How do you go about this personally??

Options
Hi everyone,

So I had an in general question and was looking for some suggestions!

What do you all do about working out on the days that your muscles/body are extremely sore?

Example.. Any days where I do any type of squats/core exercises I find that the next day I sometimes can't even get out of bed! But I don't want to be omitting any days due to this.

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    In the early stages you could alternate days of resistance exercise and cardio. You'll have to scale back the intensity of the cardio if this is difficult for you, so that you don't run yourself into the ground or injury.
  • bellesie
    Options
    Are you cooling down and stretching properly after you exercise?
    If you don't cool down and stretch your muscles will not get a chance to relax and the build up of lactic acid will stay in your muscles making them more fatigued and you will find that you will be quite sore after a workout especially the next day.
    Also it is important to ensure that you are drinking enough water so that you don't cramp.
    Hope this helps :smile:
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    I generally feel a tad better after feeling a bit sore and stiff. Everyone is different though. Alternate what parts of your body you are working on and even the times of the day. I try to go every 2nd day, but when i wake up I'm still a bit stiff, i eat, go for a walk and feel more up to it in the afternoon.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I take more rest days at very first, for like the first 2 weeks. I do stretching on my rest days or some gentle yoga :) I think the stretching helps a lot. Pretty much do anything gentle that gets blood to those sore muscles.

Later, I can do a whole lot more at once. I get DOMS badly at the very beginning of something, that's all. But I do make sure to do the same thing that gave me DOMS twice within the same week. If you wait too long, you have to start back at zero! 2x a week works for me, but that was just a guess I used. Some folks may be able to wait longer - dunno :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, stretching, and walking. I know some people swear by baths with epsom salts, but I can't sit still long enough for that.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I make sure I drink enough water and focus on other parts of my body if one is too sore. For instance, if I did a massive amount of cardio and lower body work yesterday, I'd be working my upper body and core today. Similarly, going for a walk also helps as it is active recovery. Lots of stretching is good as well :)

Eventually it'll get easier and you won't be as sore as when you first started. Good luck!
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching when you are done exercising? I still continue the next day but I stretch well before and after. It hurts to move but eventually you loosen up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do what was on the agenda to do that day.

Being sore will go away. It's not an excuse to not do something.
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Dont work out when you are terribly sore. Your body needs adequate rest to build muscle strength.

If you must work out daily, alternate body parts. Like lower body one day then upper body the next day.

And on your off days do light activity just to keep yourself moving alittle. Like go for a walk, clean the house, dance around alittle.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If I'm incredibly sore the next day, I just keep going. Yeah, I walk a little slower but I'm still walking. I drink a lot of water and stretch a lot to combat a lot of that soreness/stiffness. Also, I've taken up swimming laps and I don't get sore like I do from going to the gym.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Your body will get less sore as time goes on, but in the meantime just go for a walk/swim/cycle the day after a big workout. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching when you are done exercising? I still continue the next day but I stretch well before and after. It hurts to move but eventually you loosen up.

This! .....a good warm up & some stretching afterwards. Some people just need to stretch more than other people. Move the next day, even if it's just walking.