How do you maintain your social life?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I start with a light beer or two, and pretty much forget or don't feel like eating after that. So i keep like a 1 beer=1 wing ratio and it works out great :bigsmile:

I start out with a microbrew and then forget to eat at all after a wing or two. I then drink a bunch more microbrews,forget to log, get dehydrated and am down two pounds the next day. I just try to eat semi-normally the next day instead of succumbing to hangover food. It never seems to impact my weight for the week. I just make sure I work out before I go out on Fridays and then I make sure I get a workout (even a walk) in on Saturday.

I only go out every once or two weeks and I'm way happy to spend my cals on beer instead of food and I don't even attempt to log them.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I am also friendless but I still get hammered on a disGUSTingly regular basis.

On the face of it I am a pathetic individual.

But, hell, I'm a slim pathetic individual!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I work around stuff (FTR I'm at 1,410 calories right now)

If I'm going out to dinner, I usually eat a very small (150-250 cal) breakfast and lunch in preparation.

If I am planning to drink on a Saturday night I will get in a longer bike ride and/or hike during the day.

My best friend loves to go out for coffee one night per week. I eat a normal breakfast and lunch that day and then, instead of getting a 350 cal latte, I either order a protein smoothie and make it my dinner or I get plain brewed coffee and a small pastry and then eat a salad or something else healthy when I get home.

ETA: If I'm going out to dinner somewhere reasonably healthy, for example a place where I know the nutritional facts & I'm gonna order fish or a tortilla-free burrito bowl, etc, I eat a normal sized breakfast and lunch and pre-log.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of choices and balancing. Work out more, eat less during the week, create a bigger deficit, chose to eschew some of the drinks, plan ahead. I eat out frequently, often at local restaurants that don't provide calorie counts - so I weigh everything at home and work on 'training my eye' so I know approximately the portion sizes I'm getting at the restaurant of whatever it is - I then do my best to overestimate what I put into my mouth there, and I tend to add in a couple extra tablespoons of butter or oil to help account for the hidden calories I know I didn't catch (things that come in sauces or were part of the cooking process we don't see).

I limit my alcohol consumption and drink a lot of water while sipping whatever I've ordered to drink. When I was at corporate headquarters in Florida earlier this year, I read up on calorie counts in different drinks so I had an idea what impact that dragonberry mojito might have and whether or not I felt it was worth it for the daily calorie count (it totally was).

So choices and balancing. Plan.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You're 19. I guess telling you not to drink is a little ridiculous...I gained most of my weight from alcohol in college. I know it's fun, but you'll have just as much fun (and no hangover) if you drink less (than I did) and/or mix your beverage of choice with diet-whatever and sip it instead of shooting it.

Why am I even posting on this? Friday nights are half a bottle of wine with my sweatpants and Netflix. :)
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I opt for a lighter option meal when going out for dinners. Usually most places have an under 600 or so calorie menu and I can always find something that I like. When it comes to drinks I order vodka/water and then add my favorite mio to it. Less calories than ordering other drinks or Ill stick to a light beer. I always make sure to get some exercise in before I go out so then I can eat/drink my calories back.
    Ill still log everything even if it is 8 beers and 2 shots. more fun to see how a night out can add up. :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So I've noticed that I do really amazing during the week with my nutrition and workouts. However, when the weekend comes, a little social drinking, or a meal out with friends can completely blow my diet. How do you balance your calorie intake on the weekends, without staying at home and spending your Saturday night on the treadmill?

Really?

That shouldn't blow your diet (i don't really like the word "diet" either, but that's a topic for another day).

There are two easy ways to go here - 1) account for future calories ahead of time. eat a little less on Friday morning to give you extra that night. or 2) don't worry about it because 1 day of slipping up when you've nailed it 6 other days, is probably not going to hurt that much.

THIS.

and what the other lady who said she was serious about body recomp- if they want to go hang out- they go do things- like running- or hiking- they dont' go out "fooding" or "drinking"

I personally work 3 jobs- I'm incredibly busy- I keep my house in tact (or try) and I live with a grown man- who is as mentally mature as a 16 year old- and no I"m not kidding. And no we aren't dating- so it's even more of a chore because I can't have an intelligent conversation with him about it- he's 30 years old- he's a grown *kitten* man- he should be able to realize that keeping house doesn't do itself.

Anyway - point is I'm fcking busy. I don't hang out much. But when i do I either just know that it's going to be a big calorie day and I account for it over the next two or three- or I just use some self discipline and don't go over board- I log everything I can RIGHT THERE. I don't wait till after- it's not that rude to whip out your phone and plug something in- 90% of the people take phone calls and texts while they are out. Or do it when you hit the bathroom.

They get used to it- I log in front of whoever I'm with- I don't care. Counting calories isn't a dirty secret.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    With 2 young kids my social life revolves around skinny lattes and soft play!

When I was younger and didn't have kids, I used to go out a lot and drink a lot. I didn't put on weight. I went to university in France for a year, you can bet I drank a LOT! English students abroad, oh dear lol.

