Thanksgiving nerves!

Options
I'm so nervous about thanksgiving. I'm only a week or so into this and I feel like any mistakes could send me flying back into the binging ways of my "past". (a week ago that is). I don't trust myself to be around so much food. I'm so excited for thanksgiving to see my family and to have fun but the food part is stressing me out. I think I will eat as well behaved as i can for the week prior and just work out that morning and have my shakeology. I'm not sure how to go about it and not binge on food.

Replies

• fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Oh I hear you! Every time I'm in a store and see pecan pie or bags of stuffing, I start to get nervous. I had a very small serving of cranberry sauce with lunch last week, and it was half my sugar for the day. I've been doing MFP for exactly a month today, and it has taught me that planning ahead is everything.

I do love the tradition of the Thanksgiving walk before dinner. I've been on three-hour hikes a couple of years with friends in Maine. After dinner we played musical instruments, sang, and danced. At another friend's house, we always played games after dinner that encouraged moving around, like "Simon Says". When I was younger, some of us would go out dancing on and after Thanksgiving.

A good breakfast of oatmeal sweetened with stevia and a boiled egg keep me going for awhile. Fill up on lots of raw veggie appetizers. My favorite dip is salsa mixed with lite whipped cream cheese, but I only use it on the veggies I don't really like. Drinking lots of water goes without saying.

By getting plenty of exercise, healthy fluids and foods, I feel safe to have tiny amounts of the foods I know will tip the scales, so I don't feel deprived. This year, I have the added burden of Hanukkah, with all its fried potatoes and donuts for eight whole days and nights. Everything I said about Thanksgiving applies. For a whole week and a day...
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'm British so can only comment on Christmas, but one day ain't going to scupper you unless you let it. Enjoy your traditional foods without gorging, then get straight back onto it.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    eat-all-the-food.jpg
  • jerney623
    jerney623 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying and feel the same way. I have been having internal conversations about this issue for the last few weeks. What I am reminding myself is that we will falter and it is not the end of the world or the end of your journey. I am new to MFP and was three weeks in, doing great staying within my calories and then I was invited to a girls weekend up north (eating and drinking unlimited). I did the best I could to log what I had taken in that weekend, but I was just guesstimating and for the two days I had eaten over 3000 calories over my goal. I made a commitment to get back on track that next week and I got back into the healthy groove. I haven't lost too much, but this experience is more about a lifestyle change to motivate me to exercise more and make better choices overall. I wish you luck and remember just try your best, don't let a day (or two) of extra calories ruin your goals, and remember this is a lifestyle change for the rest of your life. :wink:
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a few months now, but it makes me nervous a bit too. I'm giving myself thanksgiving off (logging as much as is feasible but not worrying about the numbers), and I'm using my nerves as encouragement to get in some extra exercise. Also, I remind myself that a holiday is just that--it'll be great to have some pie and not stress about it, but having all the pie I WANT is not the same as having all the pie I can cram into my stomach. It's enjoying the taste, eating slowly, and stopping when I'm done.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You could do little tricks, like eat a decent serving of your favorites, then brush your teeth, chew gum and keep drinking water until you leave :)

Or my mom is letting me come up with healthier recipes of our favorites...though certain items they are going to make the usual version & my version because not everyone wants to give up their favorites...it's just one day they say...
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I think my goal will just be to have tiny servings of everything I want and eat slowly and listen to my body and know that if I want more (and I'm full) to just wait till tomorrow.
    The dessert is going to be the worst too. I wasn't even thinking about that. I will just have tiny pieces of pie and just savor it! Ill eat it so slow that i will be done when everyone else is haha. I won't deprive myself but I will try not to sicken myself. I'm mostly just worried about binging. I've had issues my whole life with that and I feel like if I binge once I will back track into that habbit.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track. I hope we all enjoy the holidays and all the days after that!
  • juleneknaff
    juleneknaff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am one week into mfp today and i am also nervous about TG. however my plan allows for one skip day a week so i didn't take one this week and plan for my first one to be on TG and just try to contain myself and remind myself that going over a little on a skip day and going crazy on a skip day a very different. good luck to everyone who aren't feeling so thankful about the looming holiday season.
    and heres a tip that may help.... a cup of ice cold water numbs the stomach so you dont feel hungry and also helps you hit your daily needed water amount and if you drink it quickly in the morning it can help jump start your metabolism for the day
  • rhbabilon
    rhbabilon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been doing MFP for almost 3 months now. I, too, am feeling the pinch of the Holidays, and they haven't even gotten here yet. I like the idea of taking a walk before the "feasting" commences. Thank y'all for the awesome ideas. Happy Thanksgiving!!
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You could do little tricks, like eat a decent serving of your favorites, then brush your teeth, chew gum and keep drinking water until you leave :)

Or my mom is letting me come up with healthier recipes of our favorites...though certain items they are going to make the usual version & my version because not everyone wants to give up their favorites...it's just one day they say...

SUCH A GOOD IDEA!!! i forget about this!! thanks!