P90X or Insanity

Options
Cant decide what to do first. I want to lose 20-25 pounds and then start toning up...should i start with P90X or Insanity first. Which one would give me better results on dropping the weight?

Replies

• ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So... insanity is usually 60 days. The length of the work outs vary from about 35-40 min in the first month to about an hour the second month. Insanity is heavy on the cardio and has a great deal of body weight exercises, but uses no dumbells or other equipment. It's just you and Shaun T.

I've not P90x but I understand that there is more lifting and uses equipment. The older versions are 90 days instead of 60. Someone else will have to tell you about the length and variety of the programs.

I think that insanity is better for fat loss - note that you will loses inches before you lose weight - you have to put your scale away when you do insanity.

Insanity is also harder, from what I can tell, but P90x is hard enough. That being said, I jumped right into Insanity and did fine.
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    They will both give you the same kind of results if you have a good nutrition plan.

P90X uses resistance training and is a more diversified program with workouts like : Kenpo, Plyo, Yoga, resistance days,etc...

Insanity is mostly cardio workout and you don't need any equipment for it. P90X you will need at least resistance bands or Dumbells and a Pull-up Bar.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so you're only choosing between a workout designed to last 60 day or a workout made to last 90 days?
  • JChiarizio
    Options
    The P90X workouts are longer and use equipment like the others mentioned. I liked Insanity a lot for dropping lbs and I like FocusT25 even more. Only 25min a day (except double day friday if you choose to do it that way) and big results if you focus on nutrition too.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    so you're only choosing between a workout designed to last 60 day or a workout made to last 90 days?

Of course when you finish - you aren't done.... you don't get to got sit on the couch and figure you've gotten your exercise in for your life.

For me, it was a good kickstart to getting back into a routine of exercising. For someone who really doesn't know much about it, it was nice to have some structure and just do the next DVD.

The nice thing is after that first round, I found that the fitness improvements became more important than the weight loss, and I had the confidence to try some new things... running, biking, kickboxing, more lifting, etc.

Think about it as a 60 day work out change up - variety is a good thing. Maybe its just the first step in getting that variety.
  • kimdyj
    kimdyj Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh I understand that this is not a quick fix. I just want to jump start my exercise routine. I want maximum results as I also have a personal trainer that I see 2X a week but wanted to do something at home too. Thanks everyone...I started with Insanity yesterday and it's kicking my *kitten*!
  • thinkBOXoutside
    Options
    As someone who has just started p90x and completed Insanity, I recommend starting with p90x. I feel like Insanity is a much more intense workout and you'll get more of out if the better physical shape you're in.

I also like the variety in the p90x workouts. Just have to make a couple quick purchases, like the pull up bar for the home, a couple different size dumb bells. I recommend a 10-15 lbs weight.

Good luck with either one. They are very intense and YOU WILL BE SORE. Just remember to stick with it because the progress will start showing within your first couple weeks.

Also, remember, you are what you eat.
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've only done P90X, but if you plan to do both, I would start with Insanity and then move to P90X. When you do P90X, be prepared to invest a lot of time each day!!
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate for Insanity. I completed the 60 day challenge and loved it! Shaun T motivates you so much and I just find the workouts a lot of fun. So Insanity is basically all cardio with strength training built into each cardio workout, whereas with P90X some days are cardio/plyometrics and others are just like arms/shoulders etc. that don't incorporate much cardio at all. I prefer Insanity, not only for the way the workouts go, but because I like Shaun T more than Tony Horton. I like that there are 10+ people in Insanity to watch, which sounds kind of silly but idk it's nice. I hate in Kenpo X the grunting noises they make purposely. It's annoying to me, and I was rolling my eyes while doing that video. I say for weight loss and toning up Insanity will do more for you than P90X, just because there's more cardio to Insanity. And just in general, I feel like my workouts are so much more intense with Insanity. I feel like I get more out of the Insanity workouts.
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    Insanity!!!!!
  • ciccanti38
    ciccanti38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I actually started my Fitness journey with Insanity....That program kicked my BUTT!! It took me far beyond my expectations both physically & mentally. It actually made me lose the weight & tone up rather quickly! I do agree though you MUST put the scale aside...I was not really losing weight at first but I lost several inches. By the second month I was at my goal weight. I then went on to do P90X and I look & feel amazing!! I think doing Insanity first was a good choice! GOOD LUCK!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    P90x3 is out on Dec 10th. It's got shorter workouts- like Focus T25