no carbs for 6 weeks

Options
I am revisiting the Prism weight loss diet. Basically no carbs for six weeks along with low calorie eating. I m not sure where to find a good resource for recipies cause the plan recipie book is extra. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    No carbs at all? Meat, eggs, some cheese. Add mayo and enjoy.

I'd really budget a few carbs for Benefiber or similar because your system is going to slow to nothing.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the "no carbs at all?????"

The usual LOW carb approaches like Atkins dont try to force you to be low-cal as well.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    So no veggies??
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Yeah... Good luck with that.
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Seriously? Zero net carb? Erm... you will be getting almost NO veggies. Even in Atkins induction, you eat 20 net carbs and are expected to get most of those carbs from your 'foundation veggies'.

I don't know that diet, but you might want to recheck that. I can't imagine a low carb diet that's actually not harmful cutting out your leafy greens.

And I thought you needed a 'reasonable' amount of fat when on a low carb diet, or you can cause other problems.

That said - if you know the plans parameters for acceptable foods (and hopefully it doesn't REALLY mean zero carb), ANY low carb recipe can be modified. Just look for low carb recipes and think it out.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite diet! I would share my recipes, but they are all mine!
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    yeah, sounds a bit ridiculous. You won't have any energy whatsoever, especially if you're hitting the gym. If that's not a problem then good luck with the diet, let me know how it goes :)
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    yup, even veg has carbs
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • sarahstumpff
    sarahstumpff Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    usually when someon is referring to a no carb diet, they are cutting our pasta bread rice etc... i believe this is the case here. Veggies and Fruit are great however they are not complex carbs... theyre good carbs.

Id check out some healthy recipes in south beach phase one. stir frys are great way for this kind of things, loads of veggies, little bit of chicken or tuna maybe even sprinkle in a small handful of peanuts.
    good luck
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I am revisiting the Prism weight loss diet. Basically no carbs for six weeks along with low calorie eating. I m not sure where to find a good resource for recipies cause the plan recipie book is extra. Any suggestions?

Worst idea ever.

Research "ketosis" and what it can do to you. The body needs carbs, and 6 weeks is far too long to go without them.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad carbs".

For freaks sake people just eat food in moderation and move yer legs a bit.

Or put yourselves through unnecessary misery and confusion, see if I care. ;)
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think I would pass out if I ate zero carbs...LOL.

You are in the right place here at MFP to keep you on a daily path...and it's free. But it's up to you to make healthy choices, maintain a balanced diet, have some type of exercise & log everything!!

We use sparksrecipes for low carb recipes & we try a few each week & a lot of repeats.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to the internet?
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just looked this up, having never heard of Prism diet. It's low carb, not zero carb, a blend of Atkins and Sugar busters with added Christian spirituality. In fact, it lets you eat fruit which wasn't allowed on Atkins as I recollect.
    Not my sort of diet at all, I'm afraid.
    I'm sure if you followed it you'd lose weight but then you'd also lose weight if you weigh and log your food, exercise and keep to a 500 calorie daily deficit and then you wouldn't have to give up pasta (oops, I'm talking about me again!) :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    usually when someon is referring to a no carb diet, they are cutting our pasta bread rice etc... i believe this is the case here. Veggies and Fruit are great however they are not complex carbs... theyre good carbs.

Id check out some healthy recipes in south beach phase one. stir frys are great way for this kind of things, loads of veggies, little bit of chicken or tuna maybe even sprinkle in a small handful of peanuts.
    good luck
    Last I heard vegetables (green ones anyway) were complex carbs.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Worst idea ever.

Research "ketosis" and what it can do to you. The body needs carbs, and 6 weeks is far too long to go without them.

I've heard of worse ideas, I guarantee it :)

Low/no carb is usually an unnecessary approach, but let's not demonize ketosis. I'm sure many people could come out of the woodwork and say they've safely navigated it. It's probably more of a concern if you are type 1 diabetic. At any rate, 6 weeks without carbs or with low carbs probably doesn't spell disaster.

Your body doesn't necessarily need carbs from the diet because it can create them from fat and protein, and the catch during ketosis is that a lot of energy is provided from the ketone bodies, reducing the need to replenish glucose by converting protein and fat. Ketosis is a very handy survival tool. And personally, I'd rather keep it as a survival tool instead of a lifestyle, because I like carbs and have no reason to cut them.

I understand things can go wrong, and it can turn into ketoacidosis, which is definitely a very bad thing... but not the same thing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just read the synopsis of the Prism diet and as others have alluded to, it's not "no carb". Not by a long shot. It's kinda atkins meets sugar busters meets south beach. It's much more restrictive than south beach, but the emphasis on eating real food is the reason I mentioned it.

It's not a horrible unhealthy way to go about things as best I can see. You won't get a lot of cheers from most users here, because folks here, as a general rule, use the myfitnesspal approach of counting calories, and many are fans of "iffym". If you feel like you need more structure, go for it. I personally wouldn't choose this one, if I wanted a structured diet (I would choose south beach), but it doesn't look terrible.

If you do choose it, when you get to the real diet (It appears to have a restrictive first phase like many diets do, and I also don't think that's a bad thing), think to yourself: am I ready to basically eat this way forever? If their final phase truly looks like something you can do "forever" then go for it.
    (again, why I know I could do south beach, their phase three IS basically how I eat.)

Best of luck with whatever you path YOU choose.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad carbs".

For freaks sake people just eat food in moderation and move yer legs a bit.

Or put yourselves through unnecessary misery and confusion, see if I care. ;)

^ This!
  • KindredSouls
    KindredSouls Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    castanza-walkout-o.gif