Thinking about first Half Marathon (Reading 2014)

So I'm thinking about signing up to a Half Marathon. Although in the last 6 months I've signed up to 2 races that I haven't turned up to due to lack of training.

Just curious to hear from the runners out there if you think i could realistically train in the time. It's 2nd March 2014, so 3 and a half months. I currently run a 5k perhaps 2-3 times a week in about 31 minutes. I have run a couple of 10k's (in about 1hr 5mins) and the furthest I have EVER run was 7miles earlier this year. I'm not a terrible runner, but I'm pretty much ready to collapse by 45 mins or so and just push through.

Granted I don't really 'train' runs. I just run, no tempo, no fast/slow or anything. I just start running at a pace and finish at around that pace or bit slower. So 3 and a half months.

I am also a third of the way into the P90x schedule and cycle 12 miles to work and back almost each day (24 total) but that will probably slack off in winter. I think I could possibly fit training runs in, but just wondering if I'm setting myself unrealistic goals (as usual).

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    I think you have enough time to finish a half by then, just don't expect to hit a certain finish time. Your goal should be just to finish it. But follow a plan like one from Hal Higdon. You seem to have a good fitness base so I think you can handle it.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    I started running (read, NEVER WAS A RUNNER EVER EVER EVER) on 3/1/13 using Couch to 5k. I completed my first half marathon on 11/9/13.

DEFINITELY doable!!! There are tons of good training plans. Hal Higdon, Galloway (if you like the run/walk method), or even any number of apps like Runkeeper have training plans.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    I signed up for my first half marathon when I could only run about two miles at a time, so you can definitely do it. But if you don't think you will train and show up for the race I wouldn't sign up - but I definitely think you could handle it!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    I went from not having run for 12 months due to calf injury. Started C25K Jan this year and did my first ever halfie in Oxford this Oct... I think is sounds like you have a good base fitness level so you should be fine.
    I would offer to run it with you as it is local to me but I am at a wedding on the 1st and I don't think I'll be seeing much of the 2nd!!
    Good luck and if you want to add me feel free to do so. I am intending to do the Dorney Lake halfie on 22nd March 2014 and then already got my place for the Bournemouth Marathon 6th Oct 2014... Jules xx
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    We just signed up for our first half in Warwick on March 23rd!

Havent run in a year, last year we ran the 10k at Blenheim palace, and we've got 3 weeks in December off for our wedding/honeymoon so unlikely to get long runs in. Good luck - I think your fitness level is certainly going to help your training!
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    I'm the same as you run 5k 3 times a week and have done a couple of 10ks just over the hour. I've just signed up for the Liverpool half in march so I hope it can be done! I've also signed up for rat race dirty weekend in a fit of madness so really need to be able to finish that half...
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    I'm about the same, run 5k 3/4 times a week, and workout with various Jillian Michaels dvd's 5/6 times a week. I am seriously considering the Reading half too. I think it is a doable goal, I won't be bothered about my time, and I'm a walk/run/walk/run person and have no shame about that!

So maybe we should just both bite the bullet and do it!
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Last year I went from a 5K base to my first Half Marathon in about 3.5 months. I needed to stop and walk for about 3 minutes between miles 11 and 12, but the weather was unseasonably hot and muggy, and it was just a tough day! I think you can do it! But you REALLY have to stick to your guns and get those long training runs in. Without them, you're toast.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    I'd say you could do this fairly comfortably if you put in some training. cycling 24 miles and running 5k 3 times a week will have built a base.
    I'm an overweight lump, didn't do enough training, didnt' take it seriously enough and my longest run was only about 5 or 6 miles beforehand but I still completed it.

2 bits of advice:
    - the drum band under the road bridge are really really loud - but great fun and keep you going.
    - when you run up the dual carriage way to Majeski stadium remember you've still got a mile or so to go when you get there, the course takes an evil right turn just yards from the stadium and sends you down and back again. I'd lost sight of the markers and thought I had nearly finished - I could have cried running away from the stadium.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    I am in almost the exact same situation, am thinking about a half sometime in the spring, but have never done more than a 10k. Similar current workouts. I think I'm going to give it a go as well. Good luck!
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    2 bits of advice:
    - the drum band under the road bridge are really really loud - but great fun and keep you going.
    - when you run up the dual carriage way to Majeski stadium remember you've still got a mile or so to go when you get there, the course takes an evil right turn just yards from the stadium and sends you down and back again. I'd lost sight of the markers and thought I had nearly finished - I could have cried running away from the stadium.

How great to get advice from someone who has run it already, thank you :) I feel all excited to get going now, off I go to sign up!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Can you do it? Based on your current fitness level/activity.....YES! The bigger question is WILL you? Jumping on a half marathon training plan will require you to change up some of what you are doing. You will slowly have to add mileage to a long run each week. If you think you are up to doing that during the winter months than DO it!!! If you think you'll slack off and waste your money signing up....wait until your heart is really in it. But, based on the limited information you provided, you are WAY ahead of where I was when I decided to run my first half. My vote is to go for it!
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Yes you can! I signed up for a half right after a 5K when I knew I was serious about running. My longest run at that time was about 4 miles and had about 4 months to train.