oatmeal

Options
I need quick a breakfast. I've been eating scrambled eggs and a piece of toast because it takes like 5 minutes to cook. I'd like to eat oatmeal and I do use the plain, instant, no sugar packs as a mid-morning snack but I know there are more health benefits to the slow cooked kind. Can you make it ahead of time? I don't like oatmeal when it gets the thick pasty texture.

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I know your probably after the healthy oatmeal but when im in a rush i use oats-so-simple. its a sachet you mix with 180ml of milk and microwave for two mins. Not bad when your in a rush however I am not too sure on the protein and sodium levels in it etc. To be honest I rarely check that sorta stuff. Its 216 cals though and its very filling.
  • cthomas1967
    Options
    I eat standard Quaker Oats (in the cardboard tube-looking container) almost every morning. Put 1/2 cup in a mug, pour in boiling water, stir for a bit and then eat. They're wonderful and super-fast.
  • kjub175
    kjub175 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can make oatmeal ahead but I would recommend the steel cut or irish oatmeal if you are going to do that. It is even healthier for you. If you do not like the sticky texture it can take on after it's reheated then just add a little more hot water. Cinnamon is a nice, no sweetener way to "spice" up the morning blahs too.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I love the oats so simple microwave one too. It has a little soya lecithin added to stop it bubbling over quite so much in the microwave, but apart from that its exactly the same as the standard oats.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Proper porridge only takes 6-7 mins - 50g whole rolled oats - steel cut if you can get them - 300 Ml water bring to boil and simmer slowly for 6 mins - stirring - even beating a bit from time to time - I add half a teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix and then half a mashed banana, a little honey and some fat free yoghurt after its cooked. Great start to the day - the cinnamon is reputed to boost the metabolism though I haven't checked the science behind that claim. If it comes out too think just beat in some more boiling water.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I make 1/2 a cup of oatmeal, but for a snack. I like big breakfasts. But, I use half a cup of quick oatmeal and then a tbsp of sugar-free maple syrup. A dash of cinnamon sugar and I will put half an apple in it. I eat the other half of the side 'cus there's a lot of pieces.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I always soak oats over night and then cook them in the morning.

I make them for my son *Im not a huge fan* and I put a spoon of honey and enough water on them to cover them and leave them over night to soak, and then I add milk in the morning and cook them.

My exMIL puts dried fruit in hers.

My exHusband uses steel cut oats, which are better to be soaked over night, otherwise they are hard as all buggery to eat if you cook them at the last minute.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    old fashioned oats and steel cut oats are great in the microwave, but if you don't have one available have you ever thought of a thermos food jar? That would keep it hot and if it gets a little thick you could thin it out w/ a little hot water!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is the 'Weight Control' Quaker oatmeal packets (maple and brown sugar is my fav). It has added fiber and protein. I make it with water and add half a cup of blue berries and sprinkle some cinnamon on top of that. Zap it in the microwave for 1 minute and have a meal that tastes like a yummy blue berry muffin with lots of anti-oxidants, protein, fiber, and most important taste all for less than 200 calories!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My dad (who has lost 71# so far) went to a nutritionist and they said the "old-fashioned" oats are the best for you. (I was eating the quick cook oats).
    I make them every morning. Takes like 5 min....not really that long.
    I add 1/8-1/4 Cup raisins (or dried mixed berries yum) and 1 TBS of honey!! Delicious and really keeps you filled up! And i believe that is what helped me lower my triglycerides from 220 to 155 in 3 months!!!! Bye bye cholesterol medicine! :tongue:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Can anyone shed some light onto "better for you" I eat the instant Quaker oaks packets (original) for breakfast at my desk every morning.

Have you ever considered making the old fashioned oatmeal and freezing it? My co-worker has frozen oatmeal from Trader Joe's and he says it is really good.
  • lisa451999
    Options
    I love this recipe from Clean Eating. I use 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1 tsp of all-natural peanut butter, 1 tsp of honey. Put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir then cook for another minute. Delicious!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I make 1/2 a cup of oatmeal, but for a snack. I like big breakfasts. But, I use half a cup of quick oatmeal and then a tbsp of sugar-free maple syrup. A dash of cinnamon sugar and I will put half an apple in it. I eat the other half of the side 'cus there's a lot of pieces.

Sugar-free Maple Syrup?! I gotta get me some of that!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning. If you don't like it thick and pasty, then make sure to add more liquid (water or milk, depending on how you make it). Try 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal and 1 cup of liquid. Cook in microwave for 1 minute, stir, then another minute (watch so it doesn't bubble over), and then maybe a little longer depending on how you like it. You can make steel cut oats ahead of time and then add more milk to it to thin it down when you reheat it.

I add all kinds of things to my oatmeal.

Today I added 1/2 cup of solid pumpkin, 1/2 scoop of chocolate Shakeology (you could use protein powder), 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and 1 T. Natural PB (could use walnuts or other nuts). Very filling and has your carb, protein, and fat to keep you full for a while. :bigsmile:

You can also try adding whatever type of fruit you like (banana, chopped apple or peach), yogurt (I use cottage cheese, makes it creamier and adds protein). Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice are great to use too!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot on Sunday and reheat individual amounts each morning in the microwave. 1 cup of dry steel cuts, 4 cups water, 1 tsp salt. Oven @ 325. Cook for 1 or 2 hours until water absorbed....I stir every now and then to make sure its not sticking to the bottom.

In the am when I reheat I add a shake of cinnamon, 1/2 a TB of butter and 1 TB Raw Honey nmmmmmmmmmmmm

This is a fun food blog, Kath eats oats every morning, she also has a tab on the site called Tribute To Oats: http://www.katheats.com/

have fun, eat OATS, they are so good for you, happy eating
    JoJo
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Sugar-free Maple Syrup?! I gotta get me some of that!

I was surprised myself. LOL! but yeah, sugar-free!!! I saw it at Walmart when I went to just see if there was any and there it was!! Low in calories too!
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    I have a miniature slow-cooker, so I just throw steel-cuts oats in that baby before I go to bed.
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    Can anyone shed some light onto "better for you"

Steel-cut oats have a lower glycemic index. That is, they digest slower, so the starches don't enter your system all at once and the resulting blood-sugar spike is reduced. Choosing low glycemic index foods -- the ones that produce only small fluctuations in our blood glucose and insulin levels -- is the secret to long-term health, reducing your risk of heart disease and diabetes, and can be the key to sustainable weight loss.

Cinnamon has also been indicated as something that can help reduce the glycemic index of foods.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I have a miniature slow-cooker, so I just throw steel-cuts oats in that baby before I go to bed.

Can you tell your ratios? I like the idea of doing this and just scooping it into a thermos and eating it at work. I have been keeping the instant oatmeal at work for a while now because it is easy. However, I have been wanting to move to steel cut oats, except for the time it takes to cook them. Putting them in the crock overnight would be perfect.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    For the steel cut oats you can also follow the instructions on the package... except.... bring it to a boil on the stove, remove it from the heat, cover and let sit overnight. If needed you can re heat in the morning on the stove or put them in a covered bowl in the fridge for the rest of the week.

I am one of the strange people that like their oatmeal chewy....very chewy. I cut the amount of water in half. Regular old fashioned oats I mix 1/2 c oats and 1/2c water, 1 teaspoon slpenda 4-5 shakes of cinn and a shake of nutmeg then microwave for 110 seconds. Then I add 1/2 pat of butter and mix it in. I grab a couple boiled eggs and that is breakfast. No milk. Just can't stand warm milk.