Les Mills Pump Workout

Options
Does anyone do this workout? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• rori_74
    rori_74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Planning to do it , and i'd like to know if any one got good results with it ?!!
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do this at the local YMCA and LOVE it! I have definition in my arms now and my legs are starting to look great which I have always struggled with. I do this class 3 times a week. Highly recommend it!
  • mobosco
    mobosco Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I' ve done a couple of rounds and really like it, motivating instructors and good music!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I love it, it's a great workout and a lot of fun. I do the in class version.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I do Pump once a week at the gym, and I really enjoy it. I like it to add variety to my routine, I like working out to music, I like the "choreography" aspect of it, and it really brings out my competitive side. Plus, when I was really new to weights it was helpful to see lifting moves demonstrated by an instructor and have someone there to correct my form, without feeling like there were a lot of eyes on me.

That being said, I feel like it's best when paired with other exercises. I do heavier weight lifting 2-3x a week in addition to Pump. I'd say that Pump fits into the "metabolic training" style of exercise, which uses low weights, high reps, and has a higher calorie burn than what most people refer to as "weight lifting." I'd suggest reading this article to learn a little more: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

Here's one of the more relevant quotes:
    Metabolic type weight training tends to generate a higher calorie burn than traditional low rep training, the glycogen depletion that occurs increases whole body fat oxidation, and the hormonal response is actually quite similar to interval training (in The Stubborn Fat Solution, this type of training can be used to kick off the more intense Stubborn Fat Protocols 1.0 and 2.0).

Of course, many find that their top end strength falls somewhat while dieting; as well, when people get very lean, joints often get a little bit wonky under heavy loads. The lighter loads used in metabolic type work can be beneficial in that regards as well.

So those are the pros for this type of training: increased calorie burn, a nice hormonal response, easier on the joints, depleting muscle glycogen enhances fat oxidation.

Here’s the bad.

As I’ve mentioned repeatedly on the site, the primary stimulus for muscle growth is progressive high tension overload (e.g. adding more weight to the bar over time). Without getting into a big old technical discussion of protein synthesis and breakdown here (you can read The Protein Book if you’re interested); I’ll simply say here that the high tension stimulus that builds muscle is the exact same high tension stimulus that will maintain muscle mass when you’re dieting.

And that’s the bad of metabolic type weight training: while it has certain benefits that I listed above, it is an insufficient stimulus, for maintaining muscle mass (with one exception). At least if used by itself.

That exception is beginners. Complete beginners, who haven’t built any real muscle mass in the first place don’t have to worry much about muscle loss while dieting (just about any training will maintain it).

But for trained individuals beyond the beginner stage, using metabolic type weight training exclusively on a diet is a recipe for disaster. Please note the use of the word ‘exclusively’ in that previous sentence. I’ll come back to this in a second.
  • skedge123
    skedge123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have taken part in a Body Pump class a few time but the last time resulted in a reoccurrence of a previous lower back injury/strain. I would recommend this class but be very aware of your posture/position when doing some of the faster, sudden motions or during squats. Also be warned that it does contain a whole Squat Track and a Lunge Track. I could not walk properly for a few days after my first class but it does get better and it is worthwhile sticking it out :).
  • lynnemurray589
    Options
    I do 3 classes a week, it's awesome and I can really see a change in my body, especially my legs and bum :)
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I do Pump twice a week at the gym. Absolutely love it! I've been doing it since July, and can definitely see a difference in my body. I highly recommend the class.
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do Les Mills Body Combat and I've taken the body pump before. Its very awesome! Its effective and certainly helps. You just have to be careful while using the weights =)
  • goodntentions
    goodntentions Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have many friends who have done it and absolutely love it. Please MSG me and I can answer any questions you have about it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind it's not strength training.

It's cardio based with light weights- but it doesn't fall under "strength training"

FYI

:)
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

It's cardio based with light weights- but it doesn't fall under "strength training"

FYI

Why not?
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Love love love Bodypump! I definitely saw increased muscle definition (especially the arms, quads & glutes) after religiously attending them for a couple of months despite it not being strength training by conventional definition. I go about 3 times a week & have been doing so for 2 years, still love it!

