Atkins - Does it work? How much did you lose on Induction?

Options

Replies

• MeganMcBane
    MeganMcBane Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have done the Atkins a few years back and dropped 20 lbs in two months. I was so excited about it but quickly gained when I incorporated carbs back into my diet (whole wheat bread and fruit). I couldn't find a healthy balance so I prefer to stay away from NO carb diets just because for ME its not worth it. Everyone is different and things work for some and not others. Try it and see how it works for you. People who sit on here constantly bashing and arguing with others make me giggle. I must have been mistaken when I assumed this site was made for encouragement. Get a life.
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Also, note that Atkins, himself, died of Cardiac Arrest.

Pretty sure he fell on ice and died of related injuries. I see this all the time. Turns out people just regurgitate rumours they hear as fact. Not that cool.

Yeah yeah, be that way...LOL He did suffer one, though.

He suffered a what? a cardiac arrest? cardiac arrest is the cessasion of normal circulation of the blood due to failure of the heart to contract. Everybody who dies suffers cardiac arrest LOL Sometimes if can be CAUSED by a heart attack (which is not the same thing) but in this case I think that seems to be what you are trying to imply. Every single person who died, EVER... suffers cardiac arrest.

Shes right lol
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Do you know anything anything about Atkins? If you did, you'd know you start increasing carbs after induction, and there are 4 levels, Induction, Ongoing weight loss, pre-maintenance, and maintenance. Why would you change to Zone for maintenance?

Atkins has changed a lot from the 2002 version. If you go to the atkins website you can get all the info on the various levels and how to add back carbs for free.

Induction is for 2 weeks, not months on end. If you do it properly, its amazing and you have no carb cravings. You'll find your optimal carb count for weight loss and then for maintenance. People who think they are doing Atkins by staying on induction for long periods don't know the plan and then they go around saying things that aren't true. And some make up lies about Dr. Atkins death.
  • ru4justice
    Options
    I did at Atkins about 5 years ago. When I started Atkins I weighed 180lbs. Three months later, I was down to 135lbs. During those three months I never ate more than 30 carbs per day. Those carbs were consumed eating mainly vegetables. The bad news is, just as quickly as I lost it, I gained it back when I resumed eating carbs. On induction, the first two weeks I lost 10 lbs. The weight loss slowed after that.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is hard enough, without putting extra restrictions on yourself. Do you really think you'll be able to eat low carb for the rest of your life? Does that really sound enjoyable for 10, 20, 30 or more years? You can lose weight with pretty much any diet plan and the weight loss phase is for a very small amount of time in the scheme of things. The focus should be on what plan can you feasibly do for the rest of your life, to make you part of the very small percentage of people who actually succeed at long term weight loss. Maintenance is a B. - don't make it any harder than it needs to be.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    huge mistake DO NOT DO IT!

Care to explain why?
    Don't do it! Yes the weight melts off. But it comes back!. Atkins is something that you have to commit to. Low carbing for life (and I just couldn't do it love bread too much). It works for some people. It didn't work for me. Low carbing really messed with my mind - but that was just my experience.

No it doesn't come back, unless you have the mentality of "oh, I'm not on Atkins anymore! PIZZA ERRYDAYY!" and go back to your old habits.

I did a similar diet, lost 150 pounds in about a year, and have lost a little more weight since then. In fact, it taught me a few good dieting tips like vegetables are delicious when prepared right, and fat in the diet =/= fat in the body.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1) For weight loss and a "Short-term fix" it works. But you will still need to find a healthier Lifestyle/Diet to keep it off and maintain a healthy living. If you have issues with Cholesterol, it will help...but again, it's short-term.

You can keep the diet forever actually. Ketogenic diets (like Atkins is during its induction phase) are commonly used on epileptics to reduce seizures with only mild side effects. In fact, they use a more extreme version that limits protein intake as well. Also, Atkins has more phases than the induction phase. It gradually incorporates carbs into your diet as you go on.
    2) some good reading here on the concerns to make this your lifestyle - "The American Dietetic Association also has concerns about the Atkins diet. Gail Frank, PhD, former spokeswoman for the organization and professor of nutrition at California State University in Long Beach, says, "The body needs a minimum of carbohydrates for efficient and healthy functioning -- about 150 grams daily." Below that, normal metabolic activity is disrupted.

