Calling all Chicago runners!

Options
I'll be in Chicago from December 6th to the 15th this winter. As a Floridian with no thermal running gear (I don't even own a coat), I'm not sure I will be able to handle running outside in the cold, but I can't bring myself to take two weeks off of running. So I'm wondering how you guys make it through the winters, and what you would suggest I do while I'm there.

I'm wondering if it's allowed/practical to run in the pedway? because i feel as though that would solve a lot of problems.
If you know of an indoor track, let me know.
AND if you think I should just suck it up and run outside, could you give me tips on what to wear and how to stay warm? My ears and hands tend to get really really cold.

Thank you!

Replies

• purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you are refering to the pedway at Illinois Center (I work there) or around City Hall, I would't advise running in there, too crowded with pedestrians going about their business. Most of the hotels here have fitness rooms with treadmills. It would be a shame though not to experience running along the lake while you are here. This is what you will need:
    1. Get some gloves, you can buy some cheap ones at Walgreens or CVS. They have some cool running gloves at Costco for about $19, but don't know if you want to make that investment.
    2. Wear layers (long johns or tights under your running pants, long sleeve turtleneck under sweat shirt or jacket)
    3. Cap to cover you ears. Don't forget to stuff some tissue in your pocket in case your nose starts running, and it will if the temp is under 32 degrees. (so annoying)
    4. Pay attention to your surroundings.

If it is above 30 degrees, you'll probbaly start to warm up within the first 5 - 10 minutes of running. If the temps are in the 20's it may take about 10 minutes or more. 20 or below? Hotel treadmill for sure. Also take into account this lovely thing we have here called "windchill". That is what the temp will feel like on your skin so go by that temp.

I hope you get a chance to run outside and enjoy the sights. Chicago is a lovely running city.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you are refering to the pedway at Illinois Center (I work there) or around City Hall, I would't advise running in there, too crowded with pedestrians going about their business. Most of the hotels here have fitness rooms with treadmills. It would be a shame though not to experience running along the lake while you are here. This is what you will need:
    1. Get some gloves, you can buy some cheap ones at Walgreens or CVS. They have some cool running gloves at Costco for about $19, but don't know if you want to make that investment.
    2. Wear layers (long johns or tights under your running pants, long sleeve turtleneck under sweat shirt or jacket)
    3. Cap to cover you ears. Don't forget to stuff some tissue in your pocket in case your nose starts running, and it will if the temp is under 32 degrees. (so annoying)
    4. Pay attention to your surroundings.

If it is above 30 degrees, you'll probbaly start to warm up within the first 5 - 10 minutes of running. If the temps are in the 20's it may take about 10 minutes or more. 20 or below? Hotel treadmill for sure. Also take into account this lovely thing we have here called "windchill". That is what the temp will feel like on your skin so go by that temp.

I hope you get a chance to run outside and enjoy the sights. Chicago is a lovely running city.

thanks for the tips! I guess I'll try to face the cold outside :) I'll try to find some cheap, warm clothes. Here, you can run in shorts and a t-shirt every month except February, so my supplies are severely lacking. But worst case I'll just brave the treadmill!
  • teateatea23
    teateatea23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    a lot of gyms also have week long or two week long guest passes if the hotel doesnt work out!