NSVs FTW

Options
As my profile states, I gave up the scale months ago when I gave up the obsession with weight loss, and just decided to let it be a side effect of overall fitness.
Ive seen a lot of success since April (profile pic for reference), but this past weekend 4 things happened that made me feel REALLY good.

1) I had visited a friend back in August who gave me a pair of jeans that were too small. They barely made it up my thighs. We decided they would be my goal jeans for New Years- well, they fit this weekend with ZERO muffin top. NSV WIN.

2) Stopped at WalMart for a fleece--- Saw an AWESOME boys zip up I wanted, but there was no XL and the L looked precarious-- and it totally fit and I love it.

3) I volunteered at the World's Toughest Mudder this weekend and ordered myself a size LARGE shirt to fit over my sweater and hoodie. They were all out, so I had to choose between a Medium and and XL...I went with the Medium and it fit more than comfortably. NSV WIN

4) At the same event, they were giving out free "Tough Mudder" Army shirts, but only had size smalls- I grabbed one VERY tiny looking shirt and figured I'd keep it as a goal shirt...except, when I tried in on at home, IT FIT.

I realized 2 things this weekend-- ONE- After years of yo-yo dieting, I have had more success this past year than ever before. I have shifted my focus to HEALTH and FITNESS instead of a number, and that number has had ZERO control over me. It's been liberating and absolutely wonderful.
TWO- I, just as I'm sure many of you, have NO idea what I actually look like. I grabbed for Larges and Xtra Larges, and guffawed at clothing that clearly WAS my size afterall. I have NO IDEA what size this "new" body is. I'm only halfway to where I want to be...this is going to be an interesting journey...

Anyone else have any awesome NSVs? Am I the only one who still sees themselves A LOT bigger than they are after they've lost weight? How do you reconcile the "new you" with the person you're used to seeing?

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hooray!!! That's awesome! I had some great NSVs this week. My favorite was seeing a friend who I've seen periodically throughout my weight-loss journey. This time when I saw him, though, the first thing he said to me was "did you lose, like, a s--t ton of weight?" YES. YES I DID!!

I also pulled out my winter wardrobe over the weekend. My old jeans that didn't fit last year fit like a glove this year, whereas the "fat" jeans I bought in the interim are falling off and just look dumpy. Today I pulled on a sweater I bought last year and remember being kind of short, and it's not short at all! Amazing what a disappearing gut can do. Woop woop!

And for the OP, you are not the only one. I lost quite a bit of weight several years ago and it took forever to recognize I was a smaller person. Now I have trouble realizing I'm a bigger person (my weight shot back up about two years ago). I keep picking up clothes for the old eep, only to have to put them back for a larger size. Very frustrating. I'm nearly to the point where I actually am the size I think of myself as again. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain it for the long haul this time.

Who else has a NSV??
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSVs!!!

I totally agree about having no idea what size I am. I was around a size 22 for 15 years so that's the size pants and jeans I think I 'need' and I have to constantly remind myself those are too big. Sometimes when I am doing laundry, I'll look at my clothes coming out of the dryer and think "aww crap it shrunk!" because everything looks so small...even though they're still XL, 16 and 18 mostly...it's so much smaller than 3X.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hooray!!! That's awesome! I had some great NSVs this week. My favorite was seeing a friend who I've seen periodically throughout my weight-loss journey. This time when I saw him, though, the first thing he said to me was "did you lose, like, a s--t ton of weight?" YES. YES I DID!!

I also pulled out my winter wardrobe over the weekend. My old jeans that didn't fit last year fit like a glove this year, whereas the "fat" jeans I bought in the interim are falling off and just look dumpy. Today I pulled on a sweater I bought last year and remember being kind of short, and it's not short at all! Amazing what a disappearing gut can do. Woop woop!

And for the OP, you are not the only one. I lost quite a bit of weight several years ago and it took forever to recognize I was a smaller person. Now I have trouble realizing I'm a bigger person (my weight shot back up about two years ago). I keep picking up clothes for the old eep, only to have to put them back for a larger size. Very frustrating. I'm nearly to the point where I actually am the size I think of myself as again. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain it for the long haul this time.

Who else has a NSV??

That's awesome! Nothing like having someone else acknowledge your weight loss. It's like HELL YES!!!

My winter clothes from last year look awful on me too..I'm living in sweater dresses because my pants make me look like a sloppy mess.
    Similarly to you, I lose a ton of weight a few years back, but then I maintained for 3 years at what was my pre-pregnancy weight, so it was a weight/size I was used to. I adjusted to that smaller size fairly well-- This new size is new territory for me, and I think I like it!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am doing laundry, I'll look at my clothes coming out of the dryer and think "aww crap it shrunk!" because everything looks so small...

Hahahahaha, that's great!
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    clothes coming out of the dryer and think "aww crap it shrunk!"

Love it!
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    OP ~ great NSVs! I think I read somewhere that it takes up to a year for your mind to accept the new you. I still find myself doubting whether I'll fit into a restaurant booth, if the chair is sturdy enough, turn sideways to go through openings, etc. Don't get me wrong...I have a long way to go until I reach my desired fitness level but I'm nearly to a "normal" size.

wishing continued success on your healthful journey!
  • mhoss101
    mhoss101 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.. I am someone who is focused on the number.. I am slowly turning away from that though.. I live on the bottom floor and have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the car and one day, my husband said.. "You don't complain about the steps anymore.." which made me realize my body is changing and I am getting into shape. Look forward to the journey and learning a lot about myself.. Cheers to everyone making the change!
  • mscountrygirl39456
    mscountrygirl39456 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    GREAT NSV!!!!!

Here's mine...... I DON'T HAVE A TRIPLE CHIN ANYMORE!!!! Work in on getting ride of the double one too!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!