Gym Membership

Options
I just signed up this weekend at Gold's Gym. Mostly because there's one right near my place. I walked in for my first workout and was so overwhelmed! There's soooooooo many weight machines! I have no idea what i should be using, how much, how often, weight, reps, ect. Makes me just want to stick to the treadmill, but i know i need to add strength training in. My arms and thighs are getting flabby from loosing 50+ lbs :-/

Can i get a little advice on the type of stuff i should be doing at the gym? I still have 30 lbs to go!

Replies

• soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I go to Golds gym, I love it but when i first walked in i was intimidated like you. I started off in the cardio cinema because it was dark and I could go at my own pace. Then I began taking classes, by the time i moved to weights I felt like a pro, i just began picking machines and workin it
  • ikearch
    ikearch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Study types of exercises and their movements. You'll want to focus on compound exercises (exercises meant to incorporate multiple muscles or areas of the body) such as lunges, squats, dumbbell press, etc. Bodybuilding.com has many exercises with instrutional videos on how they're performed and how many reps your target should be.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just recently joined a gym as well, Planet Fitness, this is the beginning of week 3.
    I do strength training (machines) for about 40 mins and then cardio the last 20 mins.

I alternate my strength training between arms and legs each day but always do cardio.
    I'm still a newbie myself so sorry if this explanation blows.

But there should be a trainer at Gold's Gym that can walk you through the machines and show you what to use and how.
    Don't be nervous, you are paying to be there, get your moneys worth :)
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how intimidating it can be. I didn't join a gym for nearly a year because of the intimidation factor.

I would maybe take a look at Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or check out t-nation (they have some decent routines you can take a look at).

A couple pieces of advice:

1. If you start a program, and don't like it, move on to the next one. No point in doing something you hate, if something else equally effective is more fun for you.
    2. Don't be afraid of the free weights. They are much better for you than machines.
    3. Lifting heavy is relative. My idea of "heavy" is different from yours, which is different from my cousin who has been lifting for many years.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have a free 1st session with a personal trainer (basically they try to upsell you to buy a package) but you can get them to write you a pretty basic workout and get info on your form, etc.

Good luck and congrats on getting past that fear!
    :D
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The hours i go the gym are nice, because it's not crammed full of people! I don't have to "wait in line' to use a machine lol I found that the treadmill there somehow connected to the HRM i was wearing. I didn't have to set anything, it just automatically found it and showed my accurate HR which was nice. Wish the one at home did that! lol I've found that I'm not "coordinated" enough to use the elliptical machines, i end up moving backwards somehow and have to concentrate too much!

I'm going in with a friend around 9 this morning, so while I'm there I'm going to see about a personal trainer trial and look at what classes they offer. Normally i go in around 6a, so I'm sure there will be more people there at 9a.
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    Decided to try out their personal trainer program. They had a special $29 for 7 sessions. Should give me a nice workout!!!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    $29 for 7 sessions? How do their trainers make anything?!!
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    It's a special "trial" membership. Afterwards it's $128 a month
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Don't let the gym overwhelm you. Just go and learn as you go. Watch YouTube videos. Just make sure you go.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    Go to the gym with a game plan, that is probably the most important thing..

Look online for exercises that you are interested in, and mess around with each one at your gym.

The worst thing you can do at a gym is not knowing what to do once you're there.

Good luck!