Plateauing for weeks now

Options
Hi everybody

For the longest time I was stuck in that 1200 cals per day rut until I came across a lovely lady on here who helped me and explained that I needed to up my calories. It came with fear because before that on and off I struggled with ED behaviours. However after 2 weeks the scale showed a loss and I couldn't have been happier - all my efforts were working for once!

Currently I am running 30 mins 3-5 times per week (maybe 1-2days I won't run and will do workout in my room) eating clean I suppose as best I can , avoiding all cheat meals and staying in my 1500 cals per day.

At 5ft 3 and 59kg (18yrs old) I'm quiet 'chunky'. I've been plateauing for weeks on end now. I don't believe I need to increase my intake as 30-40 mins exercise 3-5 days a week is all I do, I'm just getting a bit bummed out that I'm giving it alot of effort, weighing everything, calculating everything, and nothing!
I will be trying to change up meals (but apparently this doesn't really help?) and trying to get more sleep.
Do you think a cheat meal might get the ball rolling again? I always feel aweful after one and as much as I haven't had rocky road in years , it doesn't change the fact for me that eating it is making me stray even further away from my goals.

Pleaseeeeeeeeee help me, and advice or tips is greatly appreciated. :wink:

Replies

• Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sounds like you're doing all the right things! Keep up the good work and yeah, I'd throw a 'cheat meal' in there a couple times a month. Doesn't hurt to shake things up and keep the metabolism guessing! Sleep is a good thing too :smile:

Best Wishes to you!
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey Tay :)

I make my living off of helping people push through this stuff. It sounds like you need to look a little deeper.

Now before I tell you this, I'm just going to let you know that some people are going to follow my comment by saying how dumb I am and blah blah blah. It always happens, but you have to understand that what "works" for one person's body is great...but you're living proof that the cookie-cutter doesn't work across the board and when you've been helping thousands of people lose weight over the past 12 years, you realize that's true!!

So this is what I would do with my clients.

1st. I would put them on probiotics, L-glutamine, digestive enzymes and a multivitamin (gut is everything)
    2nd. I would check to see if the female client had parents with a history of thyroid issues
    3rd. have them do a "zinc test"
    4th. If Zinc test comes up low, I know they probably have issues with mineral absorption so I put them on Paleo nutrition
    5th. if not of that makes the scale budge, I would have them do a food allergy test or start getting rid of common food allergens (egg, chicken, dairy, etc. )

Paleo rules.

Hope that helps :)

Nate
    trainbetter.org
    wellfitlife.me
  • nancyaaa
    nancyaaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Plateauing for 2 years now
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    "I'm not losing weight, should I eat more?" :huh:

Funny how that's always the first question people ask. Gee, if eating more made people lose weight, how did anyone ever become overweight in the first place?

I would advise you to get your calorie deficit in order, your numbers aren't adding up, and there's a mistake somewhere. But you probably don't want to hear that, do you?
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, your BMR is a bit over 1430 if you do nothing all day but survive. Add in an activity factor and exercise calories, you're at least 20% higher than that. If you want to lose weight, and have over 13% body fat (your BMI says you are), if you eat under your BMR your body will use fat stores for energy. That is what it does.

If you plateau, it is most likely that you are eating at maintenance levels (despite your best measuring). When I was trying to cut 0.5 lb/week (250 cal/day deficit), I ended up losing 1.5 lb/week (750 cal/day deficit)... Counting calories are estimates, and while we do our best, the scale will tell the truth. If you are not losing fat, you are not eating at a deficit. Cut 250 calories/day more (0.5 lb/week) and see if your scale starts moving again.

As long as you have stored fat over essential fat (10% to 13% for women), you will not harm yourself by eating at a deficit below your BMR. If you eat nothing for days, you'll start to harm your body.

Also, eat back your exercise calories. If your goal is 1200 cal/day (for example), and you run 30 minutes and burn 300 calories, eat and enjoy those calories back (eat 1500 cal that day). You'll still be at a deficit. The 1200 cal/day "goal" does not account for cardio you do in addition to your normal day.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    "I'm not losing weight, should I eat more?" :huh:

Funny how that's always the first question people ask. Gee, if eating more made people lose weight, how did anyone ever become overweight in the first place?

I would advise you to get your calorie deficit in order, your numbers aren't adding up, and there's a mistake somewhere. But you probably don't want to hear that, do you?

This.

I just don't understand the concept of cheat meals. Just eat what you want when you want and stay within your calorie allowance.

"Cheating" does not "jump start" or " shake up" your metabolism.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody

For the longest time I was stuck in that 1200 cals per day rut until I came across a lovely lady on here who helped me and explained that I needed to up my calories. It came with fear because before that on and off I struggled with ED behaviours. However after 2 weeks the scale showed a loss and I couldn't have been happier - all my efforts were working for once!

Currently I am running 30 mins 3-5 times per week (maybe 1-2days I won't run and will do workout in my room) eating clean I suppose as best I can , avoiding all cheat meals and staying in my 1500 cals per day.

At 5ft 3 and 59kg (18yrs old) I'm quiet 'chunky'. I've been plateauing for weeks on end now. I don't believe I need to increase my intake as 30-40 mins exercise 3-5 days a week is all I do, I'm just getting a bit bummed out that I'm giving it alot of effort, weighing everything, calculating everything, and nothing!
    I will be trying to change up meals (but apparently this doesn't really help?) and trying to get more sleep.
    Do you think a cheat meal might get the ball rolling again? I always feel aweful after one and as much as I haven't had rocky road in years , it doesn't change the fact for me that eating it is making me stray even further away from my goals.

Pleaseeeeeeeeee help me, and advice or tips is greatly appreciated. :wink:

You are doing a lot of cardio, have you thought about some strength training?

If you have been dieting for a genuinely long period of time (not just the 'omg I have been doing this for 3 whole weeks and this is like forever') and you are not getting anywhere, something is wrong with the math. Maybe open your diary, if you want some more detailed advice.

Realistically though you might want to look at your behaviour regarding food in general. Take a break over the holiday period and have a think why you want to lose the weight in the first place. And lastly, you are only 18 years old, so go and have some rocky road for goodness sake.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    hey do let us know what finally worked for you !!

what changes u made in calories/exercise.

maybe you are in a stall and weight may fall down in chunks or maybe you are not in deficit.