Losing lbs. not inches

Options
For the last couple of months I have been exercising/trying to eat correctly, etc. That being said I have lost 16 lbs. now (I weigh weekly) but I haven't really lost any inches. I know it's not an exact science (tape measure not being in the same place etc.) but it's not really making sense to me. My body fat % is also going down so any ideas what's going on? I complete measurements and body fat % testing at the gym I go to (and try to have the same person do it) so I would think that they know how to do it correctly. Suggestions?

Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    In order to lose inches you will need to do strength training. I didn't lose inches until I introduced that into my routine.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I've been doing quite a bit of strength training already. Circuit training 30 minutes a day and 40 minutes with 5lb. weights at least 2-3 times a week.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yeah thats been my finding too. Sometimes loosing lbs can be deceptive, even when your BF goes down cause when you overdo cardio with no strength, you end up loosing muscle. especially when doing long periods of cardio with little difficulty varience, your body uses up its ready glucose supply and then looks to protein from muscle as the next easiest place to take energy from. Add a little strength circuit (usually there are trainers at the gym who can give you a little intro) and those inches will follow. and congrats on the lose so far!!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ooops looks like we posted at the same time....sorry :)
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Time to up your weighs to 8 lbs, make sure you are working your glutes and legs since they are the biggest muscles and will slim down and speed up metabolism. Lunges, squats, burpees, etc will help drop the inches.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Don't wory - it will come. Patience!
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've been doing quite a bit of strength training already. Circuit training 30 minutes a day and 40 minutes with 5lb. weights at least 2-3 times a week.

Try going to heavier weights. You would be surprised. I am doing Chalean Extreme and in the first month I lost 10 inches. Or get those workout bands and tighten them up. They are supposed to work well too.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are losing it from somewhere you aren't measuring like face, hands ect ect
  • ct1986
    Options
    Maybe you are losing it from somewhere you aren't measuring like face, hands ect ect

That's what I'm thinking because I'm still reaching muscular fatigue with my 5 lb. weights and my arms are shaking by the last few reps each time.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    We are never happy. If we lose inches, we want to lose weight and if we lose weight we want to lose inches.....:laugh:

Trust me, if you lose weight, the inches will happen. If you lose inches the weight will happen. Our bodies are individual and complex structures. What works for one, doesnt work for another etc....

If you're eating right and exercising and you' re not losing EITHER after a couple of months, then start to worry :noway:

Congrats on an awesome loss - 16lbs is absolutely amazing in 2 months!!! :bigsmile:
  • ct1986
    Options
    lol, actually I'm okay with it but I didn't know if it was a bad thing and I needed to change something.
  • jpease
    jpease Posts: 8
    Options
    Go to a heavier weight with fewer reps. Then when you can reach your original reps (I max my reps at 10 each set), then go to a heavier weight....lower the reps. That's how you gain muscle which in turn will help your inches shrink...you might see a slight increase in weight, because muscle is heavier than fat...but don't be discouraged.
  • Gonzaln2
    Gonzaln2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Go somewhere that someone can do pinches on you and calculate your BMI.

I had the same problem, my weight went down but I wasn't losing inches. I went to my 24hr fitness and got a trainer to pinch my fat and I lost a good amount of body fat. The trainer pinched me, weighed me and then measured me for an accurate reading.

Its uncomfortable, but its a good way to know what your at. BMI calculations with just weight and height or just inches are a good idea, but are off most of the time.
  • ct1986
    Options
    Like I said before I've already had my body fat percentage tested at the gym.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Our bodies have a mind of their own when it comes to taking the weight off. I have been measuring my bust, waist, hips and thighs and have lost 10 inches total. I have lost 30 pounds. The places I lost?...hands, feet, ankles, face and neck. My rings slide off, I slide around in my shoes and high collars don't bother me anymore. I have also noticed that on my left thigh I have a pooch of fat right in the middle on the inside....above and below it are visibly smaller. I just figure I will be oddly shaped for a while until most of the fat is gone. I am doing cardio 3x a week and strength training 3x a week.

Face it, our bodies just have an odd sense of humor.
  • Gonzaln2
    Gonzaln2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten lab work done to check your thyroid, blood sugar, etc?

Maybe you need to rotate your workout routine. I rotate mine every three months so my muscles don't get used to the same movements.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Great thread! I have the same problem :( Lost about the same amount of weight as you, but no measurement changes :(

Guess I need to start strength training! Haven't got any free weights though :o