Fat, Protien, Carb ratio

Options
I am vegan and gluten free. Myfitnesspal makes it so easy to track calories, iron and calcium which are always difficult to get in whack in a vegan diet.

I am just finally getting up to the point where I have these under control, but I notice that my protein usually sits around recommended values, my fat often doubles and my carbs are generally around half. I feel healthy and good, and I am actually slowly losing weight.

I have heard protein is the most important macronutrient to have in check so I'm not too worried. I was just wondering if there's any harm in a relatively high fat, low carb diet.

The fats are at least 95% from fruits or vegetables, coconut oil, nuts, uncooked olive oil and avocado's so they are "healthy" fats

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The RDA for carbs is 130 g/day to meet average minimum needs for glucose used by the brain, according to Dietary Reference Intakes published by the National Academies of Science (http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=265).
  • chloe0o
    Options
    May be showing my ignorance, but doesn't the body convert fat to glucose?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yes (well, not directly, glycerol first). I don't see any point in making my liver work that hard day in, day out :wink:

I'm having a hard time imaging how you manage as a vegan who is meeting her protein goals and getting "at least 95% [of your fats] from fruits or vegetables, coconut oil, nuts, uncooked olive oil and avocado's" to be eating a low carb diet, unless you're getting 50% of your fats from the coconut oil and olive oil. Other than oils, plant-based fats come with carbs. Plant-based proteins come with carbs, unless you're eating vegan protein powders or other highly processed sources (not criticizing, just wondering how it's possible to be low carb and vegan -- am I wrong in assuming that the reference to uncooked olive oil indicates a preference for raw, whole foods?).

Maybe we're defining "low carb" differently? I tend to think of it as something below 60 grams of carbs a day, although I guess I'd view anything under 120 as "low-ish." What do you mean by it?
  • chloe0o
    Options
    Lower carb would make more sense, I hit about half the daily recommendation on here.

I eat mostly vegetables, seeds and nuts, and use a few tablespoons of coconut oil in my breakfast, I find it stops me from craving fatty foods and binging later in the day because I'm starving.
  • chloe0o
    Options
    The last week has been 50-80g
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    May be showing my ignorance, but doesn't the body convert fat to glucose?
    Miniscule amounts from fat. Protein is the primary secondary source for glucose.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As long as you get enough fat, then the ratio doesn't matter. If you don't eat enough carbs, you might suffer in the gym a bit in terms of anaerobic exercise (HIIT, lifting, etc.).

If you're not eating enough carbs for your body to run, then you'll go into ketosis. This is fine, and some people induce it on purpose to lose weight. (Though, the benefits are mostly in guilt-free bacon, satiety, and eating lots of low-carb veggies.)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well FWIW, the MFP protein targets are ridiculously low, especially for people who are losing weight.

As a vegan, you would have a very tough time increasing your protein take, frankly.

But "too much fat" and "not enough carbs" are not real concerns.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well FWIW, the MFP protein targets are ridiculously low, especially for people who are losing weight.

As a vegan, you would have a very tough time increasing your protein take, frankly.

But "too much fat" and "not enough carbs" are not real concerns.

She can supplement rice, pea, and/or hemp protein if she has the money to drop on it.
  • chloe0o
    Options
    As far as the gym goes, I'm a recovering smoker (6 deathsticks this month, all more than 14 days ago ^_^) with a dodgy knee so I'm pretty shot when it comes to exercise at the moment. I am making slow progress with weights and cardio though. I would guess that when I stop making progress I need more protein? How can you actually tell?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    As far as the gym goes, I'm a recovering smoker (6 deathsticks this month, all more than 14 days ago ^_^) with a dodgy knee so I'm pretty shot when it comes to exercise at the moment. I am making slow progress with weights and cardio though. I would guess that when I stop making progress I need more protein? How can you actually tell?

In general terms, up to a certain point, the more protein you eat the more lean mass you will retain as you lose weight. The generally-accepted minimum protein level for optimal muscle retention for people who are losing weight and exercising is about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass per day.
  • chloe0o
    Options
    In general terms, up to a certain point, the more protein you eat the more lean mass you will retain as you lose weight. The generally-accepted minimum protein level for optimal muscle retention for people who are losing weight and exercising is about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass per day.

I'm assuming lean mass is your weight without the fat? If I'm 195~ at 41% body fat then I'm guessing that would mean I need around 110-120g a day right?
  • chloe0o
    Options
    I try to stay completely away from processed foods, so protein powders aren't really my thing, but I'm sure I could throw some more beans and legumes into my diet. I just keep forgetting to either put them on soak or take them off soak. Well, thanks for the advice guys. I really do appreciate it.