Paralysis-->Losing 100 pounds --> Marathon!!! (pics)

Options
joyzy
joyzy Posts: 97 Member
Less than three years ago, this was me:

December 2010. 270+ pounds. Mom of three kids ages 4 and under. Age 30. Height 5'8"
0489783B-9BE1-4FDC-9265-26F8C5C8EC28-742-000000641AB10AAD_zpse49a2d74.jpg

Six months after this photo was taken, in June 2011, I had a herniated disc rupture into my spine, due to being significantly overweight. I had emergency surgery: laminectomy, discectomy and decompression of the spinal cord. The injury left me paralyzed from the waist down. I spent about a month in the hospital, working daily with therapists to regain strength as I regained sensation in my legs.

I was released home with a walker. After another 2 months at home, in order to prevent the injury from recurring, I decided to get healthy. I started using MFP to watch what I ate, about 1600 calories a day, and I began very slow daily exercise. The first day I walked around my block with a cane. Really really really slowly. I kept it up every day and added in more speed or distance as my body could tolerate it.

Most of the sensation slowly came back into my legs over the next 5 months. Right now, I can still not feel down the back of my right leg, nor the bottom of my right foot, and three of the toes.

My daily walks turned into walk/run intervals, and then just straight up jogging or running. By February 2012, I had signed up for my first 5k race.

Within one year, I had lost over 100 pounds. And then I managed to maintain it for another year by exercising.

6bb4dc5c-88b7-4856-ae26-150d3d798352_zps87e63a63.jpg

In April 2013, I ran my first half marathon and finished in 2:24:59. I am not fast at all, but I am consistent. In July I began training for my first full marathon, the Philly Marathon which is held in November. As part of my training, in September 2013, I ran another half marathon, this time finishing in 2:19:02.

The marathon training runs went up to 22.8 miles at our longest run. I trained the long runs with my best friend from college, and we ran the race side by side yesterday. It was the first full marathon that either of us had done.

We ran the Philadelphia Marathon, yesterday, November 17, 2013.

We ran by my mom at miles 1 and 5.
928D0E6F-D7A0-4F79-9FFF-018E3351D82F-1748-00000181364C6CFD_zpsb6d7db41.jpg

One of the most memorable parts was running by Jefferson University Hospital I think around mile 6. That is the hospital where I had my emergency surgery just 29 months before. It was truly amazing to me to be running by in a marathon.

The first 14 miles were a breeze considering how much we trained. This distance was not that much of a challenge anymore. We only stopped once for the bathroom, and that was at mile 14 where there was no line, we just ran into the porta-potties and were out again in 30 seconds. Miles 17-19 hurt a little.

We ran by the third of our trio of our best friends (she is 6 months pregnant!) at mile 20. It was just lovely to see a friendly face that far into the race. She screamed and jumped up and down and stepped out and we ran up and hugged her and kept running.
425BCD12-E34B-41F8-90A5-BFD648BA194E-742-00000063BBEEFE35_zpsa4e2ca5b.jpg

I felt rejuvenated from 20-24. Got a side stitch at mile 24, walked for only about 90 seconds, and then ran to the end. So aside from a handful of water stops, and that little bit at mile 24, we ran the entire thing!!!

At mile 26, our husbands and daughters were on the side, cheering and yelling for us. My legs were completely on auto-pilot at that point. I started to tear up knowing that we were actually going to finish this. After we crossed the finish like we cried and hugged each other. Then we met up with our families and I started crying again, all happy happy tears.

It was INCREDIBLE.

We had a few goals in mind before we started. In order of importance:
1. To race with no significant injury.
2. To finish the entire 26.2 miles.
3. To run or jog the whole thing.
4. To finish in under 5 hours.

We got pretty close, with a finishing time of 5:07:30. That's an 11:43 pace over 26.2 miles.

Here I am with my family at the end.
A237416C-7F70-4481-B5F6-9C5A468E2E16-742-00000063FEF9D1FD_zps0a96d443.jpg

Last night I laid in bed with my sore legs and blistered feet and chafed right armpit (wth is that about? lol) and I just laid there and enjoyed the pain. Knowing that I can FEEL the soreness, and that it's from an accomplishment like running a marathon, well, I was just overjoyed that I was able to feel it at all. I'm really really lucky.

I currently work part time at the YMCA, leading the running club twice a week, and once a week I teach a beginner class called "Moving with Joy" for beginner runners/walkers, with the end goal of training for a 5k race in 9 weeks. The programs are going SO well. I'm very grateful to have a job that I simply adore. I also volunteer twice a week for the elementary school boys running club. They're also preparing for a 5k race which is next month.

And with all that being said, I'm here to tell you don't set any limits on your goals. I was the kid who was always DEAD LAST doing the mile run in gym class in high school. I couldn't even run a quarter mile lap around the track without stopping because I couldn't catch my breath. And yesterday I finished a marathon. I came in number 9,164/10,876 overall. 3,883/4,882 for all females, and 692/883 for my age group. NOT last, and I did not get carried off on a stretcher.

So, set small goals, do it one step at a time. Don't give up, and NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading!!
Joy

Replies

• rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Amazing, you inspire me daily! Well done!
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow... what a story! You are such an inspiration! :happy:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    AMAZING story and a big CONGRATULATIONS on your first 26.2 :flowerforyou:

I hope you're wearing that medal everywhere you go this week! After I finished my first marathon in January, I wore the medal to work for a week LOL
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You are amazing; i almost started crying reading your story; Congratulations on running the marathon. You look wonderful and most of all, you look happy. Believe me, no matter how many races you run, you will never forget that first marathon
  • azavala78
    azavala78 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got happy tears reading your fantastic story - CONGRATULATIONS! You are inspiring!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    wow. amazing work. congrats
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    So fabulous! Love your story! You inspire me!

-A fellow runner on week 3 of C25k

:drinker:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I looked up "bada$$" in my dictionary and it had a pic of you running a marathon there.
  • BennettV72
    Options
    I teared up reading this. What an incredible inspiration you are! Congratulations on your phenomenal transformation.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!!! Congrats!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Truly amazing! Congrats! :)
  • randysbombshellgirl
    Options
    You rock! Thanks for sharing your story very inspiring
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring!!! Congrats!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing and inspiring story!! Congrats on all your hard work paying off and thanks for being such a great inspiration!! :smile:
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Very motivational and inspirational! Congrats on your weight loss..and congrats on fighting to get there! Thank you for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • dukanukem
    Options
    Wow what a fighter you are and what an inspiration!!! Congratulations on your awesome accomplishment :)
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    This is a truly awesome and inspirational story! I too teared up a bit reading this; you are incredible, not just in your accomplishments but also in your positive and awesome outlook on things!

Thank you for sharing!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You made me cry. You are so inspirational! You look amazing! Congratulations and thank-you so much for posting your story.

:flowerforyou:
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are a true inspiration! You look wonderful and are wonderful!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!