No. If you go below a certain point in carb intake, you go into ketosis, and begin turning fat into ketones to burn in many places you normally would use glucose and glycogen, and you'll use proteins to make the carbs needed for functions where you can't use fat.
    "The brain needs glucose to function efficiently, and it takes a long time to break down fat and protein to get to the brain," says Frank. Carbohydrates, especially in the form of vegetables, grains, and fruits, are more efficiently converted to glucose. And this more efficient use of glucose has developed over a long period of time, according to Frank. "Fruits and berries are much more indicative of early man's eating pattern than eating only protein, and we haven't changed all that much physiologically."

No, your brain can function in ketosis just fine.

He died from slipping on ice.
    So let me ask you....are you in it for the short-haul, or for life and long health? If its the short-haul, just go get Lipo

Atkins is good for life if you actually follow the plan. It incorporates carbs into your diet gradually.

Also, I suggest you guys ALL actually learn what the Atkins Diet is.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview.aspx

You start out with 20 net carbs (Total carbs-fiber) per day, from mostly low-carb vegetables.

After a while, you incorporate nuts and certain berries, and can eat 25-45 net carbs.

Then when you're within 10 pounds of your goal, you incorporate fruits, legumes and grains into your diet, eating 50-70 net carbs.

And once you've hit your goals, you eat 75+ net carbs per day and eat normally.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I did at Atkins about 5 years ago. When I started Atkins I weighed 180lbs. Three months later, I was down to 135lbs. During those three months I never ate more than 30 carbs per day. Those carbs were consumed eating mainly vegetables. The bad news is, just as quickly as I lost it, I gained it back when I resumed eating carbs. On induction, the first two weeks I lost 10 lbs. The weight loss slowed after that.

Your mistake was likely going to unrestricted carbs. If you had kept the carbs below 150 grams per day (and nixed "fast" carbs like table sugar, high fructose corn syrup (as in soft drinks) and grain starch (as in white flour and white rice), it is doubtful that you would have gained it back. I have been on a "lower carbohydrate" plan (I generally eat between 60-120 grams of carbs per day, with the higher amount on my higher exercise days) for three years and have gradually lost 65 pounds. In all that time, despite taking the occasional hiatus from the plan, I have not gained a single ounce. But I make sure if/when I eat at maintenance, to always stay below 150 grams of carbohydrate, avoiding added sugars and grain starch. I understand that this is something I will have to maintain for life--but it isn't really difficult--I would never go back to my former high carb (do government food guides really recommend 6 pieces of BREAD per day!? :noway: ). I get plenty of protein, "good" fats, lots of vegetables, nuts and fruit. I eat very well and enjoy unusually good health since I started on the plan. All of my "numbers" are now excellent, when I visit my doctor--and they were lousy before I began, three years ago. I was on two blood pressure meds (with my doc suggesting a third) was exhausted all the time, my arthritis was getting worse and my blood sugar numbers were not looking good. In addition, my weight was higher than it had ever been. I was able to get off the blood pressure meds and my blood sugar numbers are great. Now my doctor says, "Keep doing what you're doing." :smile:
  • kschiff01
    kschiff01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago and lost 30 pounds but quickly gained it back ( and more )

Then you didn't do it correctly
  • kschiff01
    kschiff01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Your mistake was likely going to unrestricted carbs. If you had kept the carbs below 150 grams per day (and nixed "fast" carbs like table sugar, high fructose corn syrup (as in soft drinks) and grain starch (as in white flour and white rice), it is doubtful that you would have gained it back. I have been on a "lower carbohydrate" plan (I generally eat between 60-120 grams of carbs per day, with the higher amount on my higher exercise days) for three years and have gradually lost 65 pounds. In all that time, despite taking the occasional hiatus from the plan, I have not gained a single ounce. But I make sure if/when I eat at maintenance, to always stay below 150 grams of carbohydrate, avoiding added sugars and grain starch. I understand that this is something I will have to maintain for life--but it isn't really difficult--I would never go back to my former high carb (do government food guides really recommend 6 pieces of BREAD per day!? :noway: ). I get plenty of protein, "good" fats, lots of vegetables, nuts and fruit. I eat very well and enjoy unusually good health since I started on the plan. All of my "numbers" are now excellent, when I visit my doctor--and they were lousy before I began, three years ago. I was on two blood pressure meds (with my doc suggesting a third) was exhausted all the time, my arthritis was getting worse and my blood sugar numbers were not looking good. In addition, my weight was higher than it had ever been. I was able to get off the blood pressure meds and my blood sugar numbers are great. Now my doctor says, "Keep doing what you're doing." :smile:

