Should I work out with a cold?

Options
Recently, I have gotten into a workout routine where I go to the gym after work and jog on the treadmill, stretch, crunches, etc. Today of all days, I really need to exercise because we had A TON of really unhealthy food at my office for a Thanksgiving Pot Luck.

My issue is that last night I started coming down with a bad cold where I am congested, head hurts, throat is a bit sore, and I'm really tired. I feel like I should get my workout in because I don't want to get off track, especially since I ate badly today. But is it more beneficial to get extra rest? Should I go to the gym anyway and just take it really easy?

Opinions are appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Extra rest, for sure. One meal didn't get you there and won't set you back that badly. Exercising while sick could lay you out flat for a while, though.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Recently, I have gotten into a workout routine where I go to the gym after work and jog on the treadmill, stretch, crunches, etc. Today of all days, I really need to exercise because we had A TON of really unhealthy food at my office for a Thanksgiving Pot Luck.

My issue is that last night I started coming down with a bad cold where I am congested, head hurts, throat is a bit sore, and I'm really tired. I feel like I should get my workout in because I don't want to get off track, especially since I ate badly today. But is it more beneficial to get extra rest? Should I go to the gym anyway and just take it really easy?

Most will recommend rest, but I find some light work and some time in the steam room knocks the crap out of whatever I'm coming down with... Reason being you're raising your blood temp (aka your body's natural response to infection), which subsequently helps fight your ailment.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I work out at home so I can't really extend an opinion about the gym. However, when I'm feeling sick I still try to get some sort of exercise in - even if 20 minutes just to keep everything going. I would imagine going to the gym would be different though since your around so many people I would just try to do something at home during the times that you aren't feeling good just to prevent spreading or getting anything worse from someone else?

Good Luck!
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ive heard it both ways. I am a firm believer that if you are sick you should stay out of public places like the gym so you dont spread germs. Doesnt mean you cant work out. Sweating is good for when your sick as long as you drink excessive amounts of water. I am currently fighting a wicked cold myself and am trying to do sit up and push ups in my room.

Bottom line is you should do what you think is right for you. Feel better soon =)
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Because exercise may help to boost immune function, it's usually safe to exercise with a cold as long as you listen to your body.

Still, if you exercise with a cold, it's important to listen to your body. Sometimes cold medications such as decongestants can increase your heart rate. In addition, your heart rate is increased with exercise. The combination of exercise and decongestants can cause your heart to pump very hard. You may become short of breath and have difficulty breathing.

If you have asthma and a cold, make sure you talk with your doctor before you exercise. If your asthma symptoms are worse with a cold, you'll need to use caution. Exercising with a cold and asthma may cause increased respiratory symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. If you have a fever with a cold, exercise may stress your body even more. That's why it's important to wait a few days to get back to your regular exercise regimen. Working out too hard with a cold could stress your body, causing you to feel worse. This additional stress may hinder your recovery.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've heard for certain is that if you are running a fever, working out can increase it (sometimes significantly) and of course a really high fever isn't a good thing.

If you aren't running a fever, I'd go for it, just take it a bit easier than you normally would. I find that getting up and moving helps knock out whatever is ailing me.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Exercise, sure, just keep the intensity low...however have some common courtesy for your fellow humans who are not sick and PLEASE KEEP YOUR GERMS OUTTA THE GYM!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Most will recommend rest, but I find some light work and some time in the steam room knocks the crap out of whatever I'm coming down with... Reason being you're raising your blood temp (aka your body's natural response to infection), which subsequently helps fight your ailment.

I'm in this camp right here, if I feel a cold coming on I don't hesitate to get a good sweat going. I feel like crap while I'm doing it, but a good workout knocks a cold in the dirt for me.

Rigger
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    also if it is muscle training you are doing i say rest since your strength and performance will likely be diminished while you're battling a cold,especially if you've missed out on quality sleep plus, the muscle strain required to lift weights can cause sinus pressure and headaches to feel even worse . maybe just do your cardio ?
  • denniskillz
    denniskillz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The rule is if its a head cold you can workout, but if its a chest cold you need rest or you can have a very light workout. Visiting teh steam room always helps.
  • forestfoxy
    Options
    I know if I feel sick, I do not go to the gym at all. I had a friend go to the gym when she was sick and it didn't end well. :( When I'm sick, I usually start with a walk around my neighborhood to at least get my heart rate up. That way, I can always turn back if I'm feeling bad or get worse, but I can set small goals to finish. If I'm feeling a little better, I'll add a few jog/walk intervals. Don't overdo it. Even a little will go a long way. Start out small and see where it will take you. You might even surprise yourself. Feel better soon.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Ok two things:

Rest is as important if not more important than exercise. When in doubt, rest.

Do not bring disease into the gym. This should also apply to workplaces. If you are sick, stay home.

It is a huge breaking of gym etiquette IMO to bring your sickness to the public. It should be right up there with not re-racking the weights and hitting on women in the middle of their bench press. Don't do it!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You could still do light exercise like yoga and walking but you definitely need to get your rest and relax otherwise the cold will get worse and won't go away
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I do but I'm crazy so..yehhh there's that lol

Nahh actually I find that working out while sick actually helps me. When I get warmed up my symptoms begin to dissappear as long as I drink alot of water Im usually good. But I dont really get like the flu or something serious so i cant really relate but rest is also important.

Hope that helps,

Tof
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I always do, and I find it helps get rid of it quicker. The only time I wouldn't work out with a cold, is if it moves to the chest.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Exercise stresses the body. If you workout with a cold, your body will recover more slowly. That said, if it's really not that bad to begin with, then go for it.

Also, working out now because of your dinner or working out in the future are the same thing. Calories consumed over time v. calories burned over time. So, do what you think is best for your health. Exercise is supposed to make you better, not just kick your *kitten*.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Do NOT go to the gym.

Seriously.

The people that go to the gym will be very happy you stayed home instead of going there with your sickness and infecting everyone else who is working out. The last thing I want is to be running or lifting next to someone who is sneezing and hacking all over the place thus infecting me with whatever cold you have.

Stay home. For the love all that is good Stay. Home.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ok two things:

Rest is as important if not more important than exercise. When in doubt, rest.

Do not bring disease into the gym. This should also apply to workplaces. If you are sick, stay home.

It is a huge breaking of gym etiquette IMO to bring your sickness to the public. It should be right up there with not re-racking the weights and hitting on women in the middle of their bench press. Don't do it!

QFT! Some turd came to my group rotation class sick last week. Got their hands all over the equipment and infected half the class. Blargh! I had enough common sense to stay out of the gym and get my workouts in at home for the next few days as a courtesy to my gym mates.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get over bronchitis for 5 weeks now because I was stubborn. If I had rested in the beginning, it probably wouldn't have progressed to bronchitis in the first place. Do yourself a favor and rest.