought: maybe you can store a workout outfit at work, or in your car?
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options

I agree with this. But I've also seen people at my gym wearing normal clothes - they are mostly the elderly folks who are just going for a walk on the treadmill, not necessarily breaking a sweat. You don't say what level of effort you will be doing. I also think you should check to see the gym doesn't have a dress code of some sort. And for goodness sake, get that bag packed and in the car. You could always stick a spare pair of pants (and shoes) in the car to use on the days you may forget the bag.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    To address many of the points made by everyone:

my gym doesn't have a dress code - the sign on the door says you have to have something on on top and something on on the bottom LOL.

as far as overheating - I think I'll be ok with a water bottle since I'm only going to do 30 mins of cardio - and the only time I would workout in jeans is on the occasion (like today) that I don't have workout clothes with me.

the chafing issue is another story. I'm willing to give it a try and see if the jeans are too uncomfortable or not, but I just wondered if people would judge me for wearing jeans. It freaks me out for some reason to think people are watching me work out and judging me :embarassed:
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I would be judging you. But, I'm also a stranger and would keep my dumb opinion to myself. :) I personally don't care what strangers think of me, unless it's a really hot guy, in which case I care a teensie bit more than zero. Do what you gotta do to get where you wanna go. It's only as weird as you make it out to be. Go in all confident and just rock your jeans.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I agree with this. But I've also seen people at my gym wearing normal clothes - they are mostly the elderly folks who are just going for a walk on the treadmill, not necessarily breaking a sweat. You don't say what level of effort you will be doing. I also think you should check to see the gym doesn't have a dress code of some sort. And for goodness sake, get that bag packed and in the car. You could always stick a spare pair of pants (and shoes) in the car to use on the days you may forget the bag.

Yes I plan to have a bag packed and a spare outfit in the car is a good idea - I think I will do that as well. I plan on just getting my heart rate up and doing either the treadmill, eliptical or bike at a steady pace with bursts of faster activity in between. Just a quick 30-minute cardio session to help melt the excess fat from my body. I just started working out again - I was doing a 30 minute workout at home where I would do 5 minutes cardio, then a few reps of arm exercises, leg exercises, and abdominal exercises, followed by another 5 minutes of cardio. I just started this on Friday so I have only had one session so far - I am easing my way into working out so as not to over-exhert myself.

After talking to my boyfriend and doing some online research I think I am better of doing more cardio to boost weight loss and then add some strength training in later.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you would probably get some folks looking at you, thinking, "she's going to work out in jeans?" but it probably won't go beyond that, because yes, working out in jeans is very uncomfortable and just..chaffing..ouch. But I'm sure no one will directly say anything to you, or even give it a second thought.

So rock it out!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My typical training attire whether rock climbing, playing tennis, lifting weights or practising tai chi is combat trousers, wicking t-shirt and hooded top (depending on the temperature). I'd only wear shorts or more specific clothing if there was a rule at the venue.

WRT jeans, I'd think they wouldn't give you the freedom to move. My combats are quite loose fitting so I can do high kicks and big lunges if necessary.
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    I do it all the time at the gym in my office. I get on the elliptical, turn on the t.v. or my headphones and tune everyone out. The only thing I would think someone would look at you sideways about was if you were wearing the wrong footwear.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can think of to not wear jeans to the gym is because of how they constrict movement, compared to sweatpants anyway. Other than that, I can't see any reason not to. It's no different than playing outside as a kid, we always wore jeans for that.

^^^ this

I work out at home, but never in jeans... can't imagine doing *kitten*-to-grass barbell squats in jeans *imagines quads and glutes bursting out of them hulk style* underwear or pajamas maybe, but not jeans lol

check out your gym's dress code as well. If your work allows casual wear, maybe wear your workout clothes at work, or clothes that are more suitable for working out in, but still okay for your work
  • LivingFrench
    Options
    A man at my gym does his weight routines in jeans. He's in great shape. It doesn't matter what you wear or what others think.