Definitely go light the first time & even so, be prepared for the most epic DOMS you will ever experience lol. Have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love it. It really helped tone me while losing fat. See my photos.
  • 2boo2
    2boo2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

FYI

I totally agree. If you don't know the correct form, this is not place to learn. I have heard from Body Pump instructors that they are not allowed to go up to people to correct their form because it puts people 'on the spot".

I took the class 3x week for 1 1/2 years. Now I don't and just do heavy lifts/ HIIT/ Crossfit etx. I have seen faster and more changes after I stopped doing BP.

If you ever watch BP class, there are so many people with the worse form ever. No one will ever correct them.

I thought I had good form. After Crossfit, I was informed that I was doing it wrong and that is why I felt pain. After Crossfitting, my "bad" BP habits were corrected. I am now stronger and fitter and less things hurt.

I know some people who swear by BP... Probably b/c they have not tried anything else.

Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

FYI

Why not?

Any sort of workout that requires double or triple digits is not strength training. It's muscular endurance.

If you are strength training you are doing 10-15 reps MAX. and 15 is really pushing it. After that it is really all about muscular endurance.

And strength and endurance are two TOTALLY different animals.

it is neither bad nor good- I am just pointing out that a lot of people consider it strength training- but it's not.

Tidbit
    A wide spectrum regimens are adopted to achieve different results, but the classic formula recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine reads as follows:
    8 to 12 repetitions of a resistance training exercise for each major muscle group at an intensity of 40% to 80% of a one-repetition max (RM) depending on the training level of the participant.
    Two to three minutes of rest is recommended between exercise sets to allow for proper recovery.
    Two to four sets are recommended for each muscle group [3]
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options

FYI

I totally agree. If you don't know the correct form, this is not place to learn. I have heard from Body Pump instructors that they are not allowed to go up to people to correct their form because it puts people 'on the spot".

I took the class 3x week for 1 1/2 years. Now I don't and just do heavy lifts/ HIIT/ Crossfit etx. I have seen faster and more changes after I stopped doing BP.

If you ever watch BP class, there are so many people with the worse form ever. No one will ever correct them.

I thought I had good form. After Crossfit, I was informed that I was doing it wrong and that is why I felt pain. After Crossfitting, my "bad" BP habits were corrected. I am now stronger and fitter and less things hurt.

I know some people who swear by BP... Probably b/c they have not tried anything else.

Good luck.

My pump instructors correct form all the time. I've had mine corrected or even been told to "stop swinging" during a track. If they do, they're trying to prevent injury or help you get the best out of your workout. I know it's awkward to be called out in class...but I'd rather feel on the spot for 2 seconds than be hurt so I can't go anymore!
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hiya! These programmes are good but I agree with people about technique. I was new to lifting when I did pump and picked up some questionable posture!

The cx worx and metafit are great though if you're at a gym that runs the full LM range. :)
  • 2boo2
    2boo2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

FYI

Good luck.

My pump instructors correct form all the time. I've had mine corrected or even been told to "stop swinging" during a track. If they do, they're trying to prevent injury or help you get the best out of your workout. I know it's awkward to be called out in class...but I'd rather feel on the spot for 2 seconds than be hurt so I can't go anymore!

That is great for you. The place I took BP has the "National trainers" teaching class. I have been to a lot of other gyms that teach BP and the same thing. Most don't correct the form. Besides when instructor is actually doing the moves themselves, hard for them to watch all the poor forms.

Like I said, I picked some "bad" habits at BP. It has taken a while to correct them. Thank goodness I have been able to correct them.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options

FYI

Good luck.

Likewise. I go 3x a week with different instructors & all three make an effort to correct peoples form. I myself learned how to deadlift properly from Bodypump & when I did them with heavier weights with a PT for the first time, he told me that I have the perfect deadlift form and some random guy working out next to us agreed with him :blushing:

Everyone has different experiences what with so many variables that affect the outcome. All my instructors would not hesitate to point out a bad form but they do so in a really nice way. Like I've mentioned before, go light and nail the form before graduating to heavier weights and you'll be fine! :smile: