salt substitute? Is it worth it?

Options
collingmommy
collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
so I am trying to watch how much sodium I take in but no matter what I eat there is a bunch of sodium. Wondering if anybody has tried using the no salt, or the salt substitutes that many grocery stores carry? I'm just curious if there has been many reviews done with this, and I'm just wanting it to use pretty much to bake with and considering that we're in the baking season now would be the prime time for me to get some reviews maybe and try it! oh and while I'm on the subject of sodium, does anybody know of a good turkey sandwich meat that is not loaded with salt? I have tried numerous ones from Walmart, Krogers, and other small sites, they all tend to have any where are up from 380 gram of sodium to over 600 grams. I'm really wanting to try something that is not a salt block.

Replies

• kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I've never used it but my mom did and she liked it. She made her own though. I don't have the recipe at the moment, but I could get it for you if you would like.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I use No Salt. I was never a really big "salter" of my food, but when a recipe calls for it, it comes in handy. I don't notice a weird taste or anything, no bad reviews here. My BF actually uses it too, and he's weird about alternatives to anything.

Not too sure about the lunch meat thing, I've also been on a similar quest. I'm pretty sure the only option is to roast a turkey and slice it. But I'm too lazy for all of that :happy:
  • JuliaLee67
    Options
    most of the people in my family are either diabetic/hypertensive or have to be very careful with what they eat so they don't develop either, and since I cook for them I have to be mindful of sodium levels. Boar's Head and Hillshire Farms both make good lower-sodium lunch meats and if you want to cook your own turkey, look for turkeys that don't say 'self-basting' or 'brined' on the package. And I really like the salt-free herb seasoning mixes, mrs. dash makes a bunch of good ones and I recently discovered their salt-free chili mix, it's amazing. [as for the potassium chloride-type salt substitutes, ive never used those as they are not recommended for diabetic folks, but I know a few people who use it and they like the stuff.]
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't use them, I've gotten used to not salting my foods, and eating lower sodium foods.

Just wanted to say make sure to check any medications before using a salt sub. There are certain hypertension medications that interact with salt subs. Just an FYI! :bigsmile:
  • KarenK37
    KarenK37 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that I have high blood pressure and am looking for salt alternatives. I am going to try the Mrs.Dash and just curbing my salt use in home recipes. I noticed too that all the lunch meats are loaded with salt. It makes life difficult when you are trying to watch your salt intake and have to pack lunch for work. UGH! and I noticed too that all the canned soups are full of salt.
  • okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The only concern that I have with them (I use No Salt occasionally, and my husband uses it all the time), is that instead of sodium chloride, it is potassium chloride. Too much potassium in your diet can cause irregularities in your heart beat.

Maybe I would run it by your doc? A quick phone call can't hurt. Good luck!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    dont do it if your kidneys arent working right
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I saw a 'homemade celery salt' recipe on this forum. It's where you dehydrate celery and grind it. It's salty but a natural salt.

Also, I LOVE Mrs. Dash. They have a fiesta lime seasoning that rocks my world. :D
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Morton's lite salt is 1/2 Kcl and 1/2 NaCl (approx). No salt salt is 100% KCl.

KCl is Potassium Chloride, potassium is required by the body but healthy kidneys control the levels in the body with no additional help from us--i.e. we don't need supplements and we don't need to keep to a restricted level of potassium.

The salt substitutes are fine for healthy bodies. Not so good for people with gi issues that hinder electrolyte absorption or those with kidney disease. In those cases need to check with your doctor/dietician.

Avoid processed food--they have much added salt. Cook everything at home, and don't add salt. Easy to do but may take getting used to. I don't care but boy do I get complaints from the family if I don't salt the food I am cooking.

Another suggestion from the peanut gallery that I have heard is to substitute spices for salt--if you are talented in cooking this is a great idea. Watch to ensure that the spices don't include added Sodium Chloride.

Can't comment on the celery salt. Don't know anything about it. Good luck eating food that tastes good :)
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    hey so I have restless leg syndrome and my legs tend to cramp up on me it night do too I'm guessing lack of potassium so I wonder if I should even attempt the no salt substitute? I was just going to use it for baking biscuits and such.. humm. Maybe a call to adr it's in order.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    hey so I have restless leg syndrome and my legs tend to cramp up on me it night do too I'm guessing lack of potassium so I wonder if I should even attempt the no salt substitute? I was just going to use it for baking biscuits and such.. humm. Maybe a call to adr it's in order.

Most salt substitutes contain potassium which is good for leg cramping.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I thought low potassium caused heart irregularities not the other way around???