Night or sleep eating

Options
I have done so well these months with following my good eating plan. Was happy and felt full. I noticed with the shorter days, I'm hungry more. For the last few weeks, I am compelled to get up in the middle of the night and eat something, something sweet usually. Cereal is my first go to item, but peanutbutter sandwichs are fair game and any cookies, etc. that I didn't get my son to hide before bed. I eat a huge supper, but not much during the day time hours, just drink a ton of water and some coffee. Could this have something to do with it?

The urge to eat usually hits me right before i am actually asleep, just boom, I gotta eat something and anything is fair game. Eating this stuff in the middle of the night is going to wreck everything. I do take a lot of meds. at bedtime to make me sleep, Ambien is one of them and they are known to do that. But I've taken it for over a year, why did the side effect start now? I took Seroquel and that really made me sleep eat and sleep drive and sleep talk and do all sorts of stuff in my sleep. I also take 2mg of Xanax and have taken that for the last 7 yrs. at night. You would think I would sleep like a log, I don't. I fall asleep, wake up in 2 hrs., fall asleep and wake up again.

I do suffer from the seasonal disorder and the Dr. has up my meds. to try to ward it off, but it isn't helping totally. Since the time change, I have no motivation. I force myself to walk and exercise, where as, in the summer, I went willingly. Felt awesome. Now it's like, blah, I just want to stay in bed!

Does anyone have any ideas to help me get back to NOT eating in the night? And how to get my 'feeling good' back?

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You are on a lot of meds.

I wouldn't take anybody's advice here. I would talk to your doctor about the side effects of the drugs you are taking.

If you are taking sleeping aids and not sleeping...that's a problem.

If you know the drugs you are taking causes hunger pains...there is your answer. Talk to your doc.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You are on a lot of meds.

I wouldn't take anybody's advice here. I would talk to your doctor about the side effects of the drugs you are taking.

If you are taking sleeping aids and not sleeping...that's a problem.

If you know the drugs you are taking causes hunger pains...there is your answer. Talk to your doc.

I agree. OP, you are in need of a doctor's visit.
  • lluckenbaugh
    lluckenbaugh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was to the Dr. last month and had all tests from Aids to Zits run and everything was good. That was my 'female Dr.' person. Next week I go back to the 'head Dr.' for my monthly appointment. I can make an appointment for 'the family Dr.' but since I had all the tests done last month and they show nothing, my insurance will kick it back and refuse to pay for a second go round, when nothing was out of order.

Another fact I forgot to mention is I hit a wall on the losing. I was doing 8-10 lb. a month since January and now this whole month the scales hasn't moved. I shrunk, but didn't lose any weight. Feeling disgusted too. Think more about comfort foods and not my end result. That's why I thought I needed more support and a cheering crowd. I'm honestly thinking about putting thumb tacks on the floor outside my bedroom door, just to stop myself.
  • lluckenbaugh
    lluckenbaugh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It didn't happen last night for some reason. But then again, I ate supper at 8:00 also.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    . I shrunk, but didn't lose any weight.

- Hey - if you shrunk that is progress too. Don't be fixated on the scale alone, if you are losing inches that is also a good thing. If the issues started with the time change and you did not have the problem when you switched your dinner time, you might want to try changing your meal times a bit to figure out something that suits you better. (assuming that you are also getting medical attention as other posters have noted).