Paralysis-->Losing 100 pounds --> Marathon!!! (pics)

Options

Replies

• Arthursmama
    Options
    Your story is amazing! You look so good and healthy! People like you are so inspiring and help me on my way. Thank you for sharing your story!
  • BlackandWhitePhotoOp
    Options
    I'm speechless ( with tears in my eyes) you are phenomenal!!!!
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just incredible! I admit, I shed a tear. Thanks for sharing this, very motivational!!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Wowsers!
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    My favorite mfp inspirational success story so far!
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    oh my, you had me in tears! Well done
  • Kyraiyne
    Kyraiyne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What a testament to the human spirit and perfect example of strength for your beautiful children!
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Thank you for sharing!
  • MsTru2U
    MsTru2U Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    *Tear* :cry:
    This is amazing! You are such an inspiration!!!! :flowerforyou: Thank you for sharing this moment with us
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I kept thinking about your story while on my walk this morning. I figured if you could run 26 miles, I could walk an extra lap. Instead of 25 - 45 minutes, I walked/jogged for 74. Thank you for the motivation :)
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wonderfully inspiring! Congrats on your success and good luck in the future!
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You made me tear up !! SOOOOO proud of your accomplishment and determination overall ...most would have given up , had an excuse , but not you ! Your a true hero ...and inspiration :)
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Less than three years ago, this was me:

December 2010. 270+ pounds. Mom of three kids ages 4 and under. Age 30. Height 5'8"
    0489783B-9BE1-4FDC-9265-26F8C5C8EC28-742-000000641AB10AAD_zpse49a2d74.jpg

Six months after this photo was taken, in June 2011, I had a herniated disc rupture into my spine, due to being significantly overweight. I had emergency surgery: laminectomy, discectomy and decompression of the spinal cord. The injury left me paralyzed from the waist down. I spent about a month in the hospital, working daily with therapists to regain strength as I regained sensation in my legs.

I was released home with a walker. After another 2 months at home, in order to prevent the injury from recurring, I decided to get healthy. I started using MFP to watch what I ate, about 1600 calories a day, and I began very slow daily exercise. The first day I walked around my block with a cane. Really really really slowly. I kept it up every day and added in more speed or distance as my body could tolerate it.

Most of the sensation slowly came back into my legs over the next 5 months. Right now, I can still not feel down the back of my right leg, nor the bottom of my right foot, and three of the toes.

My daily walks turned into walk/run intervals, and then just straight up jogging or running. By February 2012, I had signed up for my first 5k race.

Within one year, I had lost over 100 pounds. And then I managed to maintain it for another year by exercising.

6bb4dc5c-88b7-4856-ae26-150d3d798352_zps87e63a63.jpg

In April 2013, I ran my first half marathon and finished in 2:24:59. I am not fast at all, but I am consistent. In July I began training for my first full marathon, the Philly Marathon which is held in November. As part of my training, in September 2013, I ran another half marathon, this time finishing in 2:19:02.

The marathon training runs went up to 22.8 miles at our longest run. I trained the long runs with my best friend from college, and we ran the race side by side yesterday. It was the first full marathon that either of us had done.

We ran the Philadelphia Marathon, yesterday, November 17, 2013.

We ran by my mom at miles 1 and 5.
    928D0E6F-D7A0-4F79-9FFF-018E3351D82F-1748-00000181364C6CFD_zpsb6d7db41.jpg

One of the most memorable parts was running by Jefferson University Hospital I think around mile 6. That is the hospital where I had my emergency surgery just 29 months before. It was truly amazing to me to be running by in a marathon.

The first 14 miles were a breeze considering how much we trained. This distance was not that much of a challenge anymore. We only stopped once for the bathroom, and that was at mile 14 where there was no line, we just ran into the porta-potties and were out again in 30 seconds. Miles 17-19 hurt a little.

We ran by the third of our trio of our best friends (she is 6 months pregnant!) at mile 20. It was just lovely to see a friendly face that far into the race. She screamed and jumped up and down and stepped out and we ran up and hugged her and kept running.
    425BCD12-E34B-41F8-90A5-BFD648BA194E-742-00000063BBEEFE35_zpsa4e2ca5b.jpg

I felt rejuvenated from 20-24. Got a side stitch at mile 24, walked for only about 90 seconds, and then ran to the end. So aside from a handful of water stops, and that little bit at mile 24, we ran the entire thing!!!

At mile 26, our husbands and daughters were on the side, cheering and yelling for us. My legs were completely on auto-pilot at that point. I started to tear up knowing that we were actually going to finish this. After we crossed the finish like we cried and hugged each other. Then we met up with our families and I started crying again, all happy happy tears.

It was INCREDIBLE.

We had a few goals in mind before we started. In order of importance:
    1. To race with no significant injury.
    2. To finish the entire 26.2 miles.
    3. To run or jog the whole thing.
    4. To finish in under 5 hours.

We got pretty close, with a finishing time of 5:07:30. That's an 11:43 pace over 26.2 miles.

Here I am with my family at the end.
    A237416C-7F70-4481-B5F6-9C5A468E2E16-742-00000063FEF9D1FD_zps0a96d443.jpg

Last night I laid in bed with my sore legs and blistered feet and chafed right armpit (wth is that about? lol) and I just laid there and enjoyed the pain. Knowing that I can FEEL the soreness, and that it's from an accomplishment like running a marathon, well, I was just overjoyed that I was able to feel it at all. I'm really really lucky.

I currently work part time at the YMCA, leading the running club twice a week, and once a week I teach a beginner class called "Moving with Joy" for beginner runners/walkers, with the end goal of training for a 5k race in 9 weeks. The programs are going SO well. I'm very grateful to have a job that I simply adore. I also volunteer twice a week for the elementary school boys running club. They're also preparing for a 5k race which is next month.

And with all that being said, I'm here to tell you don't set any limits on your goals. I was the kid who was always DEAD LAST doing the mile run in gym class in high school. I couldn't even run a quarter mile lap around the track without stopping because I couldn't catch my breath. And yesterday I finished a marathon. I came in number 9,164/10,876 overall. 3,883/4,882 for all females, and 692/883 for my age group. NOT last, and I did not get carried off on a stretcher.

So, set small goals, do it one step at a time. Don't give up, and NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading!!
    Joy

WOW! What an inspiration! I found myself tearing up at several points in your posts. Thank you so much for sharing your story!
  • reegordon
    reegordon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you! Your story is very encouraging! Keep telling it to all who will hear because you never know how many lives you may change with it. Congratulations on running your first marathon as well!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    MY HERO! Look at what you have accomplished! I am so very proud of you!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration! :)
  • daellio
    daellio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sitting at my desk at work in tears. You are a huge inspiration! What you have accomplished is amazing, really honestly amazing. I have multiple sclerosis, and my husband and I recently did a modified version of couch-to-5k. I am now up to 6 miles that I can run without stopping, averaging 11-12 minutes a mile. My end goal is to also run a marathon.. and I see you, and how much you have overcome.. it really is something I needed to hear today. You really are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing this, complete with pictures. Good for you! And you look so strong and healthy. Your family has got to be so proud. :)
  • Wishusdonna
    Wishusdonna Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Fantastic - well done!
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Wow! Well done on your achievements! You really are an inspiration :flowerforyou:
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for my morning cry!! Happy cry of course.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!