workout before or after dinner?

Options
Is it best to workout before dinner or after or does it matter?

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different! If you have more energy after eating dinner, go for that. If you're fine then before dinner. I do strength training after dinner when my daughter goes to sleep. Only 'cus I do cardio early in the morning and have no time for strength training before my daughter wakes up.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I have not idea but I like working out before because I try to 1-2 hours before I work out because I get tummy cramps if I dont. Also eating after you work out your metabolism is revved up so I believe the fuel is used more efficiently.

I would think it would depend on what is best for you, or when you have the most energy.
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I won't work out after eating unless there is a minimum of a 2 hours gap between finishing the meal and starting exercise, I just feel better during the exercise this way.

If I've already exercised I'm quite happy to begin a meal anything from 30 mins later, as long as I have cooled down I'll always be ready for food!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i burn more if i walk about 30 minutes after dinner; it doesn't affect my evening or sleep. everyone is different tho...
  • inkchic78
    Options
    Yup. Honestly, there is no scientific proof of when its best to workout during the day. So, the best bet is to do it when either a) its most convenient for you and/or b) when you prefer to work out. If you work out after dinner, i agree with the previous poster - wait a few hours after you eat.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I work out before dinner. But I usually grab a few ounces of baked chicken or a protien bar before I get to the gym.
  • mikeivb
    mikeivb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I workout before dinner, i find it hard to workout after eating dinner, unless its a few hours later. I'l usually have something small before working out though, like a banana and a protein shake.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    Are you losing weight or building muscle or a mixture of both? At my health club we have classes and one of the teachers explained that our bodys are like hybrid cars. We use both body fat(electro) and calories(gas) to support our exercises. So what I do is eat a mid-size dinner and after my cardio/weights programs I eat some fruit to finish off the day. I especially like to have a bag of green grapes or a banana.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    Sorry didnt finish my thought about the hybrid... So you want to have enough calories to get you up to 'highway' speeds but then you want to shift over to the body fat to take you through. Since the goal is to burn the body fat and not just the calories I just ate.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I eat after my workout, but drink a protein shake about 30 minutes before heading to the gym. I had read about saj's theory and it seemed to make sense. In reality, if I come home from work and eat dinner there is almost no chance I am getting up to go to the gym. I get off the train, pick up my kids and head right to the gym.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I like to work out after dinner, it lets me get in that last bit calorie burn before the day is through.