Weight going UP :(

Options
My weight has been creeping up every day for the past week. I'm staying under my allowance, exercising 5 days a week, drinking lots of water, and I weigh/measure EVERYTHING and don't eat out very often. I feel like I'm too early in my journey to plateau...I still have 60+ lbs to lose. Any ideas for kickstarting things again appreciated.

Replies

• Tribesmama
    Options
    Iv read that when some people have hit a plateau theyv upped their calories an odd day just to shake things up. I dont mean loads but maybe an extra 200 and change an exercise a week might shock your body and hopefully move the lbs again.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My weight has been creeping up every day for the past week. I'm staying under my allowance, exercising 5 days a week, drinking lots of water, and I weigh/measure EVERYTHING and don't eat out very often. I feel like I'm too early in my journey to plateau...I still have 60+ lbs to lose. Any ideas for kickstarting things again appreciated.

I have a few questions...

How much is "lots of water"? For me, that is 3-4 quarts. For some people, that is less than a quart.

what is your allowance, and are you eating exercise calories?

what kind of exercise are you doing, and for how long at a time?

for me, if I drink too little water, I "gain" 2-3 lbs overnight. I exercise Monday-Friday, so by Thursday or friday, my muscles are most likely holding a bit of water for repair. Certain foods can cause me to bloat too--Chinese is horrible for that, and Chipotle can do it too...

I personally have 45lbs left to lose, and I haven't seen a new low number on the scale in almost 3 months. I don't measure or log food, but I bust my *kitten* at the gym--I'm doing about 30 minutes of cardio 4x a week, about 5-6 hours of strength training a week ( about 60-90 minutes 4-5x a week), and an hour long zumba type class. However, my body is changing in amazing ways. My legs are rock solid, and for the first time in my life, I have visable abs. SO I am going to continue to do what I am doing, and let the scale weight take care of itself...

10861448183_785538b1a7.jpg
    #yesisquat # musclemama by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

10857455026_4d003227d4.jpg
    #fitspo #hardworkwins #nevergiveup #notacardiobunny by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • bellajess
    Options
    Hi Dreamsicle23,

It sounds like you're doing everything right, by working out 5 days a week AND staying under your allowance it doesn't sound like anything is wrong. And at this point, I DOUBT you've already plateaued.

I can only think of 3 things that it MAY be (and i'm being serious with my 3rd one):

1. Are you snacking between meals and not recording them?
    2. Are you not eating ENOUGH healthy foods and just eating bad ones then working it off? Make sure you're eating the right types of food considering you're working out 5 times a week! Your body needs energy to burn off weight too and the energy comes from the right types of foods.
    3. (again, i'm serious about this)...could you possibly be pregnant? <-- obviously you don't have to answer that, but it's something to consider since it sounds like you're doing everything right yet you're saying you're actually GAINING weight.

Good luck with everything!
  • urgirlworksout
    urgirlworksout Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    you could be eating too little for your new weight try experimenting and up your calories a little. that's what did it for me after a 5 month plateau. It sounded ridiculous at first when I was told to eat more but within 2 weeks I started losing again.
    Good luck!
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    you said that this week your weight has been going up? is this near your time of month at all? that could make you gain a little water weight over a week or two
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You need to eat your exercise calories, first thing. But I'm guessing it's probably linked to your menstrual cycle. I always gain before my period.
  • dreamsicle23
    Options
    My diary is open so you can see what I've been eating. It's only been a little over a week so I'm trying not to get too discouraged. I log religiously. I won't even lick a smear of peanutbutter off my finger because there's no way to measure it. My settings are currently set to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Maybe I'll try scaling back to the .5 lb/week option for a couple weeks then lower it again.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you aren't tracking your sodium, and some of the entries look like they might be pretty high in sodium, which will almost always make me retain water.

Just a thought. :)
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Don't change anything but your impatience for now. Your "gain" is not enough to reflect significant change. Remember this rule: if it's less than a 5lb change it isn't significant.
  • Tribesmama
    Options
    Just wondering if you got your weight moving again huni :)
  • dsnapp3
    dsnapp3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From what I can see on your diary of recent times, it looks like you are leaving quite a deficit and not necessarily eating your exercise calories. Also, in my opinion only, you look to be eating quite a bit of processed foods, sweets, etc. May need to focus on food choice as well.

Keep up the work!
  • ikearch
    ikearch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What time of day are you working out? Try first thing in the morning (crawl out of bed, stretch and exercise with cardio). If you're already doing that, try another time of day. Just my suggestion. When I needed to lose weight years ago, nothing really seemed to help until I changed when I exercised. The weight loss was immediate then.
    After looking at your diary, I'd suggest eating more fiber. Also, aside from protein shakes, try to not drink your calories. Just a suggestion.
  • katieme
    katieme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I went up 2Lbs this week I think the drinks I had on friday night contributed towards this in a big way. Keep going and stay positive as long as you know you are doing the right things you will see results :)
  • dragoncake79
    Options
    Have you measured yourself..sometimes weight fluctuates with hormones, water and muscles. Are you doing weight training?
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem. in my case i was working out and burning way more then i was eating, and my body was starving. so my advice is either eat more or exercise less.