Inner Thighs

Options
I've been working out since Oct 1 and have lost 20 lb now. I've been in the gym doing strength training and also cardio. I've also been 5k training. I can definitely see a difference in my calves. My question is; my inner thighs have always touched and been really soft and not fit at all. What can I do to get them slimmed down and firmed up? They don't look any different than day 1. I'm so frustrated.

I weigh 179 right now if that is needed.

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    squats
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Keep training and reduce all over body fat.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    First off, let me say that most women's inner thighs touch. This is VERY NORMAL! You have to be super skinny and/or built a certain way for them to not touch...so I wouldn't worry about it too much. That being said, everyone is built differently and have areas that are the last to go. Perhaps the inner thigh area is that problem spot for you. Just keep working out and eating right and as you loose body fat, you will start to see improvement.

I can recommend one move that really works that area if you want to exercise those muscles...but this is not going to magically make the fat in that area disappear...you can't really do "spot reductions."

Try sumo squats (also called plie' squats.) They really work the muscles on the inner thighs. And if you want to really feel the burn, add a little jump at the top of your squat, just be sure to land lightly on your feet so you don't injure your knees.

Edited to add video links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHEjWigk4_U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwTvpc28JIE
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    YES/NO machine.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Reduce body fat, build muscle. Strength training with either body weight or added weight is also what will slim and firm up your thighs. And use measurements to guide your progress, not weight. Your mind might still be stuck on you "before" and not "during" your weight loss. Pictures are also great reference.

edit: I've also lost 20lbs+ and so far my thighs have only changed less than 2 inches. Like lower belly fat, my body would much rather hold on to it until the very end. So don't get discouraged, just keep working at it! My thighs might not have changed much, but my waist, muffin top, and chest have! Focus on the overall pictures rather than each individual feature. Baking powder tastes awful on its own, but you need it to make a tasty cake! :flowerforyou:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce, just keep at it and it will go away in time. :)
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you cannot do anything specific to take fat cells off a specific area of the body (through diet or exercise). Your body takes it off where it wants to take it off.

Fortunately, as you lose fat cells, your body will eventually get there and start using those stores for energy. (FYI - typically, fat cells return in the reverse order from where they came off - last off, first back on.)

You can strengthen the underlying muscles there, in order to firm things up some, but until your body processes fat stores from there, a layer of fat will remain. I'm sure there are some good folks here who can recommend good exercises for strengthening thighs.

From your ticker, it looks like you have a way to go to reach your goal, so don't lose hope. Be patient. 19 lbs is a great achievement! 40 more will make a huge difference! Keep up the good work!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I thought thighs were supposed to be soft.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I expected pics. Totes sad.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This.

Also realize that your thighs may always touch. Whether or not they touch is largely genetic.
  • mamaj2ht
    mamaj2ht Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will heed all of that advice!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    easy there tiger. you've been working out for a month and a half and you still have 40+ pounds to get to goal weight. let's just stay on course for a bit longer before we try to figure out how to change specific body parts
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This.

Also realize that your thighs may always touch. Whether or not they touch is largely genetic.

^^yep
  • hollyanne572
    hollyanne572 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lots have people have said squats, however even when I was a complete gym junkie and did omg amounts of squats, I always had issues with my inner thighs. I only really started to lose that inner thigh fat when I started running.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    walking a lot and calorie deficit slimmed mine :flowerforyou:
  • hollyanne572
    Options
    easy there tiger. you've been working out for a month and a half and you still have 40+ pounds to get to goal weight. let's just stay on course for a bit longer before we try to figure out how to change specific body parts

That is so completely and utterly rude, did it not occur to you that people may have been around for longer than you think? Not everyone has been overweight all of their lives.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    YES/NO machine.

I am so calling it that from now on.

First, congrats on the awesome loss! That's huge! It took me MONTHS to lose that much. As for your legs, just keep at it. Squats, lunges, planks, Leg Press, YES/NO Machine will help along the way, but you really just need to keep training to reduce your BF% and they'll firm up.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

That is so completely and utterly rude, did it not occur to you that people may have been around for longer than you think? Not everyone has been overweight all of their lives.

He wasn't being rude. He was just telling the OP to slow down and to not have unrealistic expectations.
  • hollyanne572
    Options

He wasn't being rude. He was just telling the OP to slow down and to not have unrealistic expectations.

There's nothing unrealistic about asking how to firm up inner thighs...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I expected pics. Totes sad.

cheer up!

10861448183_785538b1a7.jpg
    #yesisquat # musclemama by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

and just for the record, my inner thighs are soft. and they touch.