^QFT
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Atkins plan for almost four weeks now. I am feeling very good. The first two days of induction, I was tired as my body adjusted. I have had blood sugar issues, but since I have started the Atkins plan, my energy levels have remained high and stable. It also has helped me get a grip on my sugar cravings. I do not have them any longer, for which I am very glad. My sleep pattern has also stabilized. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night, nor do I have trouble falling asleep. In the morning, I wake up feeling refreshed. I have lost 4% bodyfat and gained 3 lbs of lean muscle mass. My carbohydrate intake comes in the form of vegetables. I have not had any brain fog. If anything, my concentration has improved. I have not had any digestive or elimination issues either. My plan is to gradually incorporate greater amount of carbohydrate back into my diet gradually so that I can assess my personal tolerance related to my blood sugar and insulin response. I have been very happy with my experience thus far. I prepare my own food and use the Atkins Advantage bars as snacks
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ANY DIET works if followed. Staying on it after goal is the challenge. Personally I've never done one (with the exception for competitions) that kept me restricted from foods I like to eat. And that's why I've basically been the same size for 30 years now.

^^ this. Any "diet" works but they don't last very long.
    BINGO. The vast majority of folks gain the weight back, whether they went low carb, or anything else. Even the calorie counters. Even the IFFYM dieters. It's true that you have to make a lifestyle change. It sounds corny. But whatever you do you have to do it forever. If you return to the way (amount or whatever) you're eating now, the weight will return.

Pick an approach you can live with forever. For some, it's calorie counting. For some it's limiting certain foods.
    For some with very little to lose, consistent exercise can keep those few extra pounds off. But even with that: you need to ask yourself if you are planning to exercise consistently for the long term.

If you choose atkins and really CAN do zone after, that would probably work fine. IF you can do that for the long haul.

Best of luck with whatever path up the mountain you choose!
  • AbstractSilver
    Options
    Sorry for reviving a dead topic, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in here.

I believe the trick to doing Atkins successfully, or any low carb plan, is to make sure you are eating wholesome foods. My first attempt at atkins I lost 30lbs by eating a lot of pre-packaged and processed type foods. Yeah, the weight came off just as quickly, but I often suffered migraines and I had SEVERE mood swings. I didn't gain it ALL back, but I gained about half of it back when I finally snapped one day and "cheated" and then never actually managed to go back to how I was eating before. I am glad I didn't go back now.

Now I am doing low carb (similar to atkins, but different enough I don't feel comfortable actually saying I'm doing atkins). I eat 90% clean, but if I want a candy bar? Yeah, I'll eat one (stares at butterfinger wrapper). I've lost over 20lbs this way, and I haven't had a single migraine and my moods have been much more stable. Yeah, I'm not doing induction-level carbs (20 or less), but I'm still eating relatively low carb (around 50 most days). I also count calories and try to stay between 1300-1500.The weight is coming off a bit slower, but I'm still losing a good 2-3 lbs a week and I've been dieting for quite a while, so it hasn't slowed. I occasionally have a "break" week, where I practice maintaining instead of actively losing, but I still monitor myself. This seems to have helped me avoid plateaus.

tl;dr: Atkins, and any low carb diet for that matter, applies the same logic as anything else (weight watchers, calorie counting... anything). If you eat crap, you will feel like crap. If you eat healthy and listen to your body, you should be fine. I firmly believe the body DOES need some carbs, but not as many as most of us get on the SAD.
  • TriGirlsRock
    Options
    You have to figure out what your triggers and downfalls are in order to succeed in finding a healthy eating plan for YOU.
    I have Celiac's Disease so Gluten is out for me, but I am also Sugar and Carbohydrate sensitive. I feel awful anytime I over indulge in either of the two. The Atkins Diet works well for me, I modify it slightly by only eating Organic Eggs and Organic lean protein and all the veggies I want except carrots because of the sugar content, I limit the amount I eat. When I first started it I thought I had 8-10lbs to lose but I lost 15 and felt great, the first two days of induction were the hardest after that I continued to feel better every day. Now I allow fruit, mostly berries and melon but only before 3pm and not everyday the only thing that I count are the carbs I consume that aren't veggies. On occasion I have ice cream but it's back to my plan the next day. I have kept the weight off and have managed to run countless half marathons, two full marathons and a handful of Triathlons. This works for me, I share my info with others and tell them pay attention to your body and how YOU feel after you eat certain foods and it will lead you in the right direction.
    Good Luck!
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for a while a few years ago, and yes, it works, but I agree with the other posters here - it is very hard to commit to a low-carb diet for a long period of time. As much as I like bacon, eggs, and steak, it gets monotonous pretty quickly. And ketogenic diets have little tolerance for cheating. Eat a donut and it might take you a couple of days to get back into ketosis.

