Will the scale ever go down?

Options
Hi all,
Ive been at this properly and consistently for the last 6 months, i've seen great changes in my fitness, strength and stamina. Every month my measurements go down and i'm starting to see muscle definition. But the damn scale doesn't seem to want to budge, i seem to loose maybe 500gm a month. I know not to focus on the scales and everything else is improving but surely at some point the scale has to go down?

I'm eating roughly 1750 cals a day, i do 3 x 60min runs a week, 5 x 45 min free weight sessions, 2 x HIIT classes and a couple of spin classes a week. I don't eat my exercise cals back is i've been trialling the TDEE method.

Is there anything i'm doing wrong? Could do more of or less of. Any suggestions/feedback?
My food diary isn't completed consistently due to shift work and forgetfulness so that not be a lot of help.

Thanks

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You're not logging food.

How did you determine you're eating "roughly 1750 cals a day"?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are most likely eating too much
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You are most likely eating too much

Well, she's clearly eating too much.

If you want to lose weight and, over a long period of time, you are not losing weight, then you are eating too much. By definition.

The answer is to eat less, but it looks like she doesn't have any sort of grip on just how much she's eating now. The first step is to start logging food. Can't make any meaningful adjustments without knowing where you are now.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I will put it to you this way. If you are at a calorie deficit, and you don't have some sort of condition, you will lose fat. If the scale isn't moving you are either:

A) Getting more calories than you calculate.
    B) Are gaining muscle at such a high rate that it balances with fat loss.

I am going with A. You are probably getting over 1750 seeing as you don't log your food. This is very simple. Calories in vs calories out. Start logging your food and see if that doesn't help you shed those pounds.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As i mentioned i don't log my food everyday but i eat the same things basically everyday, after 6 months i have a pretty good handle on what it is i'm eating. If i was binging on stuff and over eating every single day i wouldn't feel the need to ask why the scales not going down.
    But thanks for the constructive feedback.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    As i mentioned i don't log my food everyday but i eat the same things basically everyday, after 6 months i have a pretty good handle on what it is i'm eating. If i was binging on stuff and over eating every single day i wouldn't feel the need to ask why the scales not going down.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but you're overeating and that's why the scale isn't going down.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Then you need to go see a doctor. You probably have a medical condition that needs to be analyzed.

Or you could stop being ignant and log your food.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I dunno. That or the muscle thing. But the scale should be moving down some even so.

Possible your body is at one hell of a plateau if you usually eat the same food and usually do they same exercise. Why not try calorie cycling or switching your exercise to something completely different like swimming or a training video for a week to see if you can snap your body out of the funk.

If none of that works and you are sure about your calorie counts, I'd go see a doctor to see if there is anything wrong medically.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

If the scale is not going down, you are most likely not accurate in your calorie assessment which means you are eating more than you think you are. That's the bottom line when the scale does not go down, unless you have some kind of medical issue that impedes weight loss, in which case you need to go see a doctor, or you are eating loads and loads of salt every day (water retention)..

My advice is to weigh all solid food and measure all liquids that you put into your mouth. Do your research to make sure you are accurately logging both calories in and calories burned, because this is the only way to be sure you stay within your calorie allowance. If this doesn't work, go see the doctor. :smile:
  • jonnythan
    Options

If the scale is not going down, you are most likely not accurate in your calorie assessment which means you are eating more than you think you are. That's the bottom line when the scale does not go down, unless you have some kind of medical issue that impedes weight loss, in which case you need to go see a doctor, or you are eating loads and loads of salt every day (water retention)..

My advice is to weigh all solid food and measure all liquids that you put into your mouth. Do your research to make sure you are accurately logging both calories in and calories burned, because this is the only way to be sure you stay within your calorie allowance. If this doesn't work, go see the doctor. :smile:

FWIW, it's impossible to eat enough sodium to continually offset progressive weight loss. You can't lose a pound a week, and retain one more pound of water a week, for 6 months ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

FWIW, it's impossible to eat enough sodium to continually offset progressive weight loss. You can't lose a pound a week, and retain one more pound of water a week, for 6 months ;)

Right. That's statement was meant to be extreme because it's 99.99% likely that the OP is just eating more than she thinks she is. For me, too much food was what always caused the scale numbers to stay the same or go up. :smile:
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Try cutting 200 calories a day from your diet. See what happens.