Non Vegetable Eater

Options
Hi, I'm 30 years old and have never ate vegetables, pathetic i know! i just cant bring myself to eat them, I have only just started eating fish. I do enjoy eating fruit but dont eat anywhere near enough.
Anyway I have started doing the Focus T25 workout and have been looking at my diet etc. basically is there any supplements/multi-vitamins I can start taking to make up for the fact i dont eat veg?

Replies

• kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend supplements but you could take a daily multivitamin.

I hate veggies too, but have been slowly forcing myself to consume them more often and eventually I've found some that are pretty tolerable. I think my taste buds have changed as I try new things.

I personally love salads, spinach, and sauteed frozen stir fry veggie mix with olive oil.

And I'm pretty sure everyone is going to recommend making slow changes to your diet. Supplements are not the best route - sometimes your body just doesnt absorb supplemented things the way it would if it were digesting food. Having those vitamins and minerals in your actual diet is by far the best route. But its difficult to make tons of changes when you have been eating a certain way your whole life. Trust me - i was a fast food addict. Never touched a vegetable except for the rare occasion. Its taken me about a year to slowly turn my diet into something I can consider pretty healthy.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Is there any supplements/multi-vitamins I can start taking to make up for the fact i dont eat veg?

Are you not getting enough of something?

Maybe get some blood work done to see if there is any actual problem?

Otherwise, I know some people who take "green food supplements" - maybe that would appeal to you?

You might also experiment a bit and try preparing vegetables differently? I dislike most veggies cooked, but I like most veggies raw.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different ways of cooking them and different veggies...I pretty much have to have my veggies roasted or sauteed in olive oil. I can tolerate steamed broccoli, but that's about it...everything else needs olive oil, garlic, and S&P...other seasonings don't hurt either.

A multi vitamin is probably a good idea if you're not eating veg, but really...learning to eat veg would be your best option.
  • tierney83
    Options
    Thanks both for the advice...

Its not so much a case of any problems (well not yet) it occurred to me i probably cant go on not getting some sort of vegetable intake past the age of 30, to be honest i know i should just man up and eat veg lol my 6 year old lad eats better than me.

I think i will look at different ways of prepping veg, the only way i've ever tried to eat it is cooked and usually soggy. In the meantime i will look at taking a multi-vitamin.

Thanks again
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy veg but often find a veg curry rings the changes and tastes good :-)
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way until I started dating my boyfriend. He's big on the veggies with every meal, and would try and goad me into eating them. Eventually I gave in, and now I'm hooked. I hate the texture of most vegetables, so I've been experimenting a little. My personal favourite is broccoli baked with garlic, fresh cracked black pepper and olive oil. It's crunchy and delicious! I would suggest just playing around with different cooking techniques and different veggies, eventually you'll find a couple that you enjoy (or at least tolerate). Good luck!
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My husband used to have this same problem, the only vegetable he would even try to eat EVER was potatoes and some beans but not many other than that he would never touch any of them, but now after he continued over and over to try to like them, including trying them all different ways, he LOVES them and asks for them with our meals all the time.

Just try them and don't quit, try them over and over and chances are, you will find at least a few that you will like
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Time to pull up the big boy pants and find some veggies you enjoy.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How is this possible? I mean, you don't like them cooked or raw, with dressing or cheese, herbed up or spiced? Nadda? IDK. Eat them anyway? You could do something like a greens powder mix, and do shots of that I guess. But you won't like it any better. Tastes like a fresh mowed lawn. lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Try many vegetables, cooked many different ways... and raw ones too. Keep trying them .....you will learn to like some of them, eventually.

There are big differences in texture .....fresh & raw, VS. fresh & cooked, VS. frozen & cooked. Some textures may be a complete turn off....other textures will be fine.

Example (to me) canned carrots are absolutely disgusting....frozen carrots are so-so. BUT fresh cooked carrots: stir fried or roasted are yummy.

Some veggies freeze well....other don't. Veggies are generally low fat, low calorie & high fiber....maintaining a weight loss without this valuable "weapon"...makes it harder still.
  • tierney83
    Options
    I'm a very fussy eater, i think its more to do with the texture, i'm the same with cooked mushrooms and onions, never tried them buy couldn't imagine eating them. It's ridiculous that the only veg i have tried is peas and carrots!
    I think investing in a blender and drinking them as quick as possible may be the best answer.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Thanks both for the advice...

Its not so much a case of any problems (well not yet) it occurred to me i probably cant go on not getting some sort of vegetable intake past the age of 30, to be honest i know i should just man up and eat veg lol my 6 year old lad eats better than me.

I think i will look at different ways of prepping veg, the only way i've ever tried to eat it is cooked and usually soggy. In the meantime i will look at taking a multi-vitamin.

Thanks again

Soggy! (lightbulb) .....it's a texture thing for you.

Steam (fresh) green beans ...think al dente (like pasta) so you don't over cook these. Grean beans have such a mild flavor, you should be able to get used to these.

Many veggies are excellent roasted in the oven. Toss some cauliflower (again mild flavor) with some olive oil & garlic. Roast in the oven.

Grilled veggies will not be (shouldn't be) soggy either. Asparagus and peppers (red & yellow are more mild) are good.

As a last resort.....add carrot shreds to pasta sauce. You can "sneak" veggies in without ruining the flavor.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised how much your "taste" can change. I used to "hate" olives.... they were too salty and too "something"....I just did not care for them. Now, I love them! I don't know what changed or happened, but I do. Love green olives even without the Martini.... so give veggies a try.... you may just discover that you are a veggie eater after all.....
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I'm a very fussy eater, i think its more to do with the texture, i'm the same with cooked mushrooms and onions, never tried them buy couldn't imagine eating them. It's ridiculous that the only veg i have tried is peas and carrots!
    I think investing in a blender and drinking them as quick as possible may be the best answer.

Mushrooms (I love) but MANY people do not like these. Start with something more "universal."

Onions have a very strong flavor. I use onions in cooked dishes (alway cut way back on the quantity) ....but raw onions...Blech! Again start with something that is not so strong flavored.

Drinking spinach in a smoothie is a great way to add fiber and nutrients....put enough fruit in....you won't even taste it. But if you really try veggies cooked different ways. There will be something that you like.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a juicer and make all kinds veggie concoctions. Adding things like apples, carrots, lemons/limes, or even fresh ginger helps to lift/balance the taste in certain leafy mixes. Or you could close you nose and just down it.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I eat canned green beans..and only canned green beans. I seriously hate all vegetables, like you'd think they did something awful to me. I have tied bites here and there as an adult....yep still don't like them.
    You might try the cook book deceptively delicious, I use it on my children...basically mixing cauliflower with potatoes and that type of thing. you make vegetable purees. I am going to start doing it for myself as it will make servings of mashed potatoes go farther.

Also--the top of broccoli when it is super mushy and in small portions, like really small is tolerable. But I won't even eat lettuce..so i hear ya!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Is liver or other organ meats out of the question? It's packed with nutrition.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    what about buying one of those cook books designed for moms who are trying to sneak veggies into their kids diets?

You may be able to sneak veggies in without having veggies.

Spinach smoothies made with almond milk, Greek yogurt, frozen berries, 1/2 banana and a handful of spinach look not so hot but taste like a banana berry shake you can't even taste the spinach.