I've had just as much success with a diet that focuses on eating mostly whole foods at a slight calorie deficit, combined with weight lifting and moderate cardio. And I have a lot more food choices.

Good luck!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have the snack bars and shakes on hand, not to do the whole Atkins thing, but to supplement my regular diet. They are good to have for when I need a snack, or am away from home, driving at lunchtime (Diabetic)
    I hate the taste of Atkins stuff, last time I tried some I threw one box out, it was nasty.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Been doing Extended Induction for shy over 8 months and feel great. Once i get to 200-210lb loss i will reevaluate since i will be moving to strength training.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I follow a low carb approach (not any in particular, just low carb so my sugar cravings stay away as well as my blood sugar stays consistent as I'm insulin resistant) I ALSO count calories, because no matter what you eat you can not lose weight if you're eating too much of it. I believe this gives me an edge because I do learn portion control and I also learn which carbs affect me more negatively (sweet potatoe is much better than wonderbread :P)

I lost a fair bit the first couple of weeks, 7lbs but the rest seems to come off about 1lbs/week. I eat about 1800 on days I"m not active to about 2000 on days which I am. Seems to work just fine for me and I am learning a lot about myself in the process. I don't expect to gain anything back even when I add in more carbs because I will still be eating aroung 1800 calories/day. The bottom line is no matter what you choose, too many calories is going to undermine your efforts so evne though Atkins says not to count calories I would count them based on your TDEE -20,15,10% whatever.

^^^THIS^^^ I have done Atkins in the past and I did lose weight on it. BUT, the weight came right back on (plus more) whenever I went back to eating carbs. In my opinion, Atkins simply isn't very sustainable for the rest of one's life and I'm not interested in programs that I can't maintain easily for life. For the sake of one's long-term health, one needs the nutrients that vegetables and fruits supply and, in my opinion, it is very difficult to get adequate levels of them on Atkins. That having been said, I do eat a LOWER carbohydrate diet--permanently. I generally eat 100-150 grams of carbohydrate in a day--all chosen among vegetables, fruits and limited gluten-free grain (mainly, organic oats). I find it quite easy to maintain my weight on this regimen--a first for me, after many, many years of yo-yo dieting/gaining. (The more exercise and weight training I do, the more my body fat level falls.) I had to retrain my eating habits which became pretty simple after I cut the empty calories of sugar and wheat starch out of my diet. I began to crave vegetables and fruits, which was also a first for me. I used to joke about "not ever eating anything green" if I could help it. Getting rid of what I call "dietary distractions" (sugar, starch and junk food in general) allowed my appetite to line up with what I needed for good health. I watch the calorie levels too but it is true that calories from vegetables and fruits, because of indigestible fiber, are a little less potent than those from sugar and starch. When they measure calories from a certain food, they put it in a bomb calorimeter and burn it. But, if they did that with a chunk of wood, while it would register high calories, it would in reality be zero calories as there is no food value there. THAT is why we need to reduce the very, very available (but very often nutrient-poor) calories from sugar and starch and increase the foods that yield more nutrients than just burnable carbohydrates. Many, many of us cannot eat lots and lots of carbohydrates and we must be VERY picky about the ones we permit into our diets. Weight maintenance becomes a walk in the park when you follow this type of a program.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Pretty sure he fell on ice and died of related injuries. I see this all the time. Turns out people just regurgitate rumours they hear as fact. Not that cool.

Yeah yeah, be that way...LOL He did suffer one, though.

Everyone suffers cardiac arrest eventually--it's called death. :wink:
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I only make dietary changes that I know I can do indefinitely. Low carbs is not something I can do indefinitely.

It's been 99 days since I started counting calories and I have lost 28 pounds so far.

I eat the same stuff I was eating before, just with smaller portions. My current daily carb limit is 190 grams.

You may have better results by going low carb, but make sure it is something that you can do for the long term. Good luck!