Hit a weight Loss wall :(

Options
Hi, started taking my diet seriously around January this year and have lost around 22lbs. Recently i have stopped losing any weight...for about 4 weeks now been going from around 199 lbs to 202 lbs. I'm not sure what i am doing wrong :( If anything I've been trying harder by going to the gym more, going easy on carbs and cutting down on processed food and the weight just stays the same. I'd appreciate some advice on what i am doing wrong if anyone has any :)

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary would help get a better understanding. Typically, it falls down to logging accuracy. Weigh and measure your food? Logging every little thing? Also, what method are you using to calculate calorie intake?
  • IdsFknTaken
    Options
    Have you progressively reduced your calorie target to account for your lower body weight and calorie requirements?
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    had the same problem at the same weight last year...look into 16:8 intermittent fasting (leangains.com is a good place to start) or simply calorie cycling if I.F. is a little too extreme at first

oh, and you said you've been exercising more...i tried this too and found that i was creating too large a deficit overall, had to actually increase calories a little to see better weight loss
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hi, to be honest i don't usually log what i am eating. I will have to start doing that. Also i just count calories in my head nowadays as i've been doing it for so long. I just i try to eat around 1500 a day. Quite often though i won't use them all, which i know isn't good but would that be what is stalling my weight loss? thanks for the reply
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I have just lowered my body weight about 10 minutes ago, but i know by tomorrow night i will be back up to around 202 lbs :( thanks for the reply IdsFknTaken
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Have you manually updated your goals?

MFP does not adjust your calories for your new lower weight (congratulations!). So you are probably eating more than you need to for your new svelte size. Every time I hit a wall, that was why.

Go to goals. Put in your current weight and what you want to lose. See if your calories change.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have just lowered my body weight about 10 minutes ago, but i know by tomorrow night i will be back up to around 202 lbs :( thanks for the reply IdsFknTaken

Man, if you don't log, what's the point?
  • IdsFknTaken
    Options
    Hi, to be honest i don't usually log what i am eating.

There's your problem :)
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I didn't know it was that important dude. I do it every now and then but i will try and log it more often. It seems to have worked up untill now. Thanks for the reply
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    I just i try to eat around 1500 a day. Quite often though i won't use them all, which i know isn't good but would that be what is stalling my weight loss? thanks for the reply

if you are exercising and only eating 1500 cals you are most likely not getting near enough calories. unless you are 4' 10" thats way too few calories to even support your bmr. if your body doesnt get enough nutrition for toooo long it will react by holding on to every last bit.
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    longtimeterp, i actually figured out that yesterday i had around 200 calories left, and once i added my exercise i had around 600 left to use up. but i thought it was too late to use them. i will make sure that i use them all up from now on, i didn't have a clue that it made that much of a difference lol. Thanks for the advice :)
  • aawdclem
    Options
    I hit a wall a while back and tried doing what you are doing now, exercising more and etc. Couldn't figure out until I read that you have to eat more to make up the calories lost exercising. So what I do is log what exercise I will do for the day every morning so that I don't have to worry about forgetting it along the way and then it be too late at night to finish up your calories. I hope to see progess within the week. :) Hope this helps and good luck!
  • sandralo76
    Options
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    I hit a wall a while back and tried doing what you are doing now, exercising more and etc. Couldn't figure out until I read that you have to eat more to make up the calories lost exercising. So what I do is log what exercise I will do for the day every morning so that I don't have to worry about forgetting it along the way and then it be too late at night to finish up your calories . I hope to see progess within the week. :) Hope this helps and good luck!

too late to finish? this is a good read, no such thing as too late in my opinion...

http://broscience.com/broscience-com-approved-articles/889-dont-eat-carbs-after.html#post9824
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I hit a wall a while back and tried doing what you are doing now, exercising more and etc. Couldn't figure out until I read that you have to eat more to make up the calories lost exercising. So what I do is log what exercise I will do for the day every morning so that I don't have to worry about forgetting it along the way and then it be too late at night to finish up your calories. I hope to see progess within the week. :) Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you for the support and advice! hope you get the progress you want :)
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    too late to finish? this is a good read, no such thing as too late in my opinion...

http://broscience.com/broscience-com-approved-articles/889-dont-eat-carbs-after.html#post9824
    [/quote]

it was like 2:30am haha, could i still use them up at that time or does it count as the next day? lol it confuses me
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your portion sizes? Are you using a food scale?

I found that measuring cups and counting portions worked well for a while, but once I lost some weight the inaccuracies started to be enough to stall out my weight loss. If you don't already have one, a food scale is a good investment in your longterm weight management.
  • longtimeterp
    Options

it was like 2:30am haha, could i still use them up at that time or does it count as the next day? lol it confuses me

i consider everything pre-sleep as part of the energy expended for that day, as the body uses the time sleeping to put those calories into repairing and building the muscles damaged during the day's training...

the body doesn't have a clock that's like "midnight, new day, calories count towards tomorrow" that's what sleeping does!
  • longtimeterp
    Options

I found that measuring cups and counting portions worked well for a while, but once I lost some weight the inaccuracies started to be enough to stall out my weight loss. If you don't already have one, a food scale is a good investment in your longterm weight management.

yeah food scales are overrated, never used one and lost about 100 lbs total. labels are never super accutrate, and the time it saves isn't worth it. i always err on the side of overestimation anyways, and throw in a +50 quick add calories to account for any misestimations... in the long run 10 cals a day won't hurt, it would take a year for that to add up to a lb
  • DannehBoyy
    Options

I never really measure out portion sizes, but i am going to try and stick to doing it from now on. I have some kitchen scales which i use sometimes. Thanks for the advice :)