If you're eating out, just choose healthy options like chicken with veg, and maybe go for lower calorie drinks like vodka and tonic.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just plan for it, if you're know you're going out, hit your exercises early and eat light during the day. Enjoy your night and try to make good choices. If you have to have something higher in calories, eat half and take the rest home or share with a buddy. Nothing wrong with indulging without going overboard.

I still go out with friends, Mexican restaurant even, do you know how evil that is?? lol However, I eat a few chips & cheese dip, try to pick a healthy dinner and enjoy. We also talk a lot, so I eat slower, get full faster, and usually end up with some left over to take home for lunch the next day.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have an an active social life, in addition to a busy day to day life, and have no plans on cutting it back. What I do is make a plan on how I am going to handle things such as: if I am going to drink what and how much, if we are going out for dinner what foods I am willing to eat for that meal, etc. Does this means that I never change my mind and don't follow my plan? I am human so I will change my mind, I will misjudge things, I will make mistakes but that is part of life but it does help going in with a plan and then picking myself up when I don't do well. I want to live a healthy active life not one where I am a prisoner to it.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Well...back in my younger days...

I'd eat something (chicken breast, etc) that was lower cal, higher protein (I was always trying to increase protein back in the day), etc. before going out.

Then, I could just snack and drink. Cheaper, fewer calories, and less alcohol to get buzzed.

Good luck!:drinker:
  • roniredd
    Options
    I work to cut down on the amount that I would have typically eaten or drinken. For example, instead of drinken 3 beers, I would only drink 2 ... or switch to light beer or wine. I now make what I call a "skinny" cosmo too. Jut make small changes, they will add up.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. If it's the weekend, then I will go for a nice long hike. I'll then eat lightly through the day and save all of my calories for dinner. This is pretty much my plan for Thanksgiving too.

Also, I try not to take things so seriously. One day of a family get-together or eating out isn't going to ruin all my hard work. Eat for the event/dinner/whatever and then it's right back to normal the next day.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    First, let me say it CAN be done because I'm at goal weight (well, joined MFP at goal weight pretty much) and go out ALL the time. Except, my friends and I are very big runners so we burn it off....half marathons, marathons, 8ks, 10ks, warrior dash, spartan sprint....so my advice is to take up running (burn it off). I enjoy a nice steak & drinks like the next guy and those are a LOT of calories on a Friday night...just be prepared to put in the work for those cals!!!

I have a wide variety of friends and we have a blast....we're always traveling for races, renting beach houses, riding motorcycles...we love to have fun but you have to have the other side, too. It's still the same formula, calories in vs. calories out. There are no shortcuts :)
  • AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I kind of have the same problem. It's really hard because in our society socializing revolves around high calorie activities. Which means we have to change our mindset about what socializing actually is. You're not going just for the food and booze are you? You're going to hang out with your friends. Permanent weight loss isn't really about dieting, it's about completely changing your diet - every day of the week (including weekends). It's okay to splurge every once in awhile - like birthdays and some holidays - but every weekend (even with cutting out calories during the week) is a little much. Pay more attention to the time spent having fun with your buddies. Also, think about the quality and nutrition of the foods you're eating and use that to make better decisions at every meal - whether you're eating out with friends or spending the night at home.

I'm currently working on cutting animal products, sugar, and overly processed foods out of my diet and moving to more plant based whole foods. So far it's been challenging eating out, but not as bad as I first predicted. The hardest thing for me is the "you're weird" or "she's always so difficult" looks I believe I'm getting. But my husband has informed me that the only person who really make a big deal about what I'm eating or not eating is me. Honestly, I try not to eat out. I prefer to know first hand what I'm eating. But If it's something unavoidable most restaurants have healthier choices on their menus. Sometimes I sneak in my own food to eat with a salad or some other side I've ordered from the restaurant. I don't drink anything but water usually so I don't really have a problem with trying to balance out the beer calories. My advice on that would be to cut back on your drinking - it's really not good for you anyway. :)
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    well, ive got the work christmas do at the end of the month, as usual it will be a hedonistic mix of food and copious amounts of drink. im serious about keeping my weight loss on track, i will be trying to build up a good deficit between now and then, that i can blow that night. other than that, i dont have much of a social life atm out of choice, getting to the weight i want to be is more important. i cant do both.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead, decide where u r going ahead of time look at the menu at home and decide what younwill have including drinks

get in some extra exercise

cut back a little each day maybe 150 cals a day for 3 or 4 days before I know I am going out or to party and then I have an extra 450-600 cals to use for the weekend, party or holiday

hope this helps
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I find I can fit plenty of booze in on a Saturday night as long as I eat light meals during the day. About once a month I get the alcohol munchies and drunkenly eat whatever I've been craving all week at midnight; I log it if I remember to and don't worry about it if I don't. Eating out hasn't really been a concern, as I'm pretty broke and most of my friends are too. Mostly we sit around on someone's porch, have some drinks, and relax. It's been (fortunately for me) pretty easy.
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out a good way to do this yet.... so in a way i don't really :(

LOL and then I wonder why I get off track so easily (I'm VERY social)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't have one...