Losing Weight and Temperature Sensitivity

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone else who has lost some weight has experienced this. Last winter I weighed about 40lbs more than I do today. I live on the east coast of the US where it has been getting colder lately and I've been getting a lot colder than I ever have before.

For instance, right now the temperature has gone back up (it's around 67 deg. F. today- it's been in the 40's-50's). I had to turn on the space heater in my office to keep warm. The same thing is true of the car- when I'm driving, if it's cold outside it takes me a lot longer to warm up and if I'm wearing a jacket outside, I don't stay warm as long as I used to.

Ha.. maybe I'm just weird, but I was interested to see if anyone else has recognized this as they've lost weight. (It's a side-effect I'm fine with if it means being much healthier!) :)

Replies

• okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    welcome to the carry a jacket bunch. Lot so f folks have the same complaint as they begin to loose the extra insulation and the thyroid adjusts. I guess by the time I hit goal, I will live in a parka from October to April! :)
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes same here, I realy feel the cold now I've lost but don't miss my coat of Fat, I find it easyer to take my coat off when I get in & not have it on in the summer as well as the winter :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fat is insulation. Less fat, less insulation.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't mind having to wear coats more regularly. What annoys me is things like freezing at my ankles! Yes my jeans covers the leg all the way to my shoes, but after my weight loss I actually have to buy new SOCKS to accommodate for that. Ridiculous.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    This happens when you lose fat...
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I had the extra 135lbs being cold was something that never happened. I could go outside with shorts and a t-shirt and still get sweaty walking around. Now, I go jogging with a jacket and sweatshirt and sweatpants. I used to think I was warm blooded. Nope. I'll tell you though, loosing the weight makes for much more pleasant summers.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Even at my highest weight I was always freezing, still freezing, lol.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was freezing all last winter, and have started to get cold again as the weather's getting colder now. It can also have to do with being on a calorie restriction, but I haven't found that I've felt any warmer this winter now I'm at maintenance.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs in 6 months and lived/worked in the DC metro area. and yes...I noticed big time; I will say....I still cannot handle the cold 6 years later (heat doesn't bother me)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It feels at least 10 degrees cooler to me these days (last winter I was 50 pounds heavier). Sweaters and jackets are a much bigger part of my wardrobe now.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm freezing once it's under about 75 degrees. It sucks, but it's better than the alternative.