I just started growing/making kefir

Options
Grow? Make?

I guess you make the kefir milk and grow the kefir grains....

Anyway, my flatmate gave me a few kefir grains and I just had my first drink today.

For those who haven't heard of kefir, it is like this cauliflower looking clump of bacteria and yeast which you put in milk and leave at room temperature for a day or two. You then take the cauliflower clumps out and drink the milk, and start the process again.

I find it smells like yeast, but tastes like yoghurt. Still getting used to the texture though.

Any other kefir maker/drinkers out there?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I adore it but haven't tried making it. I just buy it at the health food store sometimes. So good for you!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I wonder what the health food stuff is like.

I had tasted my flatmate's previous batches, but never bought it.

I am hoping the eczema healing properties turn out to be true. My skin is not the worst it has ever been, but it could be a lot better.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Not heard about it being used for eczema but can't hurt to give it a go.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    Well, I am just giving it a go because my flatmate gave it to me.

But I read that one of the benefits was for eczema.

So I hope that benefit is true. :P
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    Does anyone know if hiccups is a common side effect of kefir?

I have had hiccups several times today, and I hardly get it at all.

Been google searching and found nothing, but kefir is a ferminted drink, so it doesn't seem a far leap in logic to think it may be contributing to my hiccups.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My mom makes it and I want too, it's delish. And healthy.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    I used a spoon to eat today's portion instead of trying to drink it and somehow it made the texture much more palatable.
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Not used or heard of kefie but just a comment on eczema, my husband has it and I changed to an oatmeal based, non allergic, soap which helps.
    There are a few washing powders and fabric softeners that set him off too.
    An old fashioned 'cure' was to tie a muslin bag of oatmeal and put it into the bath.
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore kefir. Like, have a serious love for it and have only just started making my own. At $4 a quart in the supermarket, making my own is far more affordable.

I have severe IBS that is triggered by certain foods and I was taking probiotics every day with minimal success. Since I have started drinking kefir (I drink about a cup a day), the way I feel has improved dramatically... I don't have emergencies or days long nausea. I don't know anything about eczema as I don't have it.

I've also recommended it to other members in my family and they also love it.

Try making a kefir smoothie with fruit... absolutely delicious.
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just started making mine the day before yesterday, and no matter how much milk I put it in it, it separates and tastes super sour. I drank it today after I got past the texture, but I keep feeling super paranoid that it is spoiled milk. After looking at multiple websites, I see it is normal/okay for it to separate into multiple layers and taste sour, and you can just mix it up. Does that sound about right to you? Any recommendations/tips you have would be greatly appreciated!
  • kharmacat
    kharmacat Posts: 13
    Options
    I just started making mine the day before yesterday, and no matter how much milk I put it in it, it separates and tastes super sour. I drank it today after I got past the texture, but I keep feeling super paranoid that it is spoiled milk. After looking at multiple websites, I see it is normal/okay for it to separate into multiple layers and taste sour, and you can just mix it up. Does that sound about right to you? Any recommendations/tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I've been making kefir for awhile... this isn't typical. How many grains do you use? How long do you let it ferment? Are you in a warmer climate? Try using a smaller amount of grains (a teaspoon) and/or shortening the ferment time. The warmer it is in your home, the quicker the ferment time is. Here in Michigan, 24 hours on a warm summers day (75-80) is about right for my grains.

Another thing... have your grains been dormant for awhile? Sometimes if they haven't been actively used, they will produce a sour/separated kefir at first. In this case, just toss out the sour kefir and try again. You shouldn't have to do this more than a few times to get back to some good tasting kefir.

Good luck!
  • Dewymorning
    Options

It seperates quickly like that for me only on hot days or when I left it for a few days.

Normally it would go a kind of like a cottage cheese in milk... and sourness was only a bit more than unsweetened yoghurt.

Try putting it in a cooler place, less grains etc. is the best advice I can think of.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Been making it for a while I'm in Scotland not a warm place and I find 12 hours in the fridge followed by 12 hours in the kitchen is ideal. don't allow it to sit in sunlight I keep it in the shady end of the kitchen. If left longer to separate it makes whey ( which can be used in making scones or overnight soaked grains and the solid portion is a yummy curd cheese (though fidely removing the grains)

a definite kefir lover
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Is this board still active? I just started making kefir.
  • kayemme
    Options

I am hoping the eczema healing properties turn out to be true. My skin is not the worst it has ever been, but it could be a lot better.

I actually really liked the commercial version. I bought a bottle of it so I could sort of 'know" how it "should" taste as I brew my own. Mine's very sour. I hesitate to put sugar in it, but I think it's too sour for me to drink alone. I may blend it with some pineapple in the morning. Any other suggestions?
  • Dewymorning
    Options

I actually really liked the commercial version. I bought a bottle of it so I could sort of 'know" how it "should" taste as I brew my own. Mine's very sour. I hesitate to put sugar in it, but I think it's too sour for me to drink alone. I may blend it with some pineapple in the morning. Any other suggestions?

Blending with fruit as a smoothie is yummy.

I actually gave up on my kefir and haven't had it in ages, but it did make good smoothies.
  • kayemme
    Options
    i tried it blended with a banana and a handful of unsweetened blueberries. That was just enough sweet to cut the sour enough to make it palatable.

it was delicious... dEEEE LISSSHHHHH UUUUUUSSSSS
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    i tried it blended with a banana and a handful of unsweetened blueberries. That was just enough sweet to cut the sour enough to make it palatable.

it was delicious... dEEEE LISSSHHHHH UUUUUUSSSSS

That was the exact recipe I used last year.