HAPPY NATIONAL OATMEAL DAY!!!!

Options
I was reading Kath Eats Real Food (www.katheats.com) this morning and found out today is national oatmeal day! I just finished my bowl of steel cuts augmented with frozen wild blueberries, a shake of cinnamon, a tab of butter and a dollop of raw honey.

Have you had your oats yet today?????????

happy eating y'all
JoJo

Replies

• UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    ooo. love steel cut, but sometimes in too much of a hurry!
    thanks for the info - is National Oatmeal Day a new holiday, kind of like Speak Like a Pirate Day?

I tried that 3 ingredient pancake recipes that someone here on MFP posted the other day.
    Quick cook oats / cottage cheese / egg white. It was g-o-o-o-o-d!

Have a good Friday all!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yep!! Had my oats before work....with raisins and honey!! YUMMY!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    and here I had a bowl of cream of wheat. guess I will have oatmeal for lunch. lol
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot on Sunday and reheat individual amounts each morning in the microwave. 1 cup of dry steel cuts, 4 cups water, 1 tsp salt. Oven @ 325. Cook for 1 or 2 hours until water absorbed....I stir every now and then to make sure its not sticking to the bottom.

In the am when I reheat I add 1/3 cup of wild frozen blueberries, a shake of cinnamon, 1/2 a TB of butter and 1 TB Raw Honey nmmmmmmmmmmmm nmmmmmmmmmmmm gooooooooooooooooood
  • saraemart
    Options
    I was wondering what to have for breakfast.
  • Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    Options
    I have oatmeal every morning :)
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    Cook the oats overnight in crock pot. Yummmm......and Easy!
  • jojoworks
    Options
    Kath Eats Real Food has a Tribute To Oats on her blog: www.katheats.com, also found this link about oats: http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles/oatmeal/oats.asp

FYI, last year at my annual physical I received the news that I was border-line diabetic due to my weight, my high cholesterol and my high blood sugars....I was told to get it under control. I started myfitnesspal and a new approach to eating shortly thereafter. My new approach included a bowl of steel cut oats every morning during the cold weather season (which is half the year here in Minnesota, rofl). At my annual physical this year my doctor was very pleased and quite impressed, my weight was down, my blood sugars in the normal range and I'd dropped my LDL by 30 points!!!

We can do it kids!!! I firmly believe that to make it work though, ya gotta LOVE what you're eating.
    so, with that being said,
    happy eating!
    JoJo
  • GunNut37086
    GunNut37086 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is my first week on MFP and I have intentionally avoided oatmeal for breakfast all week. When I eat oatmeal for breakfast (8 am), I'm starving by 10:30 and wind up eating too much at lunch. I've read that this is b/c oatmeal is all carbs, but guys like Dr Oz ("You On a Diet") say it's a great idea to eat this every day for breakfast.

This has me puzzled...tons of folks eat oatmeal for breakfast and lose weight. Are they all starving before lunch like me? Do you/they just fight through it and suffer?
  • jojoworks
    Options
    Hey Gun Nut,

I'm guessing you're a guy....maybe you need a bigger portion? Also, do you add anything to your oatmeal? I add fruit, butter, honey and cinnamon so maybe that rounds it out some. I eat around 8am and am hungry by 11. Many folks have small snacks between meals to tide them over. I usually don't snack between breakfast and lunch but I always save some veggies from my lunch to munch on for my nasty evening commute home (gawd I hate rush hour traffic).

Don't suffer!!! One of my mottos is ya gotta eat to lose weight and ya gotta love what ya eat (sounds oxymoronic, I know, but you won't succeed at the long term effort if you don't like it and can't sustain it). One of the first things I learned here at myfitnesspal is that you have to eat breakfast (I NEVER used to eat breakfast).

happy eating and good luck!
    JoJo
  • karen1003
    Options
    Some great ideas here! I have steel cut oats every morning with flax seed and a bit of organic brown sugar. I also cook them on Sunday night on the stovetop for 35 minutes...I didn't know you could bake them or put them in the crock pot!
    Thanks for the reminder on cinnamon- it's so good for the body- I just forget to use it!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    This is my first week on MFP and I have intentionally avoided oatmeal for breakfast all week. When I eat oatmeal for breakfast (8 am), I'm starving by 10:30 and wind up eating too much at lunch. I've read that this is b/c oatmeal is all carbs, but guys like Dr Oz ("You On a Diet") say it's a great idea to eat this every day for breakfast.

This has me puzzled...tons of folks eat oatmeal for breakfast and lose weight. Are they all starving before lunch like me? Do you/they just fight through it and suffer?

Oatmeal on its own will not last until lunch unless you eat a BIG portion. If you add a protein source to your breakfast it will hold you over longer. I usually have 2 boiled eggs (with or without yolk) with my oats for breakfast and I can hold off my next meal 4-6 hours. If I just have the oats I am looking for something to eat after 2-3 hours.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    I have never had oatmeal, just one of those things I have decided I don't like
  • GunNut37086
    Options
    Hey Gun Nut,

I'm guessing you're a guy....maybe you need a bigger portion? Also, do you add anything to your oatmeal? I add fruit, butter, honey and cinnamon so maybe that rounds it out some. I eat around 8am and am hungry by 11. Many folks have small snacks between meals to tide them over. I usually don't snack between breakfast and lunch but I always save some veggies from my lunch to munch on for my nasty evening commute home (gawd I hate rush hour traffic).

Don't suffer!!! One of my mottos is ya gotta eat to lose weight and ya gotta love what ya eat (sounds oxymoronic, I know, but you won't succeed at the long term effort if you don't like it and can't sustain it). One of the first things I learned here at myfitnesspal is that you have to eat breakfast (I NEVER used to eat breakfast).

happy eating and good luck!
    JoJo

When I eat oatmeal, it's always Active Lifestyle brand weight control formula; raisin, apple, & walnut. I don't add anything to it and I always have 2 pkgs. These pkgs are bigger than most. The box weight is higher than most instant AND it has 8 pkgs instead of 10. Maybe you're right, though. I could try 3, but that would be 510 calories...ouch. I'll figure something out.
  • GunNut37086
    Options
    Oatmeal on its own will not last until lunch unless you eat a BIG portion. If you add a protein source to your breakfast it will hold you over longer. I usually have 2 boiled eggs (with or without yolk) with my oats for breakfast and I can hold off my next meal 4-6 hours. If I just have the oats I am looking for something to eat after 2-3 hours.

I'm glad it isn't only me.