WII FIT

Options
Does anybody use the WII for fitness? Does it help you lose weight? What games are good to play? I have the game and enjoy it but just wondering if it does help with fitness and if so what to do?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    On the totem pole that is fitness, I would place Wii Fit near the bottom.
    I'm not necessarily knocking it, because games like EA Sports Active for the Wii are really good.

I would consider anything on the Wii good as a gateway fitness program, a gateway to get you started and transitioned into a more intense regiment.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    On the totem pole that is fitness, I would place Wii Fit near the bottom.
    I'm not necessarily knocking it, because games like EA Sports Active for the Wii are really good.

I would consider anything on the Wii good as a gateway fitness program, a gateway to get you started and transitioned into a more intense regiment.
    Yes, exactly this. When I first started about 15 months ago, I was 300lbs and I used the Wii Fit daily. I had the Biggest Loser, Jillian's Whatever it was called... Golds Gym Cardio Boxing etc and I went to Aquafit classes. For a beginner and for someone at that size, it was great. Now, of course, I am much fitter so I do not get as much benefit from those games and have transitioned to weight training and kickboxing. Both of which, I wish I had started right at the beginning, but live and learn, right.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you're not doing any formal exercise right now - definitely get some Wii games. Anything to get you moving more.

I have a few....nice to have some variety.

"Exerbeat" is varied ....there should be something for most people .....dance, pilates/yoga, and boxercising. Fun games, you get longer workouts as you earn more points.

"Walk it Out" is fun but VERY beginner. It's nice to go for a walk & build your island. You can customize the music to make it a little more intense. The nice thing is that you've been walking an hour (or so)...and time flies. Try it on a rebounder for a higher calorie burn (like jogging).

"Just Dance" - if you like to dance this is great to get moving. You don't have to be very good. Anybody can do this.

Just Dance & Zumba can likely be rented from RedBox.....a nice way to try them out before you buy them.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Back when I lost the firt 30 lbs, Wii Fit was a regular routine for me. Coming from being a complete couch potato, it really helped me get up and move more. I also started walking and making healthier food choices, which I know contributed a great deal, but I do feel that the Wii helped me to get into a routine of getting off the couch and doing something, and anything is better than nothing!
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I like the WII Fit and I have 2 Biggest Loser and all of the Just Dance and I like it because I sweat and still find it fun, with the Biggest loser ones you can go at you own level and increase as needed. I think anything with a calorie burn is good
  • mamaboden
    Options
    We just got the Wii U and I'm excited for the new Wii Fit game. I wish I could say I was more motivated when it comes to working out at home, but honestly, I'm just not. I'm super motivated by SEEING the number of calories I'm burning so hopefully a PolarFit watch, Wii Fit U, and hitting the gym once a week will do the trick.

I like the little accessory you can take with you to count all of your activity throughout the whole day to compile in one place. I think it's going to be a HUGE motivator. :)

If only my husband would make me some sort of star chart...;P
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had Wii Fitness for the original Wii and it helped me a lot. I was completely sedentary so I couldn't do a lot at first, but the simple exercises and yoga helped me loosen up my muscles and get used to being active. If my gallbladder hadn't burst, I would've kept it up and I'd probably have fitness games for the WiiU, if I could afford a WiiU.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I got the wii fit when I first started out, even built a little platform to make the step exercises more challenging. Now I use that to rest my weights on....
    I did get back into it for a while doing yoga to complement my running. But meh, too many steps to do a simple thing...
    I still enjoy the balance games though. Ski jump and obstacle course being my faves :happy: If I found someone willing to pay $30 for it, it'd be gone though...
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Zumba Core, and I used it practically every day for the first six months or so when I started my weight loss journey. It was definitely a workout. It really depends on what game you get, I think, and how much effort you actually put into it. some games you can "cheat" at by flicking your wrist just right so it shows activity. With the Zumba games, You wear a belt and put the controller in the belt, and it senses the movement